• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft willing to consider a female lead in a mainline Assassin's Creed

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They stop short of saying anything like "Yeah we'll eventually do that." though, so I probably wouldn't hold my breath.

IGN said:

I asked Black Flag's director, Ashraf Ismail, why we've only seen men in the leading roles of mainline Assassin's Creed games. "It's a bit of a tough question," he told IGN.

"Really early on, we decided to tell the story of the Kenways. So we already had in place the idea to tell Edward, Haytham, and Connor. This was actually years ago, we had this," Ismail explained. So in the grand scheme of the Assassin's Creed III and Black Flag era, "we actually never thought, 'could this be a woman?'"

Ismail also explained that, "from the pirate perspective, there were a few famous women pirates. But it wasn't common. So we didn't want that element to be a detail people got stuck on."

Going forward, then, what's the future of Assassin's Creed protagonists? Men have worked since 2007, but they've stabbed or slept with the majority of the franchise's female cast. Will Ubisoft ever shake it up and introduce a woman as a mainstream icon?

"I would say it wouldn't be surprising to see a female assassin coming up in a mainline Assassin's Creed," Ismail told IGN. "But for us, for AC4, it was always Edward."

Chris Perna of Epic Games argued in an interview with OXM that female protagonists are a marketing issue for his games. On the subject of a female lead, Perna said, "if you look at what sells, it's tough to justify something like that."

The social dynamics of a woman in a historical setting presents so many more interesting opportunities than a man, don't they? But maybe Perna's right. In fact, he probably is. It's entirely possible that isn't appealing from a sales side. I asked Ismail if putting men in starring roles was a branding decision.

"I actually don't know what the brand team is working on for the next few games," he explained. "But the concept of a female assassin, I can tell you it's not a no-no, it's not something we're trying to avoid at all."
Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/04/female-lead-in-future-assassins-creed-wouldnt-be-surprising

Prologue

Strong female leads are hawt. We should definitely see more of them.

Ubisoft doesn't seem too convinced though. Its a possibility it seems but its not on their radar at the moment. Its too bad Rockstar didn't take advantage of their 3 person story arc and throw in a female in there.

webrunner

It doesn't help that they've established that any of Desmond's playable ancestors can't be female based on the way they present the memory thing.

Also I find it funny that when a set of games always moving forward would jump back to a more fun character after a bunch of backlash they would expect us to believe it was always planned that way.

Oppo

Aveline was a seriously great idea for an AC lead.

darthbob said:
I want to see a female Ninja in feudal Japan-creed.

Will never happen

Already happened. Tenchu. They're called Kunoichi I think.

Amir0x

Banned
"Really early on, we decided to tell the story of the Kenways. So we already had in place the idea to tell Edward, Haytham, and Connor. This was actually years ago, we had this," Ismail explained. So in the grand scheme of the Assassin's Creed III and Black Flag era, "we actually never thought, 'could this be a woman?'"

Why...couldn't one of the Kenways have been a female assassin?

Also, I know AC: Liberation is not a "mainline" AC, but realistically, does it really matter? The game played just like a regular AC game and had a female lead. The distinction is pretty shallow.

Lime

Strong female leads are hawt. We should definitely see more of them.

There are other qualities of a female character than being "hawt". Any inclusion of non-conventional characters is shot down as soon as we reduce the inclusion to the same appeal to the same audience that a male character would. Imagine asking for more representation of minorities in games and being granted with a minority character aimed at the same majority audience as always. Thus, "hawtness" shouldn't be the motivation for having a main female character.

It's like asking for female representation and getting something like TERA.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Just do it.

ben-stiller-do-it.gif

Guevara

lol "It's a bit of a tough question" and then some story-based justification.

More men buy the game and men like playing as male characters. It's that simple.

Ridley327

Also, I know AC: Liberation is not a "mainline" AC, but realistically, does it really matter? The game played just like a regular AC game and had a female lead. The distinction is pretty shallow.

To be fair, Aveline had the character traits of a plank of wood, so it could have been a Martian snagglebeast for the main character and no one would have been able to tell the difference.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

The important distinction would be Ubisoft expected one of these to sell 10+ million copies and the other to sell not much at all.

Now, let's step back and look at which one got the "riskiest" protagonist.

Oppo

Amir0x - Aveline could switch costumes (personas) which was an interesting wrinkle. Assassin, slave or aristocrat. They all had different strengths and weaknesses

"Willing to consider"....well how kind of you Ubisoft. We all love Mirror's Edge and Beyond Good and Evil for the hell of it. Boy, they would have been a tad more special with a space marine or generic douche #994.

Amir0x

Banned
To be fair, Aveline had the character traits of a plank of wood, so it could have been a Martian snagglebeast for the main character and no one would have been able to tell the difference.

Wait, she wasn't a martian snagglebeast?

I thought she was a female martian snagglebeast, granted, but...wow...

TechJunk

Really though, what was he supposed to answer? Of course he's gonna say its always an option, and that it's something they could look into. Risk coming off as a misogynist, no need to create bad press for your new sequel.

sangreal

The social dynamics of a woman in a historical setting presents so many more interesting opportunities than a man, don't they?

I think this would be problematic and not particularly interesting

edit: never played liberation though

rataven

I want a lead female assassin, I really do. But honestly, they haven't even made a truly great female supporting character yet. Don't know how much confidence I would have in them at this point (though I haven't played Liberation).

Haytham has an older half sister, Jenny. She was born before the events of ACIV, so I'm sure we'll see her at some point in the game.

Amir0x

Banned
The important distinction would be Ubisoft expected one of these to sell 10+ million copies and the other to sell not much at all.

Now, let's step back and look at which one got the "riskiest" protagonist.

I guess so, but I mean are they worried that if they put a female protagonist in a game labeled ACVI that it won't sell 10 million units? I don't really think anything with the AC name is a "risk" at this stage of the game... hell even Vita's dire market still had Ubisoft going "hey, not so bad with our AC game!"

Amir0x - Aveline could switch costumes (personas) which was an interesting wrinkle. Assassin, slave or aristocrat. They all had different strengths and weaknesses

Yeah I have believed AC games practically scream out for a disguise mechanic for years. The one in Liberation is fairly rough, but an actual good foundation if they streamlined it and made it more meaningful.

Satch

Banned
Maybe it's because I'm a woman, but I just don't see this as a difficult thing to do. They could have just made Edward into Edna or something.

Ridley327

I think this would be problematic and not particularly interesting

edit: never played liberation though

Liberation sidesteps the issue entirely, more or less. It's kind of ridiculous just how safe it is, considering it's about a free black woman stabbing people in colonial New Orleans.

Spongebob

Banned
By doing this they run the risk of alienating the predominantly male Assassins Creed audience. Maybe it's just me, but as a male I find it difficult to relate to female characters.

This will only end in a disaster.

Amir0x

Banned
Maybe it's because I'm a woman, but I just don't see this as a difficult thing to do. They could have just made Edward into Edna or something.

Hopefully, as a woman, you want a female lead a little more meaningfully XX chromosome'd than just a name change ;)

awa64

Banned
It doesn't help that they've established that any of Desmond's playable ancestors can't be female based on the way they present the memory thing.

Wait, what? Spoilertag if need be, but I thought we'd had the opposite established with Altair and Maria.

sleepykyo

Why would it be so hard to lead with a female character?

Because it seems the basic instinct is sex sells so the result turns off males who are afraid of being pervs and then feminists.

Something, something a white male lead is the safest possible choice since no one gets seriously offended, regardless of how you depict him or what you do with him.

It is a Vita game though. Who the heck has heard of a Vita?

rataven

You cut down your sales by 50% by having a female lead on your cover. Consumers are that dumb.

I think it's underestimated how huge Assassin's Creed is with women. I'm speaking anecdotally here, but an enormous chunk of my gaming friends enjoy the series. Much more so than Halo, CoD, etc. Would they lose a portion of sales? I'm sure they would, sadly. But I don't think it's anywhere near 50%. I'd expect the gain in the female audience would offset a portion of that.

Malice215

I just want a great game, regardless of the what the gender the lead character is.

I bet Ubisoft would make more money by having a female assassin as the lead character. Who wouldn't want to play the role as a hot female assassin in an AC game?

Top Bottom