• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Free Copy of BioShock Infinite (Steam) Contest

Toki767

With all the talk about BioShock Infinite (obviously since it just came out) I figured this would be a good chance for one lucky person who is low on funds and would not only like to play, but discuss with others what many feel to be not only Game of the Year, but Game of the Generation.

So with that said, I will give one person a copy of BioShock Infinite on Steam. How you ask? Simply express your love for narrative in a game. It can be a drawing, a comic, a poem, an essay, etc...It can be funny, it can serious, it can be witty, whatever you decide.

The winner will be chosen in a week, or when entries have stopped coming in. Gotta give everyone a chance, especially if they want to take their time.

Side notes:

1: Obviously this is for the PC version, so hopefully you have a PC capable of running the game well.

2: I know we Steam people like to hoard games and never play them, so if you enter and win, please do try to actually play the game. Not that I can force you. :p

Good luck to anyone entering!

Ploid 3.0

I was going to try to make a poem or something expressing how I sometimes care about game stories (MGS) but I just rather games make me think (Chess, puzzle games, strategy games, character building games, MGS).

Ocaso

But if we havent played it, how can we love the narrative?!

In all seriousness, I love these gestures on GAF even if I don't participate. My PC isn't up to snuff, but good luck to everyone else.

Shady859

Mix all the letters of the Steam code up and put them in soup.

Eat one letter.

Spill soup on floor.

Post picture.

Profit.

:) Good game not great, nice giveaway though!

Toki767

why don't you just give it to someone you like
I already did. Not like it's a crime to give a second copy to someone I don't know.
But if we havent played it, how can we love the narrative?!

In all seriousness, I love these gestures on GAF even if I don't participate. My PC isn't up to snuff, but good luck to everyone else.

Well I said narrative in a game, not particularly in this one.

Been playing games since Doom and I'm a huge single player person. The good (should have been only) ending of Bioshock was the most touching ending of a game that I've ever played.

Bioshocked 2 sucked harder than Sasha Gray.

May not win the contest, but at least I won my self respect...
and hopefully Bioshock Infinite, which would be miles better.

Salsa

toki is a cool guy

I won a contest from him during the summer sales and he gave me some vidyagame

10/10 would contest again

Bioshock infinite is fantastic. Hope whoever wins enjoys it.

Nert

toki is a cool guy

I won a contest from him during the summer sales and he gave me some vidyagame

10/10 would contest again

Bioshock infinite is fantastic. Hope whoever wins enjoys it.

Yep, Toki is good people. This game is definitely worth experiencing, too!

kirblar

Man, I really need to get my power supply fixed so I can play this game. I'm underpowered slightly due to being cheap 3-4 years ago and this is the first game to really go "No." to my cheapiness.

I also have a photoshop/picture concept, but I sadly have no photoshop skills.
It involves a Big Daddy using Atlas Shrugged for toilet paper.

Game Guru

Well, one of my favorite games for the narrative is... actually, Chrono Trigger. Yeah, I know it's kind of cheating to pick a SNES Classic, but here me out. Chrono Trigger appeals to me as a narrative because it is the sort of time travel story I like. Most people here could tell you why the Back to the Future Trilogy is good and I too enjoy the Back to the Future trilogy. I believe Chrono Trigger is good for pretty much the same reasons as the Back to the Future trilogy. The internal logic about time travel is pretty much consistent with only a few minor hiccups, both are entertaining adventures in their own right, and both essentially have the same message, in that the future can be changed. If the Back to the Future trilogy can be called good time travel movies, then Chrono Trigger can certainly be called a good time travel video game for the same reasons.

Don't ask me about Chrono Cross.

Symphonic

Guess I'll copy over one of my Steam recommendations

"bought sonic racing and put that shit on and damn it's great flying by whizzing speeds and just living the high life and finding out that flying is the same as driving AND BOATING or swimming i guess but not really cause you're in metal

but anyways the game is like whoosh and the maps are like wha and the character are like yeah and i'm really digging the graphics it's like sega has really learned from 2012 and pushed into 2013 the year of the graphics and really expanded on the beauty of all that is good in whatever it is that we try and make you know and then you just sort of play and get lost in the moment and you realize it's an hour since you started and that just sort of happens you know and when that happens with a game for me at least you know it's a good game

so i think sega sonic all stars transformed racing is great"

An Ode to Bioshock

It began with a flight, one-way in hindsight.
One blast sent me slipping into black, starless night.
The lighthouse, nearby, I grasped for shelter
Only to find a more hellish helter skelter,
A world gone mad, a madman's mired dreams,
Leaking equal parts blood and water at its seams,
A voice, an anchor in this disturbed dystopia,
Guided me headlong through this languishing utopia,
I obliged his offers, oh so willingly, blindly,
To the cadence of a timely "Would you kindly?"
Through death and disease and drones in the din,
I discovered the devilish devices deep within,
Not merely machinations of iron and steel,
But of greed and deception and deadly zeal,
For power, unworldly, and mayhem, unchecked,
Garish beasts, even children weren't left unspecked,
Through the halls I crept, the floors I swept
With weapons found and resolve which kept
Towards the freedom and answers that the voice urged me on,
Towards the end and the evil which wrought so much wrong,
To the madman, defeated, yet only exposed
To the truly great horror at his being deposed:
If a man was he, free to choose though depraved,
My unquestioning obedience was that of a slave,
A slave to dark destiny, my life preordained,
A pawn of a game twixt two vengeful names.
Escape was of inconsequential consolation,
The city and my soul both left in dank desolation,
Not because of my wretched existential plight,
Not because of my pitiful ignominious life,
But because the gunplay blows, and forgive my being crass,
But the story and DLC in the sequel sucked ass,
So give me the code and I'll keep my review short;
Screw Polygon and IGN, here's a number to report:
A 0, that's what you're gonna get from this Frog,
Cause I'll never get to playing it, CURSE YOU DAMNED STEAM BACKLOG!

Filth

please.jpg

original content.

I'll just put some stuff down here. Consider it a short essay I guess. It will contains Bioshock 1 spoilers.

Up until a week ago my opinion of Bioshock 1 was "that sort of average game that everyone thinks is amazing". I'm huge on combat mechanics and can be really nitpicky about them, and some of the stuff in the first game bugged me. The swapping between guns and plasmids felt awkward and caused the combat to not flow as well as it could have. I didn't feel like many of the plasmids were useful, and most of the weapons either felt bad (sound+animation) or didn't seem very useful. (I used lightning and the shotgun at all times, except when out of shogun ammo) The amount of acceleration on the aiming seemed odd as well (I played on Xbox). The world seemed interesting, but the mechanical things I took issue with, for me, were holding it back. I originally bought the game in 2010, and only got through the first 4 levels. I played 2 more levels in 2011 when Bioshock 2 was being talked about, but that's it.

Fast forward to this month, and I decided to put the game back in because of all the Bioshock Infinite talk. The acquisition of the crossbow helped a bit, but I felt the same about the combat. I knew there was a story twist at some point, and was ready to be disappointed. The reveal that you were created and given a fake memory was pretty damn good. Finding out that "would you kindly" was a phrase used to give orders was amazing, because it managed to almost make me feel like these characters were not just making my character do things, but making me, the player, almost feel like I'd been made to do things without realizing it. After all that, I still didn't expect what happened with the Ryan confrontation. I was still expecting a boss fight, and instead he makes you to murder him. Then to top it all off, Tenenbaum and her little sisters take me in and help me, despite the fact that I've been harvesting them all game. The little girls even say things like "that's the man who hurts us." Turning yourself into a big daddy at the end was pretty good too, but not as impactful as the other stuff.

I don't think I've ever done a 180 on a game halfway through, let alone because of the story and characters. Once all that happened, I cared much less about the shortcomings of the game, and was just enjoying the world so much more. Now Bioshock Infinite is here. I've been trying to avoid discussions about it to keep from spoiling anything. I've just seen bits from pre-release news stories, but addressing racism, religion, and patriotism in adult ways? It makes me wonder, regardless of how good of a game it is mechanically, might this be one of the most impactful games we've seen in years, or will see any time soon? If so, it's not something I want to miss.

Give me the copy of Bioshock Inifinite, would you kindly?

Let me win the contest, would you kindly?

Let me save Elizabeth from the shackles of Columbia, would you kindly?

katkombat

Banned
Columbia: A Haiku

No, this ain't Rapture.
We are in the sky now, man.
Wow, it's so different!

(wait is different two or three syllables because when I say it it's two)
im tired don't judge me

Yamibito

Ever since I've started university my interest in games has dwindled fast, yet when I get the time (and believe me I get a lot of it being on a Music Journalism course) I always come back to the narrative driven games. There's always been something that appeals to me about linear games that focus on detail and character rather than scope. It's why I've always found games like Bioshock and even last years The Walking Dead (which was actually my game of the year) fascinating. Not many games interest me anymore beyond The Last of Us and Bioshock, simply because of their approach to storytelling. I want to keep playing games but nothing I've played recently has piqued my interest and my lack of funds due to being a university student has stopped me from being able to get into Bioshock. I can't help but feel that Bioshock is my last chance to get back into games like I used to be.

And really to put it simply, I don't see the point of playing a game if there isn't a story to keep me invested- I'm always interested in the advancement of storytelling in games because I think it's the last barrier games need to overcome to be taken more seriously by non-gamers.

Celegus

Awesome contest! Glad I saw this early, I'll be sure to come up with something (hopefully good). If nothing else, it's always fun seeing other people's entries!

Here is a story from my video gaming youth:

I'd like to tell you about the most vile, nightmarish plague to ever wrap its cold, electric arms around my NES memories. That's right, my friend, you guessed it: the seaweed from the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles NES game. I can still remember the cold sweat of making it to the dam, knowing full well the challenges that lay before me. The turtles, underwater, in a race against time were diffusing bombs while trying to stay away from those dastardly plant-fingers of doom. And it was I who had to lead them to their success. But I was just a child, how could I do this?

Two minutes, two damn minutes were all I was given. Jack Bauer couldn't accomplish this if he had webbed feet and gills. And the seaweed, by God the seaweed. What kind of human has the ability to lead these ninja warriors through paths that are JUST AS WIDE AS THEIR BODIES, where one false move would lead to death-by-electrification. It haunted me, like the Ghost of Christmas Future leering at my frail, old-manish body. But let me tell you one thing, sir, I sure as hell knew better than to send Donatello through that Devil's Playground. He was too important, sacred almost, no one could compete with that reach. Raphael, don't get me started with him. Last time I checked, spinning your sai 3 inches away from your chest never really helped anyone. Yes, Raph was the first one to go. Raph was seaweed fodder.

But don't feel bad for me, dear reader. It may have taken a good decade, but I eventually returned to that game a little older, a little wiser, and I defused those bombs. I saved that damn dam.

Wonko_C

One entry per poster? Not that I'm the most creative person on earth, just curious. I don't even have creativity enough to use Plasmids in Bioshock often and all I do is shoot them bad guys. =P

Groof

I'm not a good writer, nor am I good at expressing myself about things I love, but I'll give it a shot!

A game can be many a things, but with a proper, well executed narrative, it can ascend into something so much more. It doesn't even have to be through spoken words or text, but it can be through imagery and scenery such as Journey did. But it can also be, in addition to the text, voiced through expressions in characters that lack a voice, or a mean to speak, such as Phoenix Wright, which also made an excellent use of music and audio clues to convey a certain thing to the player.

These have been quintessential things in my enjoying of video games as a whole, as a medium. Good gameplay is of course one of the many important pieces of which make the cake, and can be achieved by most. However a good narrative is something that can also make a huge impression to the player, but is something that is difficult to create.

Would've drawn something, but I'm not feeling creative enough. Oh well, I tried. :(

I can draw! And I'd love a copy of BioShock Infinite, and I would've loved Ami's copy of Tomb Raider. What I can't do is use Steam codes.

I wish somebody would do this with a console game for once!

Spiderduff

I can draw! And I'd love a copy of BioShock Infinite, and I would've loved Ami's copy of Tomb Raider. What I can't do is use Steam codes.

I wish somebody would do this with a console game for once!

Can you really...I'd send you a copy of the console counterpart if you draw me somethin AMAZING!!!!

The Lamp

You know I love narratives because I'm insane enough to have been following the Kingdom Hearts story for 10 years.

At 15 years old I was practically a religious nut for discussion on that series plotline.

Bad story you say? Fine. Show me a good story by giving me Bioshock Infinite :)

Top Bottom