• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone: Heroes of WarCraft Announced || F2P, Card Game, Murloc Action Included

logo.png

Beta - Summer 2013
Release: TBD 2013

Official Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QdXl3QtutQI

* New Team: "Team 5"
* Focused on making smaller titles, back to "garage programming" roots, 15 developers
* 300 Cards at launch
* Free to Play
* Booster Packs will be bought/earned
* Estimated price for packs will be around $1, 5 cards in each pack
* You can pick one of nine heroes tied to WarCraft Lore, Garrosh, Jaina, etc.
* Heroes seem to be related to archetypical WarCraft classes; Mage, Druid, etc.
* Connected to Battle.net for matchmaking, will try to pair you with others of similar skill level
* Medal ranking system, as you earn medals you earn booster packs
* Practice mode included for deck testing
* "The Forge" mode, deck building/construction mode
* PC/Mac versions in development, iPad version coming later

murloc.png

Naka

What were people really expecting? They are going to save their giant announcements for Blizzcon...

Avallon

Now that is how you disappoint your fans Blizzard!

You raised My hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Zia

A way to get WoW addicts to spend more money. You know they're going to integrate chase cards with codes for in-game pets and mounts.

Naka

I really wonder if this will be PC only or for mobile & tablets. Seems like this would be perfect for an iPad.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I saw Jaina fighting Thrall and thought "Yes, finally, Blizzard All-Stars news". And then some dwarf popped up and we found out it was a card game.

Meh.

Axspell

Neo Member
I like card games, and I like Warcraft, so this is cool. I was never able to get into the official TCG since no one I knew played it.

Now that is how you disappoint your fans Blizzard!

You raised My hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Even after the letter they issued which practically spilled a sack of beans in regards to how left-field this would be? Really? I mean I thought it was rather well handled.

Just based on the announcement (I don't have the stream open to see what it actually looks/plays like), it could be a fun diversion.

It was pretty much confirmed to be an iOS title before. I don't know what people were expecting for an announcement coming out of PAX.

I love card games and I love Blizzard. This is great news, I would be pretty disappointed if I had waited any amount of time for this news though. I just found out about the announcement this morning.

edit: is this thing stand alone? or is it tied into WOW?

does anyone remember that Gem game you could play in Everquest while you waited for your mana to regen? do they plan on allowing you to play this in the wow client?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
People were actually excited over the "a little something we've been working on" wording?

If that's the case, then they deserve the disappointment.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Are the cards random? I feel like this kind of DLC should be illegal :\

That smells like Gatcha. And...didn't this practice for social games start being persecuted legally in Japan?

Miletius

Why the negative? People have always said they want an online Warcraft TCG.

Looks pretty good!

It's a pretty niche genre. I can understand why people are disappointed but it's a matter of checking your expectations.

Edit: and yes, it looks pretty fun to me too.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I'm actually really interested in this, and it seems like a really great entry into the free to play market for Blizzard.

What were people really expecting? They are going to save their giant announcements for Blizzcon...

Well their allstars game has fit the bill of not sequel or their new mmo, it has also been under dev for a long time. They're is also a lot of league fans that go to pax east, so maybe they wanted to demonstrate it to their target audience instead of WoW fans? Blizzcon most likely has titan and maybe a d3 expansion under it's belt already, no need to put all your eggs in one basket.

People were actually excited over the "a little something we've been working on" wording?

If that's the case, then they deserve the disappointment.

Blizzard is excessively vague, similar to valve. "Soon" could mean 5 months, "a little something" could mean what?

Anyway its not THAT disappointing. I hope card fans can find something enjoyable about it, it is not my cup of tea.

Forkball

It would be cooler if they used all Blizzard IPs. It could be fun, I assumed CCGs would have some rebirth due to F2P gaming becoming popular. I'm not sure if I will be so excited that I scream at the game though.

KingKong

Does anyone else think its weird that this isnt a phone game? Desktop only with iPad to come later is a bad choice for a f2p card game

Top Bottom