• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #116 - "The Game"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GRW810

Theme - "The Game"

Word Limit: 2000

Submission Deadline: Friday, March 22nd by 11:59 PM Pacific.

Voting begins Saturday, March 23rd, and goes until Monday, March 25th at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Optional Secondary Objective: A world like ours, but different

It's easy to set a story in London or New York or any recognisable place and rely on the reader's awareness of culture, society, landmarks and population. How about establishing a completely fictional town, city or even country? Rather than Budweiser or Mercedes or Twitter, invent fictional brands. Maybe your character eats not at McDonalds but at Behemoth Burgers and watches ANN instead of Fox News.

Don't change too much, just increase the fiction in the reality as we know it to convey more creativity. Think Lost with Oceanic Airlines and Apollo Bars, Tarantino's Big Kahuna Burger, Jack Rabbit Slim's, Red Apple cigarettes, etc.

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ
Previous Challenge Threads and Themes

GRW810

On a video game forum. This will be interesting....
Yeah I did wonder if it was flirting with the obvious but maybe that makes things more interesting, whether people embrace or avoid the video game route. For what it's worth I didn't actually think of video games when choosing the theme, I was thinking along the lines of competition in general.

I spent all evening going through emotions, verbs, adjectives, quotes, objects and more in my mind trying find the best prompt I could. Had so many ideas and being my first win, and not knowing when the next one will be, committing to one was difficult.

I was going to go for 1,500 words because I prefer shorter stories but increased it to what seems to be the average 2,000 because of the secondary objective.

Hope people has fun over the next fortnight. Good luck scribes.

Nezumi

Interesting theme. Opens up quite a few directions as to where this could lead. About the secondary object though. So do you really mean just some minor changes, like brands and stuff? Or could it be a bit more drastic. I don't know, like a world without males/females, a world where magic is real (basically an urban fantasy setting) or a world that could be if just some aspect in the past had gone differently?

batbeg

I've intermittently joined in on these over the years (I think from the beginning? Or at least damn near) due to infrequent access to a computer throughout that time. Still, I now once again have a computer and though my writing has dwindled to almost nothing in the mean time and no doubt suffered, I'm going to try to use these challenges to actually reignite my passion and maybe even make it a worthwhile enough pursuit that I can improve on myself. So feel free to call me out if I don't make an appearance...

I'm actually putting research and thought into this one. I think most of my last entries were just thoughtspasms I dropped onto the keyboard, with little to no editing in my finished products.

Anyway, I look forward to trying this out again.

Mike M

Nick N
This time, I will actually write a draft.
Mikey, you still up for reading them?

calvin-kick-ass-e1302010511948.gif

Let's do this.

I might even ask to be banned if I don't get it written on time!
Nothing like a little fear to get those creative juices flowing :D

Don't ban me Cyan :(

Nezumi

And no ideas were had that day... Well, at least no good ideas. For reasons unknown my brain always swings back to sports... I hate sports.

Cyan

Banned
I've intermittently joined in on these over the years (I think from the beginning? Or at least damn near) due to infrequent access to a computer throughout that time. Still, I now once again have a computer and though my writing has dwindled to almost nothing in the mean time and no doubt suffered, I'm going to try to use these challenges to actually reignite my passion and maybe even make it a worthwhile enough pursuit that I can improve on myself. So feel free to call me out if I don't make an appearance...

I'm actually putting research and thought into this one. I think most of my last entries were just thoughtspasms I dropped onto the keyboard, with little to no editing in my finished products.

Anyway, I look forward to trying this out again.

Awesome! I remember you from the early days. :)

Iph

Banned
Hoping to do some actually reading/voting this time and to get a submission together eventually. Why do I feel so laazzyy about writing recently... sheesh

Nezumi

Ok, I'm not gonna wirite anything this time. I still don't have a real idea, that I like. I'll still read all of your stuff and vote, though.

Mike M

Nick N
I was just about to ask if you guys are really going to let me win by default.

T-minus 7 hours, guys.

Edit:

I got my timezone +/- reversed.

T-minus 13 hours.

I'm just about done, I just need to stop tweaking it every time I look at it and declare it finished.

Fucking word count... Gyah...

GRW810

Hope you guys have been working hard on a good little tale. I'll be so disheartened if my first challenge bombs.

Saying that, a friend's unexpected death, the funeral and an explosion of family problems means I've done nothing. If I get anything in for my own challenge it's going to be a late, late job. So annoying because I came up with something interesting a few days in.

Good luck everyone!

D'oh, forgot all about this and now I've got to go to bed x_x

Hopefully I can whip up my idea when I wake up in 6 hours or so, if there's time before the deadline.

Scribble

Sonic the Hedgehog: A Fan's Fiction

Act One: Walk-through

Sonic the Hedgehog ran along the checkered valleys and hills of Green Hill Zone. He jumped on the heads of the badniks and with a pop! those evil toys burst open releasing the pocket-sized critters trapped inside, who then skipped merrily back to happiness and freedom. Along the way he came across golden rings that twirled gracefully in the air like little water sprites, and when picked them up they sung "cheeng! cheeng! cheeng!" -- or maybe, "check! check! check!" as they traced every individual step Sonic took towards victory. He ran further and cracking open the little televisions advertising life and death along the way, jumped over some spikes and rolled through loop-de-loops and up a half-pipe into the air (like the tail of a 'g' with a cursive flick) Cheengcheengcheengcheeng! - before landing at the signpost marking the end of Act One. And then again, in Act Two. But at the end of Act Three he encountered the evil DR.ROBOTNIK at the end of the stage.

Act Two : Lock-On

His legs were very thin, but his body was very fat. The body went up and down as he laughed, and it made you feel as if at any moment, the legs
would collapse under the weight of the body.

"Hello, Sonic!" he said. "It is good to see you! How are you? Today, unfortunately, I don't have a machine to crush you with. But wait -- that's not true. You see, the -- oh, wait! Let's open this ceremony with your song. I've always thought it was catchy, but I couldn't bring myself to admit it. I was just bitter at always losing to you, I suppose. But today's different, so I confess my love for it. Here we go!"

He began to sing:

You can run, you can try,
breaching the RGBY -- of this rainbow!
Chaos? None! Static Stance! There is not a remote chance
of changing channels!

(lose your mind...)

Then he began to turn cartwheels, all the while singing, "Sonic Boom, Sonic Boom, Sonic Boom!"

Then he said,

"What's wrong, Sonic? Isn't this how it goes? Sorry if I got it wrong. Sometimes I get caught up in my little world of loveliness. Don't you think, though, that the spirit of the song is more important than silly details like lyrics? Enough nonsense, though. Let me explain what I mean. So, Sonic. You've been crushing my caterkillers and bashing my buzzbombers for years now.
But did you know -- did you KNOW, my poky-critter friend, that, all this time, you have been missing the forest for the pinecones?"

Sonic tapped his feet impatiently and glared at Robotnik, who said: "All right, Sonic! All right! Please look up!"

Sonic looked up, and saw -- not the sky he was expecting, but a list.

"From the top!" said Robotnik. "Score! Time! Rings! Because that's just it! So. I've been doing plenty of research lately. I've been looking through rings. Exploring those bizarre holes you may have stumbled on on your travels. And I made a tremendous discovery. I have realised that this whole world is my creation! That for all the time I've spent trying to defeat you, I've already HAVE you! This entire world is a badnik, and you, Sonic, are the animal trapped inside. And I'm just a hologram controlling myself from the outside!"

Dr.Robotnik than began to leap around the place, laughing at the same time.

"It's a badnik. And who's the fuzzy little creature inside waiting to be freed? That's RIGHT! It's YOU! Oh, sorry, Sonic. I know it's such a terrible revelation and some humility little is in order here, and I'll try not to find it funny. Mmmft. Pmmmmfttttt! Pmmmfftheee-hee. You've been dashing with gusto in order to save the world. But I think you should save yourself first!"

Sonic said something along the lines of 'dashing with gusto in order to save the world' was never his plan. He just liked to run. As long as could run, things were cool with him. The egg man replied,

"Oh, oh. But that ties into it. You see, this badnik that you're trapped in. This badnik is the most still thing in the world. It sits on its base and stays there for years, until runs out of fuel or is surpassed by a better model. You run for a living, Sonic. But this badnik is standing still. So it's all for nought. Sonic. So continue, running! On to Marble Zone you go! But know that you're actually standing still! It's so tragic!"

Sonic didn't go to Marble Zone. He went the other way -- back on himself. There were no badniks or monitors because Sonic had cracked open the first time through. But Sonic the Hedgehog didn't care. He ran until he found spikes, suddenly noticed (this was the first time that Sonic ever noticed anything) that he identified with them very much. This is what happened:

sonic1004.jpg

sonic1005.jpg

sonic1006.jpg

Act Three: Sonic Cycle

And then Sonic came out of the TV! I couldn't believe what I was seeing. He was really blue in real life, and
has green eyes! His spikes are a little longer, and we went and had breakfast. Mum even made hot-dogs
for breakfast, and we went to school, and he ran in gymnastics class. Everyone said how fast Sonic was and
EVERYONE wanted to be his friend but he told them to go away and said 'No, I'm only friends with Alex.' And then when Tom tried
to beat me up Sonic came and spindashed him so he fell into the dustbin and said, 'No way, egg man!'
And the WHOLE class laughed because everyone knows that he smells badly. Then we came home and played Shenmue on my Dreamcast.
Sonic thought that Ryo moved funny and slowly, and he (Sonic) was like, 'does this EVER end?'

Hope you guys have been working hard on a good little tale. I'll be so disheartened if my first challenge bombs.

I know I shouldn't say anything...and it doesn't really matter and I'm being silly and overreacting and everybody will probably want to throw rocks at me or shove me with a sharp stick.

But the whole collaboration thing kind of killed my hype for competing. I'm sorry people took the time to read what I wrote last comp, because my heart wasn't in it. I don't want to do the same thing again this time.

Cyan

Banned
Told you there'd be some competition. :D

Alright bitches, time to write the shit out of this shit!

Edit: ZOMG Scribble!

Mike M

Nick N
I know I shouldn't say anything...and it doesn't really matter and I'm being silly and overreacting and everybody will probably want to throw rocks at me or shove me with a sharp stick.

But the whole collaboration thing kind of killed my hype for competing. I'm sorry people took the time to read what I wrote last comp, because my heart wasn't in it. I don't want to do the same thing again this time.

Well that certainly wasn't the intent, especially since it pretty much just amounted to me trading notes with Cyan and Tangent last time, and nothing this time : /

GRW810

How would people feel about an unofficial deadline extension? Seems to be a few of us working against the clock. I got started but had to sleep when it hit 1am GMT. It's now 6am GMT but I'm looking after our daughter until 11am GMT when my wife finishes work.

If I just had some free time this week!

Well that certainly wasn't the intent, especially since it pretty much just amounted to me trading notes with Cyan and Tangent last time, and nothing this time : /

I know, and not a big deal as there are no sheep stations here. Just being honest.

The theme this week is good.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Argh, why did I just read about this today?! I have an entire week off studies and this would've been perfect for passing time and making the story for a contest at the same time. Will read your submissions guys!

Ashes

Banned
How would people feel about an unofficial deadline extension? Seems to be a few of us working against the clock. I got started but had to sleep when it hit 1am GMT. It's now 6am GMT but I'm looking after our daughter until 11am GMT when my wife finishes work.

If I just had some free time this week!

op fails at dictatorship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom