• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Robot and Frank, 2012's Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
OzM2OCml.jpg

Such a wonderful movie.

It left me with feels that reminded me of 2012's Moon w/ Sam Rock'swell. It had that subtle sci-fi indie feel thats treading on the line of the believable. (In fact, its almost scary how close we are getting in robotics).

Part Sci-Fi/Heist/IndieDrama, I think this was one of last year's hidden gems that deserves more recognition ala Moon. I was going to add a few points of why it reminded me of Moon, but I actually found a few articles that had a similar revelation and summed it up nicely:

The one this year, that deserves a very worthy comparison to Duncan Jones' Moon (Sundance '09), is Jake Schreier's Robot & Frank, set in the "near future" about an aging thief played by Frank Langella who is given a humanoid helper robot. A completely original and unlike-anything-you've-seen before film, Robot & Frank is not only brilliant in its story and concept, but heartwarming and often times charming, while also occasionally thrilling and entertaining...similar to Moon, this is much more of drama with a lot more emotion than I was expecting...

The robot is played by petite dancer Rachael Ma, who moves her carapace elegantly, making subtle movements that we can interpret as human emotions. It’s voiced by Peter Sarsgaard, catching perfectly a tone of voice that is both neutral yet expressive, reminiscent of Kevin Spacey in Moon.

Although the Moon comparisons are there, it did not do half as well in its grossing and recognition than the cult-hit. So everyone go check out this movie if you haven't! For the sake of arguement, I'll say this was a better, more well-rounded movie than Moon.
Don't Molest Me!
XcZgevTm.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom