• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft Uplay Thread of Everyone's Favourite DD serivce

iNvid02

Last Update October 2015
uPlay is fine now, if you're still upset about its existence all i can say is stay salty 😉

Update November 2014
I thought I'd update this OT because there still seems to be some misconception about the state of uPlay. Having used it regularly for a while now, it's far from a terrible experience overall. I thought I'd clear some things up.
Everyone has their own opinions about these competing services, why they exist and must be used to play their games, and how much of an inconvenience they pose. The below is just to demonstrate that they do work, and are not some obstruction preventing people from playing their games. Ultimately its up to everyone to decide what they find acceptable, but having accurate, up to date information available always helps in making that decision.

Downloading and Installing Games
As of a few months now games newer than AC Black Flag (November 2013) have automated installation/updates similar to Steam and Origin. Below is what happened with Child of Light when I needed to download it again.
For new games its as streamlined and convenient as other platforms. For everything released before November 2013 its still a hassle and unlikely to be retroactively adjusted - something to keep in mind before buying an older game from them.

1. Choose game and click download.
2. Set download options.
3. Game launches with latest updates once download is finished.

sshot199uih.png
sshot2ibu2s.png
sshot3leujd.png

Other features

• uPlay overlay in game which is similar to Steam and Origin
  • The next time uPlay starts up, press A on the 360 controller and it launches the game similar to Steam's BPM.
  • Client can be minimized to system tray for discreet notifications. Right click brings up recent games and other menus.
  • Game files can be verified if the download was corrupted or interrupted.
  • And the Offline mode, which has been there for some time now. The client can be started in offline mode permanently from settings too.
  • Username can be changed from the uPlay website.
  • Any DLC can be managed from the game page.
  • Download speed wise its as competent as Steam - Steam can max out my connection at 19mb/s, as does uPlay (and its accurate unlike Origin)
  • Release notes for each update can be found in the settings menu
  • Preloads before release
  • Download Manager with queueing etc
  • Install previously downloaded games / Detect moved game installation files
  • FPS Counter overlay
  • Beta client updates to test unreleased features
  • Patches for recently played games will be pushed automatically
  • Ability to set your status in the friends list (online, away, do not disturb etc)
  • uPlay client will remain minimized when launching from shortcuts or Steam keeping the game as the focus
  • Layout customization on games library
  • Download speed graph
  • Account Linking Status in Settings
  • Import Steam Friends

HdCgJpE.png
Oz53CdG.png[
654e149cf69a46844966fd79c152f1c9.png
sshot28isue.png

sshot1z6oen.png
e2d7ac8cec2409535cd833f27c896734.jpg
sshot3lju5e.png
sshot22auzb.png
sshot1ytscr.png
pJb629H.jpg
sshot1ebjel.png
sshot29xkkp.png
xB5tnG4.jpg
ICCydiY.png

a8ykMjg.jpg
JNkGk9b.jpg
tjCj3H7.jpg

**Original OT Post**

whatd0s3s.png

Uplay is a digital distribution, digital rights management, multiplayer and communications service created by
Ubisoft to provide an experience similar to the achievements/trophies offered by various other game companies.
The service is provided across various platforms (PC, Mac, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Facebook, iPhone, iPad, and
most recently revealed, OnLive) and is currently in beta stage and on Wii U, available in the Nintendo eShop.

Uplay For PC:
Uplay PC is a new desktop client which replaces individual game launchers previously used for Ubisoft PC games.
The client allows you to purchase and download PC games from the Ubisoft shop and manage your existing library.
Uplay PC is available for download via www.uplay.com. For those who already have a Uplay PC-enabled game with
a game launcher, the game launcher will autopatch into the Uplay PC client.

rewardsnoudj.png

Completing certain actions in game will net you Uplay points ranging in value from 10-40 depending on the action.
The actions are usually simple tasks such as collecting items in game, completing certain missions and sometimes
reaching a required level in multiplayer. You can then redeem your Uplay points for bonus content such as wallpapers,
upgrades, and exclusive maps/missions.

