• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MarvelousAQL to release Skullgirls PC port with extended MP options

http://skullgirls.com/2013/01/update-on-the-pc-version-of-skullgirls/
Since we first announced our intention to bring Skullgirls to the PC, people have been clamoring for updates. But I’m ecstatic to report that Autumn Games is in the final stages of signing an agreement with Marvelous AQL to fund and publish the PC version of Skullgirls, and work will begin on the PC version in the coming weeks.

We presented Marvelous with two options: a relatively quick port that would mirror the feature set of the console releases, and a slower port with expanded multiplayer functionality such as lobbies. Marvelous AQL has graciously opted for second option.

Once we begin working on it we expect the project to take around four months to complete. As we get closer to release, we’ll have more information for you about the public beta, what new features you can expect, and much more.

Straight from the horse's mouth.

I always wanted to try this as it was supposed to have a general tutorial that would sort of explain some of the more crazy seemingly impenetrable stuff that fighters always have (wtf is a Roman cancel). How did that feature turn out?

notworksafe

I always wanted to try this as it was supposed to have a general tutorial that would sort of explain some of the more crazy seemingly impenetrable stuff that fighters always have (wtf is a Roman cancel). How did that feature turn out?

Pretty good actually. The tutorial mode was very good at both explaining what do to and also why it should be done. I was pretty impressed.

Ravidrath

Can't wait! Is there still a chance for PS3/PC crossplay?

Reposting from the other thread...

Probably impossible. :\

Our best chance of getting it done in a reasonable timeframe was Steamworks on PS3, but it's not an approved middleware and, now that the Steambox is coming, likely never will be.

notworksafe

Our best chance of getting it done in a reasonable timeframe was Steamworks on PS3, but it's not an approved middleware and, now that the Steambox is coming, likely never will be.

:( Bummer.

Are the extra costume colors still happening? I want my Cable Peacock!

Roman cancel is more or less a mechanic that returns a character to a normal state(kinda like a boxer stopping midpunch before throwing something else at you). It's good for mixups, fakes, fancy combos, defense, etc. They are dirt easy to do these days with a bit of practice. Only Parasoul has a similar mechanic in this game whereas everyone can do it in ASW games.

I'm really interested to hear about what the other new MP feature additions, UI tweaks, etc could be. Lobbies pretty much already sold me on supporting this.

Genki

Great news! Not only Skullgirls, but also more PC interest from Marvelous AQL. Guessing Half-Minute Hero did ok.

Dascu

Good stuff. Will pick this up for sure.

Great news! Not only Skullgirls, but also more PC interest from Marvelous AQL. Guessing Half-Minute Hero did ok.
Yeah, I hope this bodes well for future Marvelous (and Japanese publisher in general) releases on the PC.

dani_dc

Happy to hear this, I had honestly lost hope of this game coming out for PC. Not too big into fighting games, but I'll keep my eye on this title for sure.

Hopefully we get a decent price/pre-order discount to convince people to pick up such a late release. Still great to hear it's improved over consoles.

Great to hear that a fighting game is going to be released on PC. There's a real void in the market here, maybe Skullgirls can capitalize on it.

Nabs

I'll be there day 1. I hope you guys take advantage of all the mega sales and interesting ways to promote your game on PC. Good luck!

joe2187

Banned
I'll be there day 1. I hope you guys take advantage of all the mega sales and interesting ways to promote your game on PC. Good luck!

Release on day of one of those Steam sale promotions, have promotional Achievement included

Profit

Ravidrath

Does this mean you guys will be getting paid sometime within the next five years?

Should get money for the PC port soon, but it's only enough to employ a few programmers and a UI artist.

We're pursuing other options to pay me and the rest of the team.

dani_dc

Release on day of one of those Steam sale promotions, have promotional Achievement included

Profit

Unfortunately there hasn't been promotional acheivements during sales in awhile.

Still, if they want to increase sales I'd look into the possibility of including TF2-hats with pre-orders. That should help sales.

Ravidrath

Unfortunately there hasn't been promotional acheivements during sales in awhile.

Still, if they want to increase sales I'd look into the possibility of including TF2-hats with pre-orders. That should help sales.

Has there been a recent game that did hats?

Because we brought this up with Valve a year ago at GDC, and they said they were phasing hats out.

Ravidrath

So happy to see this is still happening, with a solid time frame and everything! I'll make sure all my Steam MP friends get this as well, since that's the only way I'll ever win a match online.

Keep in mind that the estimated schedule is "4 months from when we get the money." And we don't have the money yet.

We'd obviously really like to get it out in time for Evo, though, or at least have it in open beta by then.

The Cave.

Thanks - will definitely be bringing this up with Marvelous, because this dude could make some amazing hats for us.

Great to hear that a fighting game is going to be released on PC. There's a real void in the market here, maybe Skullgirls can capitalize on it.
Just being the only game fighter with steamworks at sub $20 24/7 ought to be enough to gain the attention of quite a few people, I think.

Gbraga

I really want to double dip, since I liked the game a lot, but if the community is as active as the PS3 one, I don't think I'll get it.

Ravidrath

Wasn't this game supposed to get some DLC characters? How's that coming along?

We got about 1/3rd of the way done with the first one before we were all laid off from Reverge Labs, and she's on indefinite hold until we can pay people to finish her.

dani_dc

Has there been a recent game that did hats?

Because we brought this up with Valve a year ago at GDC, and they said they were phasing hats out.

The most recent I can think about is Company of Heroes 2.

The pre-orders started at some point in September I believe.

Though I haven't seen many games with hats as pre-orders incentive recently, so it's possible that Company of Heroes 2 hats deal might have been on the oven for awhile before the pre-orders went up.

Woo! One small step for SG, one potentially awesome leap for fighting games on PC? Is Marvelous in any way interested in funding continued SG development for the PC version of the game beyond just the port itself? Ex. Could these guys be the window to seeing more characters (PC exclusive I'd imagine) down the line assuming the port sells well?

Aww, that was the biggest thing I wanted the PC version for D:

Oh well, getting friends to double dip for the PC version is still easier than having to buy a PS3 anyways. Specially when said friends are already fans.

Ravidrath

Aww, that was the biggest thing I wanted the PC version for D:

Oh well, getting friends to double dip for the PC version is still easier than having to buy a PS3 anyways. Specially when said friends are already fans.

Yeah, unfortunately the options for this just aren't very good.

We also looked into using GameSpy for cross-platform play. But the implementation would've been difficult getting the two networks to talk to each other, and we'd have to create a bunch of extra screens over what we need to use for Steamworks, and... who has a Gamespy account/friends list?

Top Bottom