• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"A first-party studio" with 100+ employees is making a free 2 play game

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm unsure if by "a first party" he means a console vendor or an internal studio for a publisher.

The latter wouldn't be especially surprising, but the former would be somewhat more interesting, especially given that the size of the studio would narrow it down a lot.

Superannuation said:
superannuation ‏@supererogatory

Something "first-party studio with on the order of 100 team members" something "Free to Play business environment" http://j.mp/Vql5Ch
Source: https://twitter.com/supererogatory/status/303908303338090496

LinkedIn said:
Monetization Designer
A Big Game Developer
September 2012 – Present (6 months)Undisclosed

Currently working remotely part time for one of the world's top 10 largest game developers. The project is experimental and defies conventional methods of monetization. I am directing a first-party studio with on the order of 100 team members. All aspects of my work are confidential. As in all my projects, I am working with the lead game designers to modify the core game design to optimize commercial success inside a Free to Play business environment.
Source: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/ramin-shokrizade/0/b47/7bb

Sony have MMO experience and have done FTP games on the Vita so it wouldn't be surprising if it was Sony. But 100 people? Damn.

SmokyDave

I'm guessing Microsoft. Dunno why.

By the end of the next generation, the idea of a 'big' F2P game won't even be a novelty.

Eric C

E5s8O2j.png

hmmm

I wonder what platform it could be

CAU4ojw.png

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
superannuation is a Kotaku columnist, not a developer.

His background isn't related to the title.

Sony would be the most likely. They already have Home and Dust 514.

Rare has been hiring for free 2 play, but I don't know if they have 100 people on any of their projects.

Thoraxes

You know, if the first-party thing wasn't in there (or if we even figure out what that means), I would've guessed it was Valve just because of all their experiments and success with monetization.

I'm almost wondering if it could be MS, because of the inevitable connection with Windows 8 on the Nextbox.

EvB

Well the guy lives in Manchester, so that limits the list of potential employers down somewhat.

If Studio Liverpool were still there it would perhaps be them.

kadotsu

Banned
I just hope it isn't Polyphony Digital. Unfortunately I see F2P as the endgame for the GT series at some point. There are too many enthusiast in the driving community, that would be whales in a F2P GT.

I would like to see monetization and the f2p model applied to movies next. Could be interesting to see. 1 hour of the movie is free, albeit missing some scenes and dialog. Different actors and more lines could be added on a "pay to experience" basis.

I suspect it's Microsoft. Weren't Rare said to be hiring for a free 2 play game and with Phil Harrison now at Microsoft, it seems like this is something he would push for.

Top Bottom