sshot2a8u85.png

sshot14aujg.png

client8xuml.png

The Uplay client for PC acts in a similar fashion to Steam and Origin, allowing you to manage your library, download and launch games,
add friends, sync cloud saves, and keep track of your actions, rewards and achievements. The Shop tab opens the Ubishop where
you can purchase console and PC games as well as other physical goods, while the Free tab displays the various F2P games available.
Each game has its own landing page with news relating to the game, the game's twitter feed and various links to official pages and support.

sshot4dts5v.png

iNvid02

while going through that pastebin list i discovered tintin doesnt ask for a key, so you can get the game for free if you follow the activation tip above

no idea if the game is good, but i'll take it

sshot1qhs1d.png

Uplay, another contender for Gaben's pie.

no one is getting gabens pie

he already ate it

Tomodachi

Well at least uPlay doesn't stop Ubisoft games from getting on Steam, unlike many EA/Origin games. So there's that.

Other than that I'm really against all this fragmentation of digital platforms, I must have all my digital games on a single platform (and I don't dig manually created shortcuts). But if the services are good and especially cheap with lots of deals, I'll give them a chance, something that uPlay still hasn't managed to do.

When I launch an Ubisoft game through Steam, then I have to sit and wait for Uplay to load up and hit another launch button to actually get the game going, it makes me hate this stupid service so much. It's one more layer between me and my game that I don't need.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
while going through that pastebin list i discovered tintin doesnt ask for a key, so you can get the game for free if you follow the activation tip above

no idea if the game is good, but i'll take it

sshot1qhs1d.png

Worked for me, cheers.

For others, after Uplay loads from the batch file click "My Games" and then click again on Tintin; you'll get a pop-up requesting confirmation that you'd like to bind the game to your account.

iNvid02

All it is is holding back content to "unlock". And it's usually extremely forgettable stuff that's on the level of preorder DLC, as far as quality goes, more than actual game content.

i agree, but i'd rather that then limited preorder dlc from 20 different retailers or this

i've bought nearly all of it :/

VvQakH0.png

Chittagong

Gold Member
Uplay and Origin are total bullshit, a control freak inconvenience I hope both EA and Ubisoft would drop. Would rather have the nice slick fully featured Steam experience with a single library, friends list and set of achievements.

Ubishit should just concentrate on making better games rather than pushing their BS platform on PC...I'm not interested in another client that serves no purpose for the consumer...

Woo-Fu

Banned
Uplay feels like a zero effort attempt to make sure Ubisoft is a member of the big-boys club. At least EA isn't trying to pimp another half-assed attempt at achievements with Origin.

Calmine

What a crock of shit Uplay is. I can tolerate Origin as at least it works when installing and downloading games.

Uplay is shite at doing this. No option to add serial key of the game to download, I try to uninstall a game and it just fucking opens Add or Remove on Windows, Lazy implantation.

Just get rid of it and just use Steam.

Bumhead

Banned
I have a free copy of Assassins Creed 3 that I got with my Nvidia card that I can't even be bothered to download because of uPlay.

Is that bad?

iNvid02

just booted it up today and its got a major ui overhaul

they seem to have addressed some of the biggest complaints.

no major new features though, still leagues behind steam and origin

LsY4rBS.png
xm2Ru15.png

FGMPR

Banned
Thank fuck I can now enter CD keys. My DVD drive stopped working and I had to find a direct link from a key selling site so I could install Anno 2070. How wasn't that feature there from the start?

Directly launching from Steam is another big plus, especially for those in big picture mode.

edit: didn't realise that post was as old as it was.

I know Uplay causes cancer and may be the anti-christ. however since we have to use it for Ubisoft games, i wouldn't mind having some neogaf friends. Uncreatively, my uplay name is Baron_Calamity.

iNvid02

i guess this will be the yearly uplay update for 2014 lol

- start ubi games from steam directly by linking the 2 accounts together
fc14ce8a26dc94fb5f587780f99000bf.jpg
932ae9e6f5d7af006464ace13b32ca3e.jpg

- start ea games bought from uplay easier
- voip party chat
- bug fixes and shit
- username change

key redemption was put in a while ago, and from ac black flag onwards the patch/install process is automated.

My experiences with Uplay:

Heroes VI and Duel of Champion has been, for months, a matter of coin drops. Head, and I can play. Tail, and it wouldn't connect to the Ubisoft server for the whole day, no matter what I tried.

I never had any problem with other platforms.

Dr Dogg

Well whilst snooping around the Uplay client for the first time in ages here's the Actions and Rewards for AC Unity, AC Rouge (PC will probably be the same next year when it's out) and Far Cry 4.

iNvid02

thread updated. didnt realize the extent of the misconception surrounding this program. guess now is a good time to clear some things up.

also seems like ac unity, crew, fc4 preorders are returning to steam. it probably was a mistake after all.

MayMay

Banned
Anyone already got ACU retail and can tell me if the game activates fine (and is playable)? Watch_Dogs started to be playable the weekend before launch so I expect similar things here..

Ahzrei

Banned
thread updated. didnt realize the extent of the misconception surrounding this program. guess now is a good time to clear some things up.

also seems like ac unity, crew, fc4 preorders are returning to steam. it probably was a mistake after all.

It's cool that you don't have any functional problems with it, but that doesn't mean other people still don't.

iNvid02

ok so looks like they figured out that people have hundreds of points left over and dont want wallpapers, so now you can get 20% off everything including preorders on the store in exchange for 125 points. . every $1/£1 spent on the store= 1 point from now on.

not great considering most things are RRP but at least its not a wallpaper

couple more features implemented, this one made me lol though
sshot3khku2.png

MrBS

It's been a while since this got a bump but it should be noted that the February update of Uplay finally introduced the ability to discover game folders when reinstalling or moving games without having to go through any of the tricks necessary previously to prevent downloading the whole game again.

Card Boy

Banned
not a might and magic guy but at least the proceeds can be used for the nepal earthquake

uplay and steam keys for the whole bundle - quote to reveal.

uplay

steam

online account

Thanks Took Heroes 3 HD and Duel of Champions Starter pack. I love Duel of Champions i now have over 1100 cards, it's the only card game i like next to Hearthstone and Shadow Era.

kuYuri

ok so looks like they figured out that people have hundreds of points left over and dont want wallpapers, so now you can get 20% off everything including preorders on the store in exchange for 125 points. . every $1/£1 spent on the store= 1 point from now on.

not great considering most things are RRP but at least its not a wallpaper

couple more features implemented, this one made me lol though
sshot3khku2.png

Not bad, at least Uplay gives you some incentive for getting achievement like points.

dex3108

]Uplay PC - October Update

d5cd9f90846fdf769eea65dcc1829794.jpg

Fellow PC gamers!

Our next update is here and we’ve got some more of those quality of life features for you. Including one that was heavily suggested in the feedback from our recent UI update.

In addition we’re also happy to introduce to you the new Ubisoft Club which you’ll be able to read more about below and at ubisoftclub.com

So without further ado… let’s get onto the changes in this release…

The Ubisoft Club

Join the Club and level up your game experience. Earn exclusive rewards, gain experience and unlock dozens of badges to be displayed on your profile. The beautiful part… you will gain all of this just by playing your games.

462c64f1012cd1b0efaa386a3cd5df5b.jpg

For more information visit ubisoftclub.com

Game News

News for some of your favorite games can now be found on their respective game pages in future so that you never miss out on what’s happening. First up to share their news with the community will be Limbic Entertainment, and you can find news for Might & Magic Heroes VII on its game page right now.

0c0fb5da7d73b9749b4493bd2d2b5449.jpg

Import your friends from Steam

Linking your Uplay account to your Steam accounts now means you can import all of your friends from Steam who have done the same.

To do that simply click on the Friends icon in the top right of the client, click “Add Friends” and in the new window that opens select “Import friends from Steam”.

The search will automatically start and once it is done you will have a list of friends that you can add in Uplay. Just pick the ones you want via the check boxes to the left and get those friend request sent.

Layout customization on games library

Following the feedback from our last update we have added the ability to resize game tiles in your game library and have the view saved between sessions. A big thanks to those of you who made sure we heard about this so early, including Rohith_Kumar_Sp, PBR_FreeDoo and JezzC and some of the good folks on Reddit who also brought this up.

e454c9b8859f3cde79a8ab39a696220f.jpg

If you have any additional feedback, feel free to let us know.

Account Linking Status in Settings

You can now clearly see if your Uplay account is linked to your Steam account under the “Account Linking” section of the setting menu.

ec1f609523c66bb55aaabfc06e483170.jpg

Download Speed Graph

For you speed freaks out there we’ve get an extra addition for you. A new download speed graph, which can be conveniently found at the top of the “Downloads” section of the client.

07c4b22abce21869b5bc8dd20cfaa218.jpg

That's all for now folks but as a continued reminder. If you have any feedback don't be afraid to let us know.

The Uplay Team

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1301942-Uplay-PC-Client-October-Release?p=11094475

scitek

Linking your Uplay account to your Steam accounts now means you can import all of your friends from Steam who have done the same.

To do that simply click on the Friends icon in the top right of the client, click “Add Friends” and in the new window that opens select “Import friends from Steam”.

The search will automatically start and once it is done you will have a list of friends that you can add in Uplay. Just pick the ones you want via the check boxes to the left and get those friend request sent.

This is actually a really nice feature. It's been one of my biggest gripes with having several different clients on PC. Obviously, Steam is the one I always have open, so better to work with it than against it. Nice work.

LewieP

It is cool that I can link Steam to uPlay.

Is there any way I can unlink uPlay from Steam? So I can play Ubisoft games on Steam without having to touch uPlay.

I know this is possible with pirated copies of Ubisoft games, but I'd prefer to pay.

iNvid02

thats a decent update, they got the basics covered at this point so i'll update the ot one last time.

It is cool that I can link Steam to uPlay.

Is there any way I can unlink uPlay from Steam? So I can play Ubisoft games on Steam without having to touch uPlay.

I know this is possible with pirated copies of Ubisoft games, but I'd prefer to pay.

nah, its heavily integrated into most of their games. they're not going to put the effort in to create 2 versions

Jawmuncher

Where's the update for the new games club in the thread? The club stuff is interesting.
NVM it's there just looks way different form mine.

I remember there being a Broadcast option, but it's been gone since the new UI update. Did they ever talk about why they took it out? I couldn't find anything about them removing it.

CHC

Honestly I have no problem with uPlay. I'd rather use Steam exclusively, but it's really not an issue at all. In terms of actual client responsiveness and aesthetics, it actually has Steam beaten by a wide margin.

iNvid02

I remember there being a Broadcast option, but it's been gone since the new UI update. Did they ever talk about why they took it out? I couldn't find anything about them removing it.

they just moved it to the in game overlay, the broadcast tab is there

iNvid02

...For everything released before November 2013 its still a hassle and unlikely to be retroactively adjusted - something to keep in mind before buying an older game from them.

well i was wrong, they're going back and updating how older games and their dlc are delivered so they just download and install automatically like newer titles.

games done so far (as of 7 jan 2016):

• Splinter Cell: Blacklist
  • Might & Magic VI
  • Lock On
  • Petz Catz
  • Petz Dogz
  • Far Cry 3
  • Ghost Recon Future Soldier + DLC
  • Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
  • Assassin's Creed II
  • Assassin's Creed III + DLCs
  • Rayman Legends
  • SC Double Agent
  • Anno 2070
  • Rayman 3 Hoodlum Havoc
  • Rayman Raving Rabbids
  • Rayman 2
  • Assassin's Creed Revalations
  • Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
  • Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

edit: also you can change your display name now
n2daNt8.png

Everdred

well i was wrong, they're going back and updating how older games and their dlc are delivered so they just download and install automatically like newer titles.

games done so far (as of 7 jan 2016):

• Splinter Cell: Blacklist
I'm so happy to hear this. I was putting off replaying it because I was dreading the process.

pKTxrvp.jpg

What button? That's the friends list window and the other window that opens with "Add friends".

Vuze

So I made a fresh install/upgrade to Windows 10 and am in the process of setting everything up again.
Since I barely use uPlay and when I do, I have it on auto-sign-in, I forgot my password. So I tried to reset my password but everytime I open the link from the mail and enter the new pass, I get this error: "Link invalid or outdated".

Tried different passwords, randomly generated passwords, different browsers... great lol.
I hope it's just a temporary issue...

Top Bottom