• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the worst game you've actually finished?

Pikma

Banned
Well, I'm not one of those persons who tend to stick with bad experiences just for the sake of it, or because of hoping the game will get better after a while, if I'm not enjoying said game I just leave it and tend to not play it (ever) again, for better or worse. Having said that, I've made my mistakes and I'm sure I'm not alone on this, so... what's that mistake of yours where you stuck with a game even when you were not enjoying it?

Mine has to be fucking Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, I hated that game from beginning to end.
Why did I play it? Because before release I was very very hyped about it (which was very dumb and naive of my part), I'm actually a big fan of Star Wars too and even more of Star Wars games, things like Super Star Wars, Shadows of the Empire, KOTOR, and Republic Commando (damn, I loved that game, one of my favorite games, ever) helped for this, I had high hopes for it, but of course, the finished product didn't deliver, hell it wasn't even near, it was a shitty game.
Why the hell did I stick with it? Because, again, I was dumb and expected it to pick up near the end, but oh surprise, it just got worse and worse, the last boss fight in particular was one of the most frustrating moments I remember from this gen.
What was wrong with it? Fucking everything about it's design, I mean, it had very good visuals at the time it released because it was obviously a high budgeted project, and it had revolutionary tech for that time too, so in fact, presentation wasn't the issue, the game looked goo... oh wait, I just remembered a thing I didn't like, the SHITTY animation engine used for cutscenes, but outside of that, it was decent to good. The biggest problem about the game imo was that the gameplay was super-repetitive and lazy, very lazy, it was a never ending loop of "hack, slash, throw something at an enemy, a rehashed mini-boss encounter", from start to finish, you were supposed to be a fucking Jedi killing machine but after the first three missions or so, I never felt powerful ever again because every pack of enemy, as shitty as they were could always cheaply kill me. Also, something I noticed back then and really stood out for me was that no matter how much coats of good-looking paint it had, no matter how many new techs it used, the game felt like a PS2 game with current gen visuals, it's design was dreadfully dated, It's like the dev team spent 80% of it's resources in implementing all those "groundbreaking" tech but forgot about making a fun game.

Maybe FU isn't the worst game ever, not even from this gen, but as I said at the beginning of this post, I don't tend to stick with experiences I'm not enjoying so maybe it's why I choose this one game.

So.. what's yours?

Clive Barker's Jericho.

It isn't that good, and I'm not really into FPS's but, I liked it even though most people think it's pure crap.

fvng

FF13, and i loved the battle system and a couple of the characters, only things that kept me going but overall a bad game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Fahrenheit. I can't think of a redeeming quality other than the initial tonal promise. It's a complete failure.

Spwn

Global Ops: Commando Libya

I was offered a beer. Still haven't been served it and it's been a year since I beat the game.

Bo130

Usually I don't finish games I don't like, but by my own opinion it would be P.N.03. By general opinion it would be Pokémon Rumble! :D

Pikma

Banned
Sonic 2006.

It's a rite of passage for all gamers, should be mandatory.

What did you do to deserve such punishment?

Usually I don't finish games I don't like, but by my own opinion it would be P.N.03. By general opinion it would be Pokémon Rumble! :D

Hey, I loved that game, but that probably was because I love Pokemon, or maybe because 70% of the fun I had playing it was because of my Co-op partner. :lol

Kainazzo

Mists of Pandaria. It's not a bad game, but it sure isn't for me. I have a friend that's been totally wrapped in WoW for the past year, and that was the only way I'd be able to play a game with him. From 1-90, Bloodmist to outer space to the arctic, I slogged through all those quests, numbers, and textboxes. I always followed him around because he knew what to do and had a lot more motivation, so it's like I played a linear corridor-MMO to max level. It sucked, but it was nice to play with him.

I didn't play much of anything for a while after that.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Hard to say. I'm very much in the camp of giving up on a game if I don't like it.

Most recently, Max Payne 3 because I enjoyed the flashback level and was hoping for more.

Sonic 2006.

It's a rite of passage for all gamers, should be mandatory.
I bought and played this for about $5 just since I kept running into people who would throw-out the whole YOU CAN'T JUDGE YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED IT or IT'S A GOOD GAME IT'S JUST NOT DONE or IT HAS BETTER PHYSICS THAN HALF-LIFE stuff at you whenever you'd make a passing joke about it's supposedly low quality. After playing it to completion and even *attempting* to achievement grind...

Yeah, it's easily one of if not the worst game a once major developer's released. Another year to iron out the glitches and loading times would've probably still left this as a complete turd of a game, unless your main issue with the final game is that a pointless day/night system wasn't finished or a bunch of other frivolous cut-content unrelated to the main gameplay.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Resident Evil 6
Why did I play it? Because a mate bought it and wanted to play co-op.
Why did I stick with it? See above.
What was wrong with it? An awful mish-mash of haphazardly-implemented modern game design tropes in what was presumably a misguided attempt to modernise the core of the franchise, the game was a chore to play and impossible to enjoy. QTEs in particular are so egregious (a perfect example) you can't help but wonder: Why? Who could possibly believe this is visceral or even fun?

tumblr_m2wmqcxuSj1ro5622o1_500.jpg

LA Noire.

My blood still boils thinking of that game.

Why did I play it?

After GTA4 and RDR, I thought R* could do no wrong (though Team Bondi developed this)... plus playing a cop in post-war 1940s Los Angeles got me thinking of LA Confidential and I was excited.

Why did I stick with it?

I thought it would get better. And then I reached the point where I just... I just had to finish it, or it was for nothing.

What was wrong with it?

Everything except the soundtrack and some interesting tech.

