• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Next Xbox will require online connection to start games

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://kotaku.com/the-next-xbox-will-require-an-internet-connection-to-st-470062456

Two Kotaku sources have added more credence to the rumor that the next Xbox, expected to battle the PlayStation 4 in late 2013 or early 2014, will be an always-online system, though it will be able to tolerate dropped connections.

"Unless something has changed recently," one of the sources told us over email, "Durango consumer units must have an active internet connection to be used."

Durango is the codename for the next-gen Xbox.

"If there isn't a connection, no games or apps can be started," the source continued. "If the connection is interrupted then after a period of time--currently three minutes, if I remember correctly--the game/app is suspended and the network troubleshooter started."

More at the link

NotLiquid

I suppose Durango is really taking 360 looking like a worse offer than the PS3 to its logical conclusion this next gen.

On the plus side can anyone say it can get any worse if all this turns out to be true? They might actually surprise people.

jWILL253

Banned
Microsoft is really gonna go through with this. Shit...

EDIT: THREE MINUTE TIMER FOR A FORCE LOGOUT? THAT'S EVEN LESS THAN SIMCITY!

"Unless something has changed recently," one of the sources told us over email, "Durango consumer units must have an active internet connection to be used."

This is becoming more and more legit, guys. Where there's smoke, there's fire.

dan2026

shooting+yourself+in+the+foot.jpg

Sorry, but I trust the MS fanboys on GAF far more than shitty sites like kotaku and edge. They have no idea what they're talking about.

Hale-XF11

"If there isn't a connection, no games or apps can be started," the source continued. "If the connection is interrupted then after a period of time--currently three minutes, if I remember correctly--the game/app is suspended and the network troubleshooter started."

lol, sounds like fun times ahead

Guevara

I'm kind of hoping the next Xbox ends up being a total piece of shit, just to see the reaction.

(I bet people will still buy it though)

Lakitu

st5fu
So I can play my game for a whole 3 minutes after my ISP shits itself? Which it does it so often. YAY!

I don't give a crap what games MS reveal, if this is true, then they'd have to fucking pay me to play it.

I'll believe this when I see it. It just seems like an impossibly dumb move for a console, however, it's effect on the general populace is yet to be anticipated (that I've yet to see, anyway).

To be honest, I do think something has changed lately. Microsoft probably revised what they were originally planning, and scrapped the whole "always-online" aspect along with "anti-used," hence Gamestop's sudden excitement for the product.

It seems they're just basing it off previous speculations that we had over a month ago.

Cool, nice of Microsoft to make my buy/not buy decision easy. Save me some cash.

I still don't think Microsoft is dumb enough to actually do this.

LordCanti

I've always got a connection on my end, but yeah, if their service ever goes down and I can't even play single player games...

That's going to suck.

I'm still calling bullshit; bookmark my post for future mockery etc.

There's a better chance MS will fuck up something regarding always-online....than not at this point.

Nothing's still set in stone and MS can always change their mind at any moment, but it seems like the cloud + Xbox Live is going to be CENTRAL in Durango's design, and an always-online console would ensure uniformity.

stn

Wow, ok. Does this mean I'll never get to play a single-player game without 20 invites to chat and play MP from people? What if my ISP is down, I can't play anything?

Looking like the first XBox I'll completely skip.

Davey Cakes

I'll refuse to believe it for now. Not until MS says anything are these rumors worth the time.

If it does end up being the truth, I'm very curious as to the justification and compensation in functionality.

Top Bottom