• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner Bros threatens New Zealand govt if they release confidential Hobbit deal docs

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10864146

Warner Bros is threatening that the Government's release of confidential documents about the Hobbit union debate would be a "major disincentive" to future film-making in New Zealand.

The New Zealand Ombudsman has ordered the Government to release documents about the deal it struck to ensure the Hobbit movies were made in the country.

The Government secured the three movies by changing employment laws and beefing up the tax rebate sweetener for the productions, resulting in an additional $25 million in incentives for Warner Bros.

Unions fought the law changes and the Labour Party accused the government of chequebook legislation.

The documents, all of which opposed the 2010 unionisation attempt, include sensitive communications between Warner subsidiary New Line Cinemas, Peter Jackson's Wingnut Films and government ministers.

New Line has said that some of the documents reflect the company's "negotiations and innermost thinking, including certain strategic decisions, legal and personal opinions, offers from third party governments and other private information", according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Radio New Zealand applied for the documents in November 2010 under the Official Information Act but ministers refused on the grounds they were commercially sensitive.

The broadcaster appealed the decision and on January 31, Ombudsman David McGee ruled 18 documents, including emails between Hobbit director Sir Peter Jackson and government officials, must be released.

In his 29-page ruling McGee said the information in the documents didn't pose serious commercial risks.

But New Line warned this would affect future relations, objecting in a statement included in the ruling.

"If the government is not willing to adequately protect this sensitive information from disclosure, this will operate as a major disincentive to motion picture studios as well as local and foreign talent - to utilise New Zealand as a location for future productions."

Wingnut Films also criticised the move.

"I can categorically assure you that if the above information was released and a similar situation occur in the future, neither myself nor Wingnut Films would be inclined to help the Government again with such a candid level of advice and opinion," reported The Hollywood Reporter.

It was not clear whether the "I" referred to Peter Jackson.

Ministers must hand over the documents on or before March 1 unless the cabinet overrules McGee by invoking a veto which was introduced in 1987 but has never been used.

The first of the Hobbit trilogy, An Unexpected Journey, premiered in Wellington in November and has been a huge success internationally.

Prime Minister John Key said production generated 3000 extra jobs and New Zealand gained priceless tourism publicity.

Commentary from VFX Soldier:

2 years ago I wrote about the debacle concerning the Hobbit. Most media reports focused on the premise that Peter Jackson and WB were concerned about a union group looking to organize Hobbit actors and threatened to take filming to another location. I disagreed, studios have generally dealt with unions no matter where they shoot.

In fact, it was later revealed that email exchanges with the NZ government showed that while Peter Jackson was publicly saying the union boycott was a threat, he privately told the NZ government the opposite.

The real issue in my opinion was this:

* The NZ dollar was rising making it more expensive for studios to do work there.
* Subsidies have rapidly increased in other locations.
* Warner Bros used a minor union dispute as cover their demand for larger subsidies.

I believe these documents will reveal that negotiations had little to do about unions and had mostly to do with shaking down the NZ government in an unprecedented use of leverage by a US studio.

Shortly after the Hobbit crisis, the studios took advantage of another crisis: The Christchurch earthquake. A powerful earthquake hit the NZ city of Christchurch leading to deaths and huge damage which led to a need for government aid.

During that crisis, the studios inserted a SOPA-like provision in a disaster aid bill which would allow entire families to have their internet disconnected without proof of copyright infringement.

Will the documents be revealed? We’ll find out in March.

Commentary from The Animation Guild blog:

Must be something in the docs that Peter and Company don't want out there.

And so they are pushing back. Ferociously. And making threats to pick up the game ball and, in future, go play someplace else is an excellent weapon when the goal is to make the New Zealand government sit on all the overly-honest memos.

This is how, friends and neighbors, the game is played. Start with gentle persuasion. If that doesn't work, try threats. It is, after all, about leverage, and you use what you've got.

