• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GDC Wii U Unity Presentation (Free for all devs, based on Unity 4 Pro)

Courtesy of a Nintendo employee present...
At the GDC Unity session about Wii U support! If you didn't know yet, it is free for all developers :D #wiiu #eshop
It is based on Unity 4 Pro and will be updated with all 4.x updates. Did I mention it is FREE??? :) #wiiu #eshop
Unity for Wii U will take care of some of the develompent guidelines. Open beta starts today!!! #wiiu
Shimada-san from Nintendo Japan is starting his speech as part of the GDC Unity Wii U session. Come here now if you aren't yet! #GDC13
He is talking about sales performance of Gunman Clive for Nintendo 3DS - outselling iOS and Android versions #GDC13 #3DS #eShop
Nintendo is inviting all developers to try and make your current game available running on Wii U GamePad only, for starters #GDC13 #unity3d
Tomorrow at 3.30pm there will be a Miiverse session, incl future developments of the service #GDC13 #eShop
Business Policy update for Wii U from the Unity session: 1. No concept approval, 2. Price and date set by the developer #GDC13 #WiiUeShop
3. Freemium is support, 4. Royalty share is industry standard #GDC13 #WiiUeShop
Nintendo and Unity booth are right next to each other! http://Gdc2013.nintendo.com for more info! Or find me... :) #GDC13
Tomorrow 2pm there will be a new developments framework announced! It supports web tech such as html and javascript. Come see this session!
Session is over! Hope you find Wii U attractive due to its accessibility tech wise and flex business police #wiiu #eShop #GDC13

I am liking the indie policies Nintendo's putting forward.

Thoraxes

This all sounds like really good stuff.

Both Nintendo and Sony really have the right approach for this new generation.

Also, nice Gunman Clive shoutout :D

NotLiquid

The tech leap might not have been big but in terms of publishing policy and indie support, the Wii to Wii U leap has been massive.

Props to both Nintendo and Sony for absolutely killing it in terms of dev support.

VanWinkle

Sounds great to me. I hope we get some great eShop games, but even more importantly, I hope we get a proper account system so I don't have to worry about making purchases on it.

Orayn

Dropping concept approval like Sony? Hell yeah! Great move.

Free, modern, capable, dev-friendly middleware for all? Also excellent.

Jawmuncher

Sounds great to me. I hope we get some great eShop games, but even more importantly, I hope we get a proper account system so I don't have to worry about making purchases on it.

Only thing holding me back from diving into the WiiU and 3DS online games and the like

Dascu

He is talking about sales performance of Gunman Clive for Nintendo 3DS - outselling iOS and Android versions #GDC13 #3DS #eShop
Yay Beril!

Great to hear how Nintendo and Sony are opening up their digital stores to small developers.

disco

That have to get games on the system somehow.
What an objective analysis.

Personally I'm really excited by what this might bring to the table. Those Gunman Clive sales really demonstrate what dedicated video game systems can still achieve in this day and age.

Meelow

Banned
The tech leap might not have been big but in terms of publishing policy and indie support, the Wii to Wii U leap has been massive.

Props to both Nintendo and Sony for absolutely killing it in terms of dev support.

The tech leap between Wii and Wii U is also massive.

Roo

This is good, right?

Well...depends on how you look at it
It'll be easier for developers to bring their games to the eShop and there would be a nice amount of titles available.
On the other hand, no concept approval means anyone can bring their shit to the eShop and go nuts with the price and still get away with it, pretty much a iTunes/Google Play escenario.

Maybe I'm missing something, but what exactly is the process to becoming a registered developer for Nintendo platforms? The WarioWorld site still has the (presumably) old information about needing to be an established company to apply.

Tiktaalik

Nintendo is positioning themselves to at least be equal to Sony in developers' eyes, which is great, but for consumers, if they have the choice of choosing between Wii U and PS3/4/Vita, the unified account system of PSN makes opting to go with Sony a no brainer.

Nintendo has got to make their account system behave the same as all of their competitors.

Oddduck

Maybe I'm missing something, but what exactly is the process to becoming a registered developer for Nintendo platforms? The WarioLand site still has the (presumably) old information about needing to be an established company to apply.

You need to be incorporated (registered as a business).

You need previous professional game development experience.

That's about it (other than buying a dev kit).

Orayn

Maybe I'm missing something, but what exactly is the process to becoming a registered developer for Nintendo platforms? The WarioWorld site still has the (presumably) old information about needing to be an established company to apply.

You still do, but an individual can still qualify easily enough. No need for an office, multiple employees, etc., just paperwork and formalities.

You still need to be a company, you just don't have to have an office address, iirc.

Striek

Sounds great, well done Nintendo.
It'll be easier for developers to bring their games to the eShop and there would be a nice amount of titles available.
On the other hand, no concept approval means anyone can bring their shit to the eShop and go nuts with the price and still get away with it, pretty much a iTunes/Google Play escenario.
Nothing wrong with that. iTunes and Google Play are home to hundreds of really great gems, consumers can sort the wheat from the chaff via word of mouth, exactly how it should be.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games

Yup. No one likes to give Nintendo credit for anything good that it does, but the steps the company is taking with regards to Unity support and seemingly HTML and Javascript development is great in terms of opening up the platform for way more people to develop games.

The biggest takeaway for me though is that this allows for F2P games to come out through the eShop. This could end up being a huge coup for Nintendo, although I'd honestly want to see them dive into the F2P space first on a Nintendo platform before other companies start doing it.

You don't have to 'worry' anyway. There are very few scenarios in which Nintendo wouldn't just transfer your licenses, providing you made the right noises. I can see everything I've ever bought via club Nintendo and the nnid sign-in for the digital promotion service... If you have reasonable reason to log in with an NNID on a new system I believe they actually change a flag on your account that allows you to do so. They certainly send repaired systems and refurbs back to people with that ability. The account system is bizarrely flawed in that you have to call Nintendo -- god knows they could probably save a fortune on paying CSRs if they just adopted Microsoft's model-- but personally I'm not worried about losing purchases. There's just no way I'd let Nintendo do yhat to me.

NateDrake

So it is the same as Sony with PS4 in scrapping the approval process and allowing more freedom to developers. People were excited about this yesterday in regards to PS4, so this is good for Wii U.

Yup. No one likes to give Nintendo credit for anything good that it does, but the steps the company is taking with regards to Unity support and seemingly HTML and Javascript development is great in terms of opening up the platform for way more people to develop games.

The biggest takeaway for me though is that this allows for F2P games to come out through the eShop. This could end up being a huge coup for Nintendo, although I'd honestly want to see them dive into the F2P space first on a Nintendo platform before other companies start doing it.

well there sort of is already a f2p game on wii u, tank tank tank

You need to be incorporated (registered as a business).

You need previous professional game development experience.

That's about it (other than buying a dev kit).

You still do, but an individual can still qualify easily enough. No need for an office, multiple employees, etc., just paperwork and formalities.

You still need to be a company, you just don't have to have an office address, iirc.

Ah I see. Thanks for the responses.

VanWinkle

You don't have to 'worry' anyway. There are very few scenarios in which Nintendo wouldn't just transfer your licenses, providing you made the right noises. I can see everything I've ever bought via club Nintendo and the nnid sign-in for the digital promotion service... If you have reasonable reason to log in with an NNID on a new system I believe they actually change a flag on your account that allows you to do so. They certainly send repaired systems and refurbs back to people with that ability. Thre account system is bizarrely flawed in thayt you have to call Nintendo -- god knows they could probably save a fortune on paying CSRs if they just adopted Microsoft's model-- but personally I'm not worried about losing purchases. There's just no way I'd let Nintendo do yhat to me.

Yeah, but I don't want to jump through hoops to get my content back that I bought. I shouldn't have to call Nintendo, and I DEFINITELY shouldn't have to file a police report. Maybe I'm spoiled by how great it is on Sony's platforms, but when I got my second Wii U (two days after my first one, which was a Basic, when the store got more Deluxe models in which is what i wanted) and realized I couldn't even log into to the Nintendo Network account I created on my first system with the NNID I wanted, I am since very weary of anything Nintendo online related. They clearly are severely behind the times. Digital content should be tied to the account, not in unison with the hardware.

Top Bottom