• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U load time comparison thread - post your times now, and again after the updates

I tested several game/app load times on my Wii U last night, in order to test a theory my friend has. He has more "apps" on his Wii U than I do - more squares filled on the home menu, that is. And he feels that the system has become slower as he's added them. So I tested, then he did the same tests - and there may be something to his theory. All his times were longer than mine, across the board.

I'll post the (awful) load times in and back out of the apps I timed. This requires a little explanation. When you choose a game/app, a splash screen appears. During this time, there is NO loading happening - you can confirm this with an external HDD that has an activity light. I assume the Wii U is 'unloading' the Home menu, or maybe Nintendo just thinks it's cool. When the splash screen disappears ("splash off" in the below times), the game starts to load.

The "to game loaded" times below are cumulative, not separate. So 32 seconds for Tekken includes 19 seconds of the splash screen.

When going back to the Home menu, it loads for a while, then pops up a "please wait" message with a circular loading icon, and then that goes away a few seconds before the Home menu actually appears. The time to that "please wait" is listed, because our speculation was that the time that message is displayed might be the portion that becomes longer as you accumulate programs. That doesn't appear to be true. If having more apps results in longer times, they're all being extended.

All the below times were tested 3 times each. They were very consistent for me, with variation of less than a second in all cases (probably due to my own start/stop reaction time).

I don't have my friend's times available to post. Maybe I'll add them later. In fact, I may capture video of this on both of our systems, for exact times.

I encourage others to post times, for the record, and we can update later to see how good a job Nintendo does with their planned updates.

Wii U
Initial boot 25 s
post-update: 22s

Tekken Tag Tournament 2
19 seconds to splash off
post-update: 12 s

32 seconds to game loaded
post-update: 25 s

Home Menu 23 seconds (18 seconds to "please wait")
post-update: 9 s (8 s to "please wait")

Nano Assault Neo
14 s to splash off
post-update: 8 s

18 s to game loaded
post-update: 11 s

Home 23 s (18 s to "please wait")
post-update: 9 s (8 s)

System settings
16 s to loaded
post-update: 10 s

Home 23 s (17 s to "please wait")
post-update: 20 s (no "please wait" displayed)

F-zero 15 s to splash off
post-update: 10 s

20 s to game loaded
post-update: 15 s

Home 24 s (18 s to "please wait")
post-update: 10 s (9 s)

Netflix 17 s to splash off
post-update: 21 s

34 s to app loaded
post-update: 21 s

Home 30 s (25 s to "please wait")
post-update: 18 s (17 s)

Bump...now that the first update is out, maybe there is some interest in factual figures, rather than "I think it's a little faster". I may not be able to post my own comparison until tomorrow.

LOL why'd you bumped an almost 2 month old thread that no one bothered to reply to when you originally made it
pachah1.png

Wii U
Initial boot 25 s

Tekken Tag Tournament 2
19 seconds to splash off
32 seconds to game loaded
Home Menu 23 seconds (18 seconds to "please wait)

Nano Assault Neo
14 s to splash off
18 s to game loaded
Home 23 s (18 s to "please wait)

System settings
16 s to loaded
Home 23 s (17 s to "please wait)

F-zero 15 s to splash off
20 s to game loaded
Home 24 s (18 s to "please wait)

Netflix 17 s to splash off
34 s to app loaded
Home 30 s (25 s to "please wait)

I don't have the update yet, but even without it, your times are WAY longer than any of mine, at least twice as long.

I don't have the update yet, but even without it, your times are WAY longer than any of mine, at least twice as long.

Interesting. My friend's are all consistently ~10% longer than mine. Our working theory is that load times may actually increase as you fill up your Home screen with content.

You sure about that? His times about match up with mine. Take a stop watch and see.

Note you need to get the times right after you turn on your machine, the programs stay in RAM so subsequent tests without a cold boot will give much shorter times.

Ydahs

I don't have any comparisons, but I was really surprised at how quick the console started up, as well as games.

Besides that, I haven't really used the console often enough to notice any other differences.

JimboJones

Some times, don't have any of the games you do but I included Mario Bros U since it was in the drive at the time.

Netflix
10 seconds splash screen off
23 seconds app fully loaded (select netflix experience screen)

12.9 seconds Exit
15 seconds Exiting (full page of apps loaded)

Mario Bros U (disk)

10.6 seconds Splash screen off
22.8 seconds to title screen

8.3 seconds Exit
11.4 seconds Exit (full page of apps loaded)

System settings
10.3 System settings Load
19.3 System Setting Exit

I posted my times earlier in the update thread:

Opening System Settings: 15.5 sec -> 9.7 sec - 5.8 second difference
Closing System Settings: 17 sec -> 15.4 sec - 1.6 second difference

Opening Rayman Challenge: 14.9 sec -> 10 sec - 4.9 second difference
Closing Rayman Challenge: 16.3 sec -> 6 sec - 10.3 second difference

I tested out cold boots with and without discs in the drive as well, and the difference was negligible for an empty drive. However, the "Please Wait" screen when starting up the console with a disc in the drive seems to have been taken care of, resulting in a slightly faster boot up.

I should've tested out a few more apps but I got lazy.

His are pretty much right on as to how long it takes. If you've not actually timed it and are going off memory that's why you think it's quicker.

Maybe, will do a test when I'm home next.

Something to note though, I'm in Australia, so we're missing half the US features anyway which may increase overall load time.

Xedah66

Tried to go to the home menu after playing batman and it stayed on the loading wii u menu screen. Had to unplug the power after a few minutes.

The update has shortened my load time into and out of games significantly. I was under the impression it wasnt going to affect the former. Into games is about half of what I posted in the OP, and back to the Home menu is 9 seconds pretty consistently. I'll post exact comparisons to the OP after work.

Top Bottom