TUSR

Banned
During that crisis, the studios inserted a SOPA-like provision in a disaster aid bill which would allow entire families to have their internet disconnected without proof of copyright infringement.

are you fucking kidding me?

Dr.Acula

Banned
The govt should go nuclear on this. It's not like NZ has a particularly bright film making future. This doesn't jeopardise furture productions of Mission Impossible or Die Hard or something.

Man, how bad is it if they can't release the details? Something is rotten in Denmark
, New Zealand.

lenovox1

I'm pro-union, I'm pro the freedom of information, and I'm pro the freedom of the press. Let's see the type of shakedown Warner Bros. put on the New Zealand government.

Besides, New Zealand has been very, very good to Peter Jackson. I would really love to know the where else he could possibly film The Hobbit and any future fantasy films.

I'm pro-union, I'm pro the freedom of information, and I'm pro the freedom of the press. Let's see the type of shakedown Warner Bros. put on the New Zealand government.

Besides, New Zealand has been very, very good to Peter Jackson. I would really love to know the where else he could possibly film The Hobbit and any future fantasy films.

Ahem.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White

Scotland, Finland and Switzerland would do nicely.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Oh how I hope they release the documents. Fuck the studios for meddling in government policy.

"I can categorically assure you that if the above information was released and a similar situation occur in the future, neither myself nor Wingnut Films would be inclined to help the Government again with such a candid level of advice and opinion," reported The Hollywood Reporter.
aka... we won't conspire to screw your population out of money to help fund a movie.

XiaNaphryz

Edmond Dantès;47680274 said:
If you provide enough subsidies, sure! The studios are always looking for free money. ;P

Frustrating that this "race to the bottom" is being pushed by a filmmaker I greatly respect. Union-bashing and union-busting is so prevalent it's impossible to blame Peter Jackson for doing it too, but it'll make me less likely to drop my cash on the Blu Rays.

And using a labor 'crisis' to use as leverage to squeeze the government for sweeter tax breaks is just icing on the cake.

lenovox1

Edmond Dantès;47680274 said:

Oh, I know there are other beautiful locations for these types of films. But the unspoken part of my question was, "Where else is he going to film that is as cheap on both the crew side and the location side?"

And Cleveland would be "lovely," but they would have to pay union rates across the board. Doesn't look like they want to do that.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Frustrating that this "race to the bottom" is being pushed by a filmmaker I greatly respect. Union-bashing and union-busting is so prevalent it's impossible to blame Peter Jackson for doing it too, but it'll make me less likely to drop my cash on the Blu Rays.

And using a labor 'crisis' to use as leverage to squeeze the government for sweeter tax breaks is just icing on the cake.

I'm still pissed that Jackson settled with New Line. He had the money and power to actually afford to go to court and tear open studio accounting practices. Instead he just looked out for only himself and settled. I'm sorry, but very few people get that opportunity and have the ability to survive such a battle, and he said 'fuck that'.

amar212

Come to Croatia.

Small Country for the great Filmmaking™

We have everything needed for Hobbit-type of the movie, Bosnia is just two steps away for fierce mountains and crazy wooded nature.

Game of Thrones can do it, so can you Peter Jackson!

google: croatia + nature > display image results

The govt should go nuclear on this. It's not like NZ has a particularly bright film making future. This doesn't jeopardise furture productions of Mission Impossible or Die Hard or something.

Man, how bad is it if they can't release the details? Something is rotten in Denmark
, New Zealand.

Well... that's not necessarily true. There are two Avatar films on the horizon - supposedly going into production at the end of this year (lol).

XenoRaven

Disgusting.

XiaNaphryz

Well... that's not necessarily true. There are two Avatar films on the horizon - supposedly going into production at the end of this year (lol).

And also likely benefiting from similar subsidies and tax breaks.

Don't think it matters where the films are filmed now. It was mostly behind a green screen.

Studios are also looking to save money on post-production VFX work by going with VFX houses that can offer the most tax breaks/subsidies due to their location/government. Look at the current mess the VFX industry is in right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom