• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Castle Doctrine by Jason Rohrer

Vert boil

Released now (well in two hours),

http://store.steampowered.com/app/249570/

--Alpha post below------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

headerAlpha.png

http://thecastledoctrine.net/buy.php, 8$.

It's 1991, and things are bad. You're a guy with a wife, two kids, and a house. You're nearly broke, but you know that they'll be coming soon for what you've got left, hundreds of them. You must spend what you have to secure what's yours. But every wall can be cut through, and every window can be broken, so you'll have to be smarter than that. With doors, wires, switches, and dogs---building something perplexing is easy. Building something perplexing that still lets you get in and your family get out is much harder. After all, deadly traps aren't just deadly to intruders. Death through carelessness is quick and severe.

But who are these intruders, and where are they coming from? One night, after your grand security plans are choked back by your dwindling budget, you head out for a walk. As you pass other people's houses, you notice that many people aren't home, and some of them clearly don't suffer from dwindling budgets. You climb the front steps of one house, knock softly, and find that the front door is unlocked. The gears in your mind start turning. No harm in having a quick look around...

RPS Impressions

The Castle Doctrine, the upcoming game from Passage and Sleep Is Death creator Jason Rohrer, is an indie MMO about criminals invading your home, and you invading their homes. A combination of base-building and puzzle-solving, it’s also an examination of how it feels to be both victim and villain. I’ve spent some time with an early version of the game.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/07/castle-doctrine-preview-2/

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/08/the-castle-doctrine/

Guide to the basics of the Castle Doctrine - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvpYianarNI

Corto

One of the most creative guys in the industry. I'll try it even if I am not an MMO fan just because I'm sure he'll give it a completely original spin.

Archurro

One of the most creative guys in the industry. I'll try it even if I am not an MMO fan just because I'm sure he'll give it a completely original spin.

It's not really an MMO, most like roguelike tower defense/home invasion game?

khaaan

I was a bit confused as to what exactly the game entails based on the description but there's a pretty good gameplay video on youtube that shows you exactly how the game goes. It looks really interesting and I'm definitely going to jump in once I get home from work.

Skinpop

I bought it, played a couple of hours last night.

Really like the concept.

Building is a hassle. The view is extremely small, you have to change view to swap building materials. It's very hard to get a good overview when building your maze. If you die you have to rebuild everything. It's all very frustrating. It doesn't help that your house doesn't feel like a house but more like Fritzs cellar.

Ivading other houses is a cool idea but you can kinda see thru walls which breaks the gameplay. I have a feeling this is intentional to not make it overy hard, but I feel it wasn't handled in the best way.

There is almost no music or sound which makes the experience dull and somehwat boring.

Great concept, bad excecution.

I read public alpha and expect free. Oh well, been interested in this since I read about it on Rock Paper Shotgun. Will probably check it out sometime before Bioshock.

Skinpop

I read public alpha and expect free. Oh well, been interested in this since I read about it on Rock Paper Shotgun. Will probably check it out sometime before Bioshock.

It's $8 now, which supposedly is 50% of the final release price. I don't see how he could sell this for $16 unless some big changes are on the way.

I finally had the chance to download this game and play around with it, and it is extremely engrossing.

The game is definitely opaque when you begin, which leads to quite a bit of trial and error. I don't know how many times I constructed something I thought would be at least minimally secure, only to watch my fortune looted time after time on the surveillance camera; or how many times I entered a home that numerous other people had seemingly succeeded in, only to fail miserably.

Sadly, nothing really feels like it has any emotional weight, contrary to what Jason was trying to achieve. This time-after-time, trial-and-error aspect definitely undermines the themes he was explicitly trying to achieve. After you've seen your wife butchered and your minimal possessions swiped countless times, the monotony of it all seeps so deeply into your brain that none of it really matters any more. The red pixels that spill out from your wives, your dogs, and your cats become less catalysts for reflecting on loss, mortality, and morality and more a mark of your developing nonchalant acceptance when they become an issue of endless repetition. As I gave myself ever more into the game, the only times something struck me as poignant were those when someone inexplicably murdered my children. But even this engenders not so much a trauma as a desire to scratch one's head.

In place of attachment to these ephemeral people and objects, what will really drive you is your own curiosity and ingenuity. If what draws you to games is the ability to take apart their systems, examine them, tinker around with them, and test them against people of like minds, you'll adore this game. My favorite moments so far have been those instants of serendipity wherein a system I was designing for my house finally clicks into place, or when, in a flash of epiphany, I understand the core design of my opponent's house and proceed to pick my way through without hassle. The surveillance aspect, however, ensures that these encounters will never repeat themselves to the point of exhaustion: if you ever find a shortcut through someone's supposedly impenetrable fortress, you can be certain they'll spend their last remaining money on suturing the weakness.

Despite its alpha status, I can't help but feel that, at least for now, Jason has simultaneously failed and succeeded. There is no real gravitas here, but there is quite a bit of enjoyment to be had nonetheless. What this has to do with the overall procedural rhetoric of the game, though, is something I'd like to consider at longer length and return to after I've let The Castle Doctrine more thoroughly digest me.

^ Nailed it. Looking forward to your further-processed thoughts. And only 8 responses to this thread! I realize the game hasn't been out long, but this seems like the type of game you guys should be all over.

I've been heavy on permadeath games lately, so the fact that this new "MMO" about home defense/invasion included such brutal permadeath was immediately attractive. As I've had no experience with Rohrer's previous games, I went into this one free of expectations. I was sold after the first few videos I watched. I've had about 8 hours with it now, not counting the goddamned dreams I'm having about trap design. I have to say it's one of the freshest online multiplayer experiences in recent memory. This game really got under my skin.

The permadeath aspect is of course what makes it tick. It's what makes it so simultaneously satisfying and terrifying. Your first few experiences with the game will not be forgiving at all. You will die, and you will lose everything, and you will have no one to blame but yourself. You'll construct what you think is an excellent trap only to return to your home and find your design flaws embarrassingly exposed and your vault empty. Depending on your personal constitution, you have the option to hang yourself and start over, or to try robbing houses with whichever tools you may have remaining so that you can acquire the money necessary to rebuild your broken home and keep its intrusion:death-dealing ratio alive. Viewing your security tapes gives you the names of your trespassers, which you can use in turn to rob their homes, but you'll have to act on any vengeful desires quickly--it's only a matter of time before the person who successfully robbed you falls victim to someone else and is himself forced to restart with a new name and new family. And when your house does its job as planned and you kill an intruder? The satisfaction in knowing that you just wiped someone's slate completely clean is incredible. Doesn't hurt that their full load of tools goes to your vault, too.

I'll leave the rhetorical analysis to flabberghastly and describe the meaning of your family in The Castle Doctrine purely in terms of gameplay. When you're away from the game for a number of hours, both you and your wife bring home wages. Your wife makes twice as much money as you do. Beyond that, there is no reason to keep her around. One caveat to the liberties you're given in constructing your defenses is that you must provide your family with a clear path to the entrance/exit. Couple this with the fact that upon intrusion, your wife immediately begins to flee with half of your money. It leads to security tape after security tape of intruders walking back and forth at the entrance of your home until they draw out your wife, kill her, and run away untouched with half of your money. It's absolutely unavoidable. In fact, the longer you play the game, the more you may realize your family has to die if you truly want to protect what's yours. Queue flabberghastly.

For gameplay's sake, the inevitable loss of your wife isn't without its perks. Protection of your vault is suddenly all that matters. The kids are more annoying than anything, and I'll often rejoice to return and find them dead. Without a family to protect, you no longer have to provide a clear exit path, and your home is one step closer to becoming the ruthless killing machine it was always meant to be.

"Ruthless killing machine" is of course only one approach to home construction. With the types of switches and wiring tools provided, it's also quite easy to make an array of toggle switches acting as a combination lock if you'd rather frustrate your intruders than fry them. Mazes are also quite popular as you may expect. You need a good deal of money to construct complex defense systems, though, and while carrying out a successful burglary against a nicely designed home and scoring several thousand dollars is a fantastic feeling, the risk involved in doing so will make you want to poach newer homes with less-than-well-protected wives and vaults. You have to be careful for other reasons too, as having a lot of money only makes you a more attractive target for others, and you have not yet witnessed determination until you watch the same person try to rob your house 30 times before succeeding and ruining you. This constant balancing act is where the game shines, and when you finally build a house that protects your cash and allows you to rack up hundreds of thousands of dollars relatively safely, you feel like a fucking king. Just remember that all kings die sooner or later.

Despite a handful of flaws, The Castle Doctrine is my kind of fun. It's frustrating, clever, terrifying, vengeful, enraging, but in the end victoriously, almost overwhelmingly fun. I've played few games with higher stakes, and the rewards come rolling in quickly if you're determined to learn. For $8, it's a steal. I can't wait to see how this game improves in the coming months.

Patrick Klepek spoke to Jason Rohrer about his recent argument on sales. Good read.

The Slippery Slope of Videogame Sales

What Rohrer discovered was that our new culture of games sales, something he’d benefited from and supported himself, had conditioned people to avoid full price.

"There’s a rush among game developers," he told me. "All of my friends that I know that are multimillionaires, they made more than half of their money in these Steam sales. Over the past couple of years, I’ve just been hearing all these stories from people. 'Oh, yeah, the sales are where you’re going to make your money, man! I did a midweek madness, and that doubled my money right there!” [laughs] 'I was deal of the day a few weeks later--and again! I doubled!' And they just act like this is the way it is and this is amazing. If you stop and ask one of them, 'you realize that most of those people who bought it, when it was midweek madness or whatever, don’t actually play it?' And they just shrug. 'Who cares, as long as I get their money, right?'"

To be clear, Rohrer doesn't really begrudge his friends for cashing in on what seems to make sense. But he does wonder if there's unintended consequences to this movement, as is the case with any "rush." On the App Store, the rush resulted in a race to the bottom on price, as more games decided the best way to make money was to charge less, hoping to make up for the lack of initial investment with volume.

(If you'll remember, this is what Nintendo president Satoru Iwata famously criticized in his keynote at the Game Developers Conference in 2011. He felt it devalued the quality of games.)

But he started to notice a pattern when Inside a Star-filled Sky wasn't on sale: no one bought it. Almost no one, anyway. Sales were flat in-between sales, and garnering a new level of interest on the next sale meant offering deeper and deeper discounts. As other developers offered bigger discounts, he felt compelled to do the same thing. In his essay, Rohrer offered this sales graph to illustrate the point:
2593691-8462489851-skyGr.png

I just bought it after reading that. Once I'm free this weekend, might play to give impressions.

I just bought it after reading that. Once I'm free this weekend, might play to give impressions.

I hope you enjoy it as much as some of us have! It's a... well, it's an enjoyably unnerving experience.

This seems like another good opportunity to share the clever pre-launch contest Rohrer is running in which you could win REAL MONEY! Maybe even enough to pay for the game and/or a fine dinner if you're lucky. Not only that, but any of the excellent in-game paintings could be replicated on a 20"x20" canvas to be hung in your real home. Details here: http://thecastledoctrine.net/stealRealMoneyContest.php

The Castle Doctrine's Steam store page is up. Alpha buyers got their steam keys a few days early, and after some hiccups with Windows 7 and subsequent lightning-fast patching, I was able to play a bit last night to get a feel for what has changed since I last played the alpha some months ago.

The tools' prices are much fairer (read: higher), so the player can no longer put together an overpowered backpack from the start. That'll now require either bravery and skill in robberies or clever trap design to capture bounties from would-be robbers of your home.

When you finally have a strong backpack, however, it's important only to carry the items if you intend to use them. I was inspecting a home and decided to leave without bothering anything, but upon leaving, I was told I'd abandoned my backpack in the home in my haste to leave. D'oh! I'm not sure which conditions cause this (whether it's random or always happens if you leave a home without taking a requisite number of steps while carrying your backpack), but the player I could have robbed (but didn't) was effectively given all the tools on which I'd spent my hard-earned dollars just because I wanted to have an "innocent" look around. Your other option is to leave your tools in your vault while you're out taking these "innocent" peeks, but of course that means they'll be up for grabs to any robbers.

The game is so well-balanced now... I'm about to get sucked back in.

There should be an OT? Or rename the thread title to remove the "public alpha now available"?

^ looks like the latter happened, but no OT. I might claim it and get to work on it today since I'm snowed in and getting paid to merely sit here. I'm still boggled by the fact that this game is receiving so little attention on GAF... it's a love letter to the intellectual gamer.

Kinyou

Wow, this game looks really interesting. The title almost scared me off though. Thought it would it be some rightwing game.

I've been playing the game for the last few days and having fun, but I'm sick and tired of having my "house check-in" fail and result in me losing all of my progress. I had a house that was great and sturdy, and as I was testing something, the servers decided to go down, so I lost everything. I know the game is still in beta, but it is frustrating and I wish it saved things better for when these server issues occur (maybe it does a save, forces you out of the game, and then doesn't let you back in until the servers are up?). There's no point playing this game when you have no idea if the servers will be working or rob you (pun) of your work and progress.

Protip: If you aren't put off by the bugginess and the inconsistent server support (that if it drops, you lose everything), always take screenshots of your house layout so you can rebuild it if the time comes (and it will, because the servers and client saving is asinine).

fleck0

I've found when I get tired of building things and then dying I'll switch things up and just spend my starting $2000 on burglary tools and mess some stuff up for awhile. This is actually the only way I've managed to make a significant amount of money (even a painting earlier, which I then lost).

I've really been enjoying this game. There is a lot of intense fun to be had both in building up a devious house design and in trying to defeat the devious houses of others. It's a deep battle of wits, and it's super satisfying.

I've settled on a house configuration that does a pretty good job of suckering people in and trapping them. When I leave the game and go to sleep, I've racked up as much as $17,000, only to see it all go away when somebody finally breaks through. There are people on the leaderboard hitting hundreds of thousands of dollars, so clearly there's a lot of room to improve.

I drew a diagram of my current design (just the entrance part): https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1ZFg_JCoxpITRDNBQ7cvI6woTPYN8gjKCGaVsT_ozcAM/edit?usp=sharing

castle_doctrine_maze.png

I think the key is to make the naïve intruder believe they're in control, right up until the moment when they're not. You want them thinking they can turn around at any point and run back out the front door, and then you want to trap them in and force them to go through a near-impossible maze looking for the vault.

^ looks like the latter happened, but no OT. I might claim it and get to work on it today since I'm snowed in and getting paid to merely sit here. I'm still boggled by the fact that this game is receiving so little attention on GAF... it's a love letter to the intellectual gamer.

Is this still in progress? I'm happy to help with it — The Castle Doctrine very much deserves a proper OT.

Is this still in progress? I'm happy to help with it — The Castle Doctrine very much deserves a proper OT.

I never claimed it in the Gaming Community OT OT, but I agree--this game needs a good OT. Go for it if you'd like--I likely won't have the time.

I also agree with your idea of giving the robber a false sense of control. I typically have buttons in my setups that allow hazards to be turned on/off independently of the main trap mechanism, and usually in such a way that if the player spends more than a couple of steps on these red herring buttons, they're already dead.

I never claimed it in the Gaming Community OT OT, but I agree--this game needs a good OT. Go for it if you'd like--I likely won't have the time.

Ok, I've claimed it. If you don't mind being the actual poster (I don't have posting privileges), I can pass you the post code later today over PM.

I also agree with your idea of giving the robber a false sense of control. I typically have buttons in my setups that allow hazards to be turned on/off independently of the main trap mechanism, and usually in such a way that if the player spends more than a couple of steps on these red herring buttons, they're already dead.

Yup, exactly. Part of the plan I posted above is a switch that makes you think you can control the door that releases the pit bull, when in reality the trap control mechanism is the cat down the hall.

Top Bottom