• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Camelot Unchained (aka new DAoC) Kickstarter by Mark Jacobs' CSE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinan

OK guys, now is your chance to show you indeed wants a new DAOC-like RvR game ---
go here and place your pledge!

cu2lbi11.jpg

·Camelot Unchained is a subscription-based, RvR-focused MMORPG.

·The game will feature RvR-based leveling tracks for all classes. No PvE (player vs. environment) -based leveling, loot drops or other such systems are currently planned. All leveling will come from engaging in the game’s RvR-based systems, whether by fighting other players, capturing objectives, and/or crafting objects to help in RvR.

·You will have the choice of playing any realm on each of the game’s servers except that you may play only characters from the same realm on any single server. In other words, one server = one realm.

db646a184f1581ccae40b24590185815_large.jpg

This game is built upon three main pillars of gameplay, RvR, crafting and housing.
Here are some key elements for crafting and housing:

·Camelot Unchained features a totally player-driven economy. There won’t be drops from the NPCs, no redeemable tokens or anything like that.

·There will be a “pure” crafter class with its own unique leveling track.

·There will be no auction house for player-created items. Crafters can have their own stores and either sell there or directly to players in a bazaar-like setting.

·Crafters will be able to build a wide variety of items, including weapons, armor, siege equipment and more.

·The housing system will allow players to construct everything from huts to mines, and to fortify and rebuild massive structures.

·Players will be able to build structures throughout the world, in both safe and contested areas.

144f9460f9166fcb52778177a8c6fd0a_large.jpg

YES! Three realms RVR is back! The realms names are Albion, Hibernia and Midgard! Oh, wait,
Arthurians, Tuatha Dé Danann and Vikings.

So guys, its basically DAoC without PvE but with extended crafting to put your wife on it. Just awesome!

cu1pqle9.jpg

Was just gonna make a thread, oh well.

Some info.

iDdkNh9iD5fqq.png

Camelot Unchained takes one part classic legends, adds a twisty little apocalyptic passage, and mixes in a whole batch of creativity to birth not just another “me and my WoW-clone”, but a unique RvR-focused MMORPG. A cataclysmic explosion pierced “The Veil” that separates dimensions, bringing forth a nightmarish mix of both legends and horrors upon our world, leading to an extinction-level event. It is against the backdrop of an almost unrecognizable world that our game unfolds, and as a player of Camelot Unchained, you can expect the following:

• Camelot Unchained is a subscription-based, RvR-focused MMORPG. RvR is an acronym for Realm vs. Realm, which we call TriRealm™ for the interaction of the three main realms.

• The game will feature RvR-based leveling tracks for all classes. No PvE (player vs. environment) -based leveling, loot drops or other such systems are currently planned. All leveling will come from engaging in the game’s RvR-based systems, whether by fighting other players, capturing objectives, and/or crafting objects to help in RvR.

• You will have the choice of playing any realm on each of the game’s servers except that you may play only characters from the same realm on any single server. In other words, one server = one realm.

• Our subscription tiers will be based on players' individual choices regarding participation, but will be less than the current accepted norm for MMORPGs.

• The game will be developed for PC (Windows) with stretch goals for other platforms.

• The game will be available in English with French, German and other languages based on demand.

• The client will be DRM-free and distributed via Torrent.

Kinan

I'm excited to see this game released, but I'm not confident in MJ's ability to craft another MMO.

Well, Bioware was also making excellent games before joining EA, so maybe we can put a bit
of blame at that "EA evil touch". :)
But yea, I still cannot forgive Mark for making a two-side mmorg out of the fucking Warhammer, where you could make a 5+ side action easily....

Nevertheless, lets think positive, he got some good people on board and principles are fine, so something good should come out out of this.

Effect

The lack of PvE gives me a great deal of pause. Everyone likes to talk about Realm vs Realm in Dark Age of Camelot completely forgetting or ignoring the importance of PvE in that game and how big of a role it played. How it gave RvR some meaning and structure. How it provided some order to the chaotic zerg fest that RvR could become. How a large group of people preferred that and even the RvR battlegrounds over Frontier RvR.

Edit:

There was a reason why Trials of Atlantis had such a negative impact on the game and I believe it had to do with how it changed the PvE design of the game to be more like Everquest's long and drawn out raid structure. That is what causes people to start to leave or at least accelerated the departure of people. Always felt they tried to fix the damage it did with the Catacombs expansion by making that closer to how the game was before ToA. They even started to change ToA after a while. If RvR was the only reason people played the game this wouldn't have happen.

Filth

The lack of PvE gives me a great deal of pause. Everyone likes to talk about Realm vs Realm in Dark Age of Camelot completely forgetting or ignoring the importance of PvE in that game and how big of a part it played. How it give RvR some meaning and structure.

Yeah I'm curious about this to. I loved the shared pvp / pve dungeon in daoc. Think it was called darkness falls. I don't think they should totally get rid of pve elements :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom