• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem newcomers (like me!): How are you taking to Awakening?

Neiteio

Title says it all: Is Awakening your first go at the Fire Emblem franchise? And if so, how do you like it? (The main thread is filled with in-depth strategy discussion, so I figured this would be OK.)

I'm surprised how much I'm loving this game. I mean really, truly, LOVING it. I'm a busy body, so I tend to gravitate to action games. I don't usually care for SRPGs, figuring they'll bog me down with micromanagement and subsystems. But Fire Emblem Awakening sidesteps all of that.

This game is fast, fluid, deftly paced. Each chapter introduces new elements to keep things fresh, but it never slows down the game. New mechanics are succinctly summed up in one or two lines on the touchscreen, while you continue to play the game, and can be revisited in a handy guide at any time. Not that you'll need to revisit them. The learning curve is perfect.

Adding to its accessibility is the approachable nature of menus. Not sure what a stat on the touchscreen means? Tap it for a succinct one- or two-line explanation. It's probably been done before in a DS or 3DS game, but it just streamlines the experience. Everything in the game is so elegantly arranged. I can't stress enough how impressed I am by this. And did I mention it's FAST?

When you're looking at each character's inventory, you can even tap L to "optimize" their loadout, the game instantly equipping that character with the weapons and equipment that best suits them. I'm about halfway through the game right now, with a roster of 24 characters -- all distinct, all memorable -- and the Optimize function makes managing them a snap.

Speaking of characters, they're the heart of the game, compelling me to use the new "pair up" feature (merge two units to work together as a single stat-boosted unit that can attack multiple times and better protect itself). Beat a bad guy while paired and you'll see heart icons pop up over their heads. Soon you'll have the option to do a Support conversation.

I love these exchanges. The characters are so quirky, and the fact each pair can have four support conversations makes me wonder just how much dialogue is packed into this game. And it's always a treat to see two polar opposites get married at the end of it all, which impacts the storyline and gameplay in very significant ways later on.

I'm also impressed by the production values. The CGI cutscenes are g-o-r-g-e-o-u-s. I love the battle animations, which you can view in first-person by tapping Up on the D-pad. And the maps feature subtle but striking use of 3D: a deep gorge, swirling snow, pouring rain, birds flying overhead, parapets rising out of the screen with braziers burning bright. So good.

There's so much more I love about this game. I'm just wondering if other newcomers are having similarly positive experiences. Anyone else surprised by this game? I had played the demo, which encouraged me enough to make a purchase, but I'm still surprised by how I'm inhaling this game.

I'm only three chapters in, and this is my first FE, but I already LOVE it.

I may need to start on an easier difficulty, though. I went Hard/Classic, and I find myself starting over constantly when I lose a unit. Maybe I'll stick with it, though.

Takuan

Enemy AI is pretty ruthless on hard. I made a dumb move the mission where you're first introduced to Sully and that archer fellow, and wound up having to restart since I was in such a poor position. Sucks, because I picked up an "Ephraim's Spear" that was probably kind of badass, but didn't get it the second time around.

I'm having fun despite not really knowing the systems too well beyond the basics. So far, I'm quite happy with everything. Playing on casual mode because it saves me having to restart every time I lose someone. Does losing characters in classic mode have major repercussions to the story?

Jarate

Banned
your next step after beating awakening is to go back and play the older ones, which are just as good (AVOID SHADOW DRAGON)

there's also 2 "modern" games that aren't translated that are both really good, Fire Emblem 6, and New Mystery of the Emblem are both really awesome games. 7, 8, 9, and 10 are all really awesome games, and if you have the means to get them, go ahead and play them. They all have that great stuff you love!

Hale-XF11

I'm surprised at how addicting it is. I enjoy everything about it right down to managing inventory and making sure everyone in my unit has what they need to survive.

I was honestly not a fan of these kind of games before Awakening, but the timing seemed right to get into this one. I've been craving new and deeper experiences on my 3DS and this game delivers just that.

On Chapter 10 now, still playing hard classic mode.

Jarate

Banned
I'm only three chapters in, and this is my first FE, but I already LOVE it.

I may need to start on an easier difficulty, though. I went Hard/Classic, and I find myself starting over constantly when I lose a unit.

Make sure to sacrifice a chicken to the RNG gods before playing.

also, I would suggest starting over to normal. Fire Emblem may be simple games, but they have so much depth and strategy to them that a newcomer might find the harder difficulties too hard (although in awakening, you can always just grind a shit ton to beat those hard chapters, but where's the fun in that!)

Shaanyboi

Banned
your next step after beating awakening is to go back and play the older ones, which are just as good (AVOID SHADOW DRAGON)

Can I ask why? Aside from the disdain for the visual style, I haven't heard much reason for the hate it gets.

zroid

Banned
I dabbled with "Fire Emblem" on GBA (FE7, I think?) but that was merely a rental and I wasn't able to get into it much; I was also pretty young then. I decided to play on Hard/Classic, and am 5 chapters in. I'm really taking my time with it, and so far I've managed not to lose any units, though I will probably restart when I do. It's easy to grow attached to these characters.

It's already one of my favourite 3DS games, right up there with Kid Icarus and Push/Crashmo. Such a polished, deep, and balanced experience.

stuminus3

I'm surprised how much I'm loving this game. I mean really, truly, LOVING it. I'm a busy body, so I tend to gravitate to action games. I don't usually care for SRPGs, figuring they'll bog me down with micromanagement and subsystems. But Fire Emblem Awakening sidesteps all of that.
I'm not a newcomer but I just wanted to say this was the same as me with FE7. After a couple of chapters in that game I was suddenly like 'oh, now I get it!' and I've loved the whole genre ever since. It helps that FE has a very clearly defined, very well designed set of rules to play with.

I can't believe there was a time when I presumed Final Fantasy Tactics was pointless because "who'd want to play a Final Fantasy game that's just battles"? What an idiot. That's not even what SRPGs are.

Chrom

What Ephraim's Spear? Is this linked in some way to Sacred Stones (FE8) !?!

Ephraim's Lance. There are a ton of weapons in the game named after various characters from past games. Whether or not they're all actually meaningful to the continuity is something I'm not really sure about.

Jarate

Banned
Can I ask why? Aside from the disdain for the visual style, I haven't heard much reason for the hate it gets.

No support convos, characters are dry and useless, you have to kill of characters to be able to unlock certain characters, art style is bad, the game is easy, crappy story

avoid it dawg

New Mystery of The Emblem has the same crappy art style and still managed to be a good game because it included everything that was good about the old fire emblems

Jarate

Banned
A little confused atm. Story great, battles good. I'm just trying to figure out stuff like equipping weapons

you don't really "equip" qeapons in this game, as much as you just have them in your inventory to use. The ones you used last is your equipped weapon, or the one at the top of the inventory screen (unless you choose to unequip the weapon during your battle). You can also choose to equip a specific weapon during the battle if you go through the item menu

Choosing the right weapon to use though can and will save your units from death

It's my first one and it kinda makes me glad because I might have gone crazy trying to collect older characters for sentimental reasons.

Also... casual sold me. And it wasn't the "no final deaths aspect" - it was the saving even in the middle of battles part. It's a handheld with multiple features. Sometimes I like stopping what I'm doing to send a swapnote or something.

Palehorse

My first FE game playing longer than an hour. I've had the Ambassador version (sacred stones? ) and tried it a few times but just couldn't get into it.

Awakening has captured my attention right away and I played through the demo a few times. I'm only a little into the full version (downloaded it from eshop last night) but I'm liking the pairing system a lot. Much more engaging than the other version I have.

fates

Helps that Nintendo has actually been pushing this one, unlike some previous FE games.

Yeah but the stock problems really aren't helping...

I don't get all the Shadow Dragon hate, really. Sure it's not a GREAT Fire Emblem game, but it isn't balls to walls terrible like some make it sound. It feels so dated because... well, it's the first Fire Emblem game remade.

And Awakening is pretty boss. But I've been a long time fan so this thread really isn't for my input on that D:

It's my first one and it kinda makes me glad because I might have gone crazy trying to collect older characters for sentimental reasons.

Also... casual sold me. And it wasn't the "no final deaths aspect" - it was the saving even in the middle of battles part. It's a handheld with multiple features. Sometimes I like stopping what I'm doing to send a swapnote or something.
You can suspend in Classic.

Saving within a battle is pretty cheap.

Jarate

Banned

you can still do this in Classic. Although once you load up your save from the middle of the battlefield, it disappears

zroid

Banned

You can still soft save with bookmarks in Classic!

Jarate

Banned
My first FE game playing longer than an hour. I've had the Ambassador version (sacred stones? ) and tried it a few times but just couldn't get into it.

Awakening has captured my attention right away and I played through the demo a few times. I'm only a little into the full version (downloaded it from eshop last night) but I'm liking the pairing system a lot. Much more engaging than the other version I have.

Sacred Stones is probably the 2nd worst game that we got translated. Fire Emblem 7, Path of Radiance, and Radiant Dawn are all a lot better then that game

I don't get all the Shadow Dragon hate, really. Sure it's not a GREAT Fire Emblem game, but it isn't balls to walls terrible like some make it sound. It feels so dated because... well, it's the first Fire Emblem game remade.
Thats the thing. Its not a good remake. Remakes should look at all the advancements of the series and include them, like Pokemon Firered/Leafgreen, Heartgold/SoulSilver, REmake, Metroid Zero Mission.

Hobbun

i remember reading somewhere on here it's about 20 hours

not 100% sure though...

A bit on the short side, but not that bad. The only Fire Emblem I've played is Path of Radiance, loved it, and I think I spend at least 30-35 hours on it. Although I've always taken longer to play RPGs than most.

Neiteio

Yeah, OP here, and I'm also playing on Casual Normal.

(For the uninitiated: Casual isn't a difficulty setting, but rather a mode where fallen units return once you've completed the mission, instead of staying dead, and where you can save at any time. You can play Casual mode on Normal, Hard, Lunatic and higher difficulties. Classic is the mode where dead units stay dead and you can only save at certain times; Classic can be played on multiple difficulty levels, as well.)

I really debated whether to go with Casual or Classic. The reason I settled with Casual goes as follows:

+ I'm so hell-bent on building support levels for the units I pair up that I often restart if one of them falls anyway, but on the off-chance I decide it more efficient to press onward, at least I still have that unit and can see the rest of their story play out.

+ If I were playing on Classic, I'd just restart and replay each mission until I survived them with all units intact, anyways, and since I know I could do this with each mission eventually, I don't need to prove it to myself, lol.

I still feel plenty of tension -- and despair -- when a unit is near-death or dies, even in Casual where I know they're not truly gone. Victory is sweeter when I prevail with all units intact -- addictive, in fact.

And Normal difficulty seems just about right, for a newbie like me. My strongest units destroy most enemies in single turn, but my weaker units I'm leveling for support bonuses are still vulnerable to being ganged up by multiple enemies. It's enough to keep me on my toes, withdrawing to a safe corner of the map to heal when necessary.

So fun. I wish I was playing it right now!

You beat it already? Or did you play the Japanese version?

I hope it's not a short RPG.
It really depends on the difficulty you're playing on as well as how much side stuff you do. I'm playing on Hard and I've done most of the side stuff that's available to me and I'm only about a third of the way through the story missions with just over 20 hours played.

Hobbun

I remember Path of Radiance being challenging, but don't remember what level difficulty it was (if it had one).

But are Fire Emblem games normally hard in general? I prefer to play on a more difficult setting, unless it's actually punishing. Which difficulty would be best for Awakening?

It really depends on the difficulty you're playing on as well as how much side stuff you do. I'm playing on Hard and I've done most of the side stuff that's available to me and I'm only about a third of the way through the story missions with just over 20 hours played.

Ok, thanks. Sounds like I will go with Hard then, unless it is just actually punishing, cheap 'hard'. Like where you want to throw your 3DS hard.

zroid

Banned
I remember Path of Radiance being challenging, but don't remember what level difficulty it was (if it had one).

But are Fire Emblem games normally hard in general? I prefer to play on a more difficult setting in general, unless it's actually punishing. Which difficulty would be best for Awakening?

I think you will find Hard/Classic to be the sweet spot.

friz898

My response is:

FINALLY A TACTICS GAME THAT ISNT DISGAEA!

(I like Disgaea ok, played 1, 2, and 3 on psp/vita, but this is much more like FFT or Tactics Ogre. Disgaea sometimes too over top for me.)

I'm completely sucked in, currently on Chapter 4.

Neiteio

I'm about to start Ch. 12 and I've done four side missions (paralogues). So far I've logged 11 hours. I hear there are 25 chapters, plus prologue and finale chapters, plus more than a dozen paralogues, plus the many skirmishes that can appear on the map. This is not a short game by any means. And once I'm done with all of that, I'd be down to play again, maybe in Classic mode this time, or on one of the higher difficulties. This is definitely one of the beefiest games in the 3DS library.

Hobbun

I think you will find Hard/Classic to be the sweet spot.

I think I will give that a try.

Now, I just need to get the game. :( Still can't find it. My local GS indicated they should be getting more in today, and they've now filled their preorders. Already indicated they would set one aside for me if any came in.

DaBoss

You beat it already? Or did you play the Japanese version?

I hope it's not a short RPG.

I beat it without doing all of the sidequests, did only half of them. I didn't want to delve really really deep since I wanted to do that when I play Hard/Classic. It also helps I'm quite quick with games. I think it has a lot of replay value.

Hobbun

Have you tried some less popular department stores in your area? I got mine from one of those, and from reading various threads it sounds like others have had luck with that as well. Typically people don't go shopping at stores like that for games, and they should have at couple copies of the game.

Yes, I have. Tried the local Best Buys, Targets and Wal-marts in my area. Even tried the only Frys that is near me. All sold out.

That was on Wednesday, so I could try again. But I figured it would just be easier to just wait until it came in at GS. It's not a rush that I get it now, as I am playing Blue Dragon right now, anyways.

Neiteio

Oh, and the MUSIC! Some real ear candy, from the main theme to the mini-battles on the world map. Of the 11 chapters I've played so far, I think the melancholic music that plays in Ch. 10 is my favorite. Suits the torrential downpour and somber atmosphere so well.

Roman

I agree. It's like hating on Dawn of Souls.

Thats the thing. Its not a good remake. Remakes should look at all the advancements of the series and include them, like Pokemon Firered/Leafgreen, Heartgold/SoulSilver, REmake, Metroid Zero Mission.

Claiming that Shadow Dragon didn't 'include advancements' is just not fair. It is a tremendous improvement over the original.

Also I don't like the added stealth section in Zero Mission and pretend that part of the game doesn't exist on replays.

JLeack

Banned
First off, let me say that Final Fantasy Tactics is my favorite game of all time. No, I'm not kidding. Something about the classes, music, story, visuals, and strategy has made me go back and beat it more than 5 times.

Fire Emblem Awakening is my first game in the series. I am 3 hours in and so far my feelings are mixed. The way the maps are presented in such a flat manner is not favorable to my tastes. Also, Unless the class and skill system evolves substantially in the future I'm going to come out of this experience thinking it's boring and flat.

To balance things out, I am in love with the soundtrack and the story is presented very nicely. I'm just very let down because I came in thinking I might finally find another SRPG to like. I've played many over the years and only Final Fantasy Tactics and Valkyria Chronicles have ever been fun for me.

Top Bottom