Hypron

Tekken 6's singleplayer. That part of the game was complete shite. To think I only did it for the achievements... Ugh. If you haven't played it, the singleplayer uses the multiplayer's moves except that it's a brawler. It is very awkward because when you are not actively engaged in combat you'll move like you would expect to, ie. your right stick will make you move in the direction you hit. However once you engage an enemy, the game switches to the tekken layout (so hitting up makes you jump, left makes you go backwards and right forward) even though the directions you hit do not correspond to the camera. The game also has horrendous graphics in single player (it must be running at a really low resolution because it looks like a freaking ps2 game at times).

Apart from that, I haven't really had any bad experience that I can remember. I must have played a couple of really shitty games when I was younger but I was probably too young to notice.

To give you an idea, my worst experience this gen after that was Bioshock lol. I tend to choose my games carefully.

Chris R

Super Paper Mario. I knew the game wasn't for me after world 3 but kept playing anyways. After another 5 or 6 hours I decided I had put too much time into the game to just drop it there.

Laranja

Silent Hill Homecoming.

Hadn't it been for the fact that it's an entry in my favorite series ever, I don't think I would have bothered to finish it. I felt like quitting a lot of times and had to take month-long breaks to be able to maintain my sanity. The game's insanely frustrating...

superman 64, and even then i only finished by cheating to get to the last level. i played the game initially on easy mode since it had no rings, only to learn that you can only get so far in easy mode and had to play normal mode to get the ending. i did that for a while, but i just couldn't take the rings any longer, so i used a cheat code.

Mael

Metroid Other M.
I know I talked about it for quite some time so I'll just say that I played FFXIII after that and well.
FFXIII is a masterpiece in every single thing in comparison.
It doesn't even feel like a corridor even!

Camp Lo

Banned
Recently, Halo 4. By far the worst SP in the series.
Of all time, Too Human. All I remember are the death loading times. I don't know how I made it through.

PaulloDEC

If the reviews are to be believed, it's Doctor Who: The Eternity Clock for me.

Why did I play it? Because I like Doctor Who and I like videogames.
Why did I stick with it? Because I actually kinda like it. It's totally nothing remarkable, but when you don't run into too many bugs it isn't so bad.
What was wrong with it? It lacks ambition, the storytelling isn't up to much, the gameplay can be a little dull and on release it was buggy as hell.

rockx4

I finished Back to the Future on PS3 yesterday, it was pretty horrible in almost every way. Story had so many plot holes, controls, camera and animation were shit. I don't think I've stuck with and finished a worst game.

Edit: Glad it was something I downloaded free with PSN+ a while back. PSN+ is awesome, it let's me play and finish a bunch of crappy games I would never have purchased.

Silent Hill: Downpour. Fell for the "its actually a good SH game again guys" and stuck with it cause I had nothing else to play.

DocSeuss

Uncharted 2.

It was so virulently anti-game, clamoring instead for attention and cheap bombast I had no part in.

I kept playing, because in the moment, the spectacle was cool. It started to drag on after the first few hours, but I hate to fail to beat games.

--

Alternatively, Darkest of Days and/or Legendary. Same deal--hate it when I don't conclude games.

Both have bad shooting, tedious mechanics, bad voice acting... lots of flaws.

Recently, Halo 4. By far the worst SP in the series.
Of all time, Too Human. All I remember are the death loading times. I don't know how I made it through.

Halo 4 is definitely one of the weakest entries in the series, but Halo 2 is always going to be the worst, I think.

Halo 4's levels--the way you could move around within space--didn't feel quite right. That they were missing a complete story act didn't help at all.

TUSR

Banned
Uncharted 2.

It was so virulently anti-game, clamoring instead for attention and cheap bombast I had no part in.

I kept playing, because in the moment, the spectacle was cool. It started to drag on after the first few hours, but I hate to fail to beat games.

--

Alternatively, Darkest of Days and/or Legendary. Same deal--hate it when I don't conclude games.

Both have bad shooting, tedious mechanics, bad voice acting... lots of flaws.

Worst game he said.

Sneak King.

Coming from Nintendo only gaming for several years I was used to satisfying experiences that weren't buggy and had responsive controls.

I bought an Xbox and got this game, looking forward to an adventure as the King who would serve up delicious Whoppers to the hungry masses. This game took my innocence.

rockx4

Yes.

I know.

I believe the world would be much better off if Uncharted had never been made.

I understand what you mean, I've been trying to force myself to finish the first Uncharted game for the last 6 months. The animations are so bad, and the shooting parts are pretty boring.

Sethos

Banned
Quite a few, one that springs to mind is Army of Two. Such a shallow, shitty game with awful gunplay and generally boring gameplay.

Camp Lo

Banned
I understand what you mean, I've been trying to force myself to finish the first Uncharted game for the last 6 months. The animations are so bad, and the shooting parts are pretty boring.

I always thought the first UC was terrible. I'm glad it didn't keep me from playing UC2 or I would have never have given the series the light of day.

rockx4

I always thought the first UC was terrible. I'm glad it didn't keep me from playing UC2 or I would have never have given the series the light of day.

I've been trying to finish it to move on to UC2, but it keeps boring the shit out of me so I end up playing something else. Should I just skip it?

Fugu

Tough to say. I strongly disliked Diablo 3 although at least part of that is due to contrast and the name attached. I also struggled to complete Sleeping Dogs, which had a pretty crappy PC port. I tend to not finish games that I don't like (except for Diablo 3, which I finished because I had to and I thought it would get better after I did) and as a result I actually think that Sleeping Dogs is a pretty decent game so it's going to have to be Diablo 3.

Top Bottom