• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video footage of early build of Tomb Raider that had monsters

So one of the big complaints with the new Tomb Raider is that the cool looking japenese creatures/monsters that were shown when concept art for the game leaked out a few years ago are nowhere to be found in the game. Originally it was going to be inspired by old school Resident Evil, Shadow of the Collosus and Ico instead of Uncharted and Call of Duty. Instead replaced by generic military guys and
samurai swordsmen
. I was doing some digging and apparently this website has video footage showing the game when it was still going to be an open world metroidvania survival horror reboot instead of a "Survival" game:

http://stickskills.com/2013/03/18/tomb-raider-reboot-originally-featured-monsters-and-demons/

and here is concept art of what i'm talking about:

tombraider1ggbi.jpg

tumblr_kofnmjPzY01qzhm43o1_500.jpg

Everybody keeps saying maybe in the next game but will they really do 2 Tomb Raider games that take place in Japan with Japenese esque mythology? I doubt it. I'm concerned there going to continue copying more militaristic games where you fight waves of soldier guys on turrets and QTE the head mercenary leader.

Jawmuncher

Oh Wow that just looks awesome.
Even the Prototype footage was pretty rad.
Honestly I think I would have enjoyed the game a whole lot more had it taken this route instead.

To be fair
Super samurai demons
is very Tomb Raider

they werent even demons though if you look closely they look like regular humans only the
big Oni guy actually looked like a zombie under the mask and made growling noises. I don't even know if the samurais were supposed to be undead or if there just descendants of the original stormguard still living on the island

hteng

Banned
yea, when i was playing through the game, i kept hoping for some supernatural enemies but all i get were some lame ass samurais.

sn00zer

they werent even demons though if you look closely they look like regular humans only the
big Oni guy actually looked like a zombie under the mask and made growling noises. I don't even know if the samurais were supposed to be undead or if there just descendants of the original stormguard still living on the island

Thats just being picky.... I would not mind more supernatural threats in the next one...hopefully its not as hardcore though

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I was disappointed these guys never showed up. While I really enjoyed the game,
the Oni just being samurai warriors left me a tad underwhelmed.
Interesting to see, and hope more creative enemies come into play in the sequel:

JDSN

Banned
No wonder the finishers are so rough, they werent meant to be used on human. Shame that this will never see the light of day playable.

iammeiam

Honestly the most surprising part to me is that there was a version of the game in which Lara wore full-on pants at parts. Pants!

Eusis

Everybody keeps saying maybe in the next game but will they really do 2 Tomb Raider games that take place in Japan with Japenese esque mythology? I doubt it. I'm concerned there going to continue copying more militaristic games where you fight waves of soldier guys on turrets and QTE the head mercenary leader.
Well, I doubt they'd recycle the exact setting again, but it does seem possible they'd move away from the direction this one went in if it's underperforming enough. And it did go from a game that sounded REALLY interesting to a victim of the current industry trends, which are really getting absurd.

I'm happy with the direction they went with in the final game, definitely my GOTY so far.

It's a good game but just like Dead Space 3 and ME 3, decided to become a slave of industry trends instead of being a trailblazer that stands on its own two feet and that shits getting old. A real shame because the game has so many other things going for it like beautiful graphics and art direction, a good score and some fun gameplay.

synce

I thought the final game was perfectly fine except for Lara's face model, but my expectations were about as low as they could get :)

Pagusas

Elden Member
Seriously? That stuff looks horrible. I hate seeing monsters in games that are trying to be somewhat grounded. Monsters ruin so many games (far cry, crysis (aliens), crackdown, uncharted) they suck all the humanity and interest out of a game for me. Why fight commandos or smugglers who can fire back and use tactics on you when developers can just throw in monster closets or "just rush the target" monsters. I hope one day games (that aren't about monsters) stop randomly throwing them in.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Seriously? That stuff looks horrible. I hate seeing monsters in games that are trying to be somewhat grounded. Monsters ruin so many games (far cry, crysis (aliens), crackdown, uncharted) they suck all the humanity and interest out of a game for me. Why fight commandos or smugglers who can fire back and use tactics on you when developers can just throw in monster closets or "just rush the target" monsters. I hope one day games (that aren't about monsters) stop randomly throwing them in.

But Tomb Raider has always had monsters and demons. It's nothing new to the franchise.

Camp Lo

Banned
I don't know how I'd feel about that... but considering I loved fighting the
Japanese
moreso than regular goons, I would have gone for that.

Did you not play the first Tomb Raider??

Jac_Solar

Wow. That was awesome. In regards to them putting this into the sequel; has any developer actually intentionally gone back to making a more "risky", or niche-y title after making a decent hit?

I gotta wonder when they made this, though. It must have been at least 1+ year ago, I assume, considering how much has changed. Is it normal to make pre-pre alpha, or early test versions as indicated by this (For concept approval or whatever.), that look this good/advanced?

Monster closets aren't limited to monsters -- they are used for mobs in general.

Oh god, that cone thing with eyebrows is nightmare inducing.

The carrot?

BowieZ

Banned
Tomb-raider-torso-monster-papercraft.jpg
250px-Centaur.PNG
280px-Area_51_Alien.jpg
xian131.jpg

freakymummy0fj.jpg

Dragon.jpg

etc

Eusis

How grounded is "somewhat grounded"? Because Tomb Raider's always been derived from pulp magazine-type action as I recall (just as Indiana Jones is), and as noted always embraced the more fantastic from the start unlike Uncharted, which saved it for very late in 1 and 2. Plus I get the impression these wouldn't have been a late game twist but something that's out there right near the opening.

Top Bottom