• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 has multiplayer

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
//Mod Edit: Here's the full original interview that also covers other details about the game and studio: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...red-says-cyberpunk-2077-will-have-multiplayer

CD Projekt Red managing director confirms upcoming role-playing game will have unspecified "multiplayer features."

Cyberpunk 2077 will have a multiplayer component. Developer CD Projekt Red managing director Adam Badowski confirmed the news to Eurogamer, but did not go into greater detail.

"It will be a story-based RPG experience with amazing single-player playthroughs, but we're going to add multiplayer features," Badowski said.

Badowski also confirmed that Cyberpunk 2077 will not cast players as a pre-defined hero, but rather allow them to forge their own creation. "We'll have different situation in Cyberpunk," Badowski said. "Cyberpunk will have different character classes."

Cyberpunk 2077 puts players into a "dark future" in 2077 where advanced technologies have become "both the salvation and the curse of humanity." The game promises a nonlinear story designed for "mature" players and is set in the metropolis of Night City. It has also been revealed that Cyberpunk 2077 will feature sandbox elements, though this was not specified in any length.

CD Projekt Red's other project, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, may also include multiplayer. The developer recently said it was "thinking about something" relating to a series-first multiplayer option for the 2014-dated role-playing game.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/cyberpunk-2077-has-multiplayer-6405225

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
There might be a big difference between "multiplayer" and "multiplayer features"

Not really. How can a game have "multiplayer features" without having a multiplayer mode? Some worthless leaderboards for the campaign? That doesn't even count.

Incoming QQ about a single player game having multiplayer. Unless the fact that its CDProjekt is going to make people go "Oh. If its them, they can do it right!"

Derrick01

Banned
Interest declining fast. I wish they would hurry up and explain what that means.

Floex said:
Just make it like Dark Souls.

Not picking on you but this has to be the most annoying and overused sentence of the last 2 years.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
There might be a big difference between "multiplayer" and "multiplayer features"

Usually what you're referring to are "online features", not "multiplayer features".

For context, this was presumably part of this same question given it originated from Eurogamer (where there's also a lot of other news about Cyberpunk):

Eurogamer said:
The Witcher 3 is due at the end of next year and there's still much we don't know about it. For instance, will it have multiplayer (a first for the series)? "We're thinking about something," Badowski answered, "but I cannot explain it now. You can expect some information later on. Sorry for that!" I probed about whether it could be something similar to the Dark Arena mode in The Witcher 2. "I don't think so," he said.

You can be fairly confident, though, that CDPR doesn't have MMO ambitions for The Witcher series. "The story is not perfect for MMOs," said Badowski, and joked about how out-of-fiction it would be for 10 white-haired Geralts to be running around before him. "There are many different types of games that can fit better to the universe or lore," he said.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...s-of-clarification-and-a-whiff-of-multiplayer

Its too early in development. Their keeping the name out there but honestly its just too early to know what the final game will be.

Not really. How can a game have "multiplayer features" without having a multiplayer mode? Some worthless leaderboards for the campaign? That doesn't even count.

Why doesn't it count? They are features.

What about item trading, or having some barebones multiplayer missions.

EDIT: Ok, stuff like item trading or leaderboards might fall under "online features".

Stuff like what Dark Souls does with messages and such might be a bit of a grey area to me though. But there are some directions in which you can take multiplayer features. Fable II and III also have multiplayer features,
but I would not really associate them with your standard multiplayer.

Tacitus_

Hmm. Depending on what they mean, this could either be extremely interesting or a resounding 'meh'. Co-op dialogue could be very engrossing, for example if the players had different interests which meant that they would need to negotiate beforehand, or mid conversation. Or if it means that other players can influence the world somehow, that could be cool as well.
If it's just team deathmatch or something like that, meh.

Interfectum

I'm hoping it's this. I'd be OK with some Dark Souls-like "multiplayer features", but at the end of the day I want to play this game on my own.

"It will be a story-based RPG experience with amazing single-player playthroughs"

I don't think they could be anymore clear and, so far, CD Projekt Red has a pretty damn good track record.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I've always found the knee jerk horror directed towards every CRPG announced for multiplayer pretty damn hilarious. Cyberpunk 2077 is derivative of Cyberpunk 2020. You know, the table top RPG, which is inherently mulitplayer by nature, like 99% of table top games.

No reason it can't work if done right, and no need to make sweeping concessions to game design just to throw more players into the mix. Not sure of CDP can pull it off, but I'm also not entirely sure if they can pull off Cyberpunk's role playing in general. It's no Witcher.

FACE

Banned
180px-why57svb.jpg

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I've always found the knee jerk horror directed towards every CRPG announced for multiplayer pretty damn hilarious. Cyberpunk 2077 is derivative of Cyberpunk 2020. You know, the table top RPG, which is inherently mulitplayer by nature, like 99% of table top games.

No reason it can't work if done right, and no need to make sweeping concessions to game design just to throw more players into the mix. Not sure of CDP can pull it off, but I'm also not entirely sure if they can pull off Cyberpunk's role playing in general. It's no Witcher.

We seem to be starting at the potential denial stage where "multiplayer features" /clearly/ means Dark Souls or leaderboards, so I expect this to be a long process.

sflufan

Banned

Hah! Never thought of it that way! If anything, it's the single-player component that's the outlier! ;oP

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Hah! Never thought of it that way! If anything, it's the single-player component that's the outlier! ;oP

I know, right? There's really no road blocks in mechanics for most CRPGs to be multiplayer, no matter how complex. The issue is few developers bother taking the time to invest in ensuring the multiplayer is functional and what people would come to expect from an RPG. The absence of a dungeon master hurts things.

Look at Cyberpunk 2077, and let's assume they virtualise the skill system well enough (I don't expect an exact replica). It's planned to be a sandbox game. How cool would it be if there was a "dungeon master" mode where somewhere was given access to a toolkit that allowed them to place and organise NPCs in the game world? Script quests and dialogue? That's basically a table top RPG, which Cyberpunk is, emulated in a digital world.

And if they don't, that's fine, because as long as the game world is built under a system of variables for all characters, like a good CRPG derivative of a table top RPG should, then multiplayer should still work just fine.

Floex

Interest declining fast. I wish they would hurry up and explain what that means.

Not picking on you but this has to be the most annoying and overused sentence of the last 2 years.

It's an easy thing to say but it's something I really would like to see. Hardly any single player games have attempted this style of multiplayer and tend to go towards the more traditional i.e. dull team death-match route.

54-46!

Hopefully there's more to it than your average "Fight bad guys with your friends!" side story campaign, the cyberpunk themes have a lot of potential for different asynchronous multiplayer components.

Midou

That may be so, but optional and subtle multiplayer would probably be the best kind for a game like this. Finding info from other players or whatnot.

Cidd

I don't know how I feel about this, Devs always seem to ruin the single player experience when multiplayer is involved.

Tain

I don't know how I feel about this, Devs always seem to ruin the single player experience when multiplayer is involved.

I'm not so sure that they do.

Maybe I'm hella forgetful, but what games have been ruined because of multiplayer inclusion lately?

Arthea

multiplayer features tend to ruin singleplayer games, especially story heavy games.
Than again it's not a rule, just tendency. Let's hope CD Projekt Red knows that.

Going by the PlayStation 4 post-show interview, Watch_Dogs has both explicit multiplayer modes and pseudo/connected multiplayer in the campaign.

Did you mean both, or only the latter?

Just basing it off of the one video of the guy tracking the player from the roof top of the buildings, assuming it has some sort of seamless online function that puts a player in your world to track you, who's already on some sort of side mission to track a heist or something..it's what I got out of it though not sure if they'd use that for a RPG like cyberpunk.

Could be cool, especially with the sorts of things you could have with a cyberpunk setting.

Nobody should be getting up in arms about it though - we don't know anything at all about what this may turn out to be, and it seems they only have an inkling, being early in development.

Top Bottom