• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sven: Fighting game rereleases declining in sales + Talks PSN ISO release process

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Basically someone asks on Ask Capcom, SVEN Y U NO PORT EVERYTHING TO EVERYTHING. To which Sven mentions the following:

Let me be more clear.

There are multiple paths that are being pursued here.

1. Rerelease of PS1, PS2 and PSP ISOs on PSN. There are three filters that must be passed in order for this to happen. First, Sony has to verify that the title in question works in their emulators (not all do). Second, all IP clearances must be had. That is to say, we must have digital distribution rights in the original agreements with middleware, voice actors, musical score, etc. Third, there must be an existing licence in force in the case of something that uses non-Capcom IP (e.g. SNK, Marvel, Xmen) and also no legacy IP issues. At times in the past teams have infringed upon other third party IP and new IP sweeps must be conducted to ensure that this is not the case in a given version. Once all three points are met, Sony takes control and it is up to them when and how it releases (though they do coordinate with us).

2. New development in the form of updated versions of SF2, SF3, MvC2, MvC1, Marvel Super Heroes, Darkstalkers, Puzzle Fighter etc. Sadly, I think we've probably run the course of feasible titles here given the droppoff we've seen in sales with each new introduction. It seems the novelty of such projects is wearing off even within just the fighting game community based upon the sales data of our last two launches. That said, we have been quite prolific in these areas (despite the assertion above that we haven't) and it's probably time for us to slow down anyway.

3. The digital releases of games that were previously only disc based at retail in the current generation. This would apply to SSFIV, SFxT, UMvC3, etc. As discussed previously on X360 this is easy. On PS3 this is more difficult however it's being done as a matter of the planned development on all forthcoming titles.

So in short, what we can bring to you in these forms, we are doing so. That doesn't mean EVERYTHING will show up and to set expectations, I think you should prepare yourself that not every fighting game we've made will receive even one of these treatments.

I do not believe that conversations with SNK, EA, Sega or anyone else is going to alter these issues.

Source (Ask Capcom). Via Eventhubs.

Ghazi

Because people won't get tired of buying the same game that should just be patched with the changes for $30-$40. Good job on thinking ahead Capcom.

Rule #1 of Fighting games:
Don't flood the market.

Rule #2 of Fighting games:
DON'T flood the market.

Rule #3 of Fighting games:
Do... oh you get the idea.

Rule #4 of Fighting games:
Make a PC port FOR EVERYTHING.

Most of the good and popular ones people wanted have been released, so this is expected. No ones gives a shit about a Darkstalkers rerelease, even if it is a decent game. Sad, but true.

Dizzy-4U

PS1 versions are the worst. Who the hell wants a butchered version? Give me arcade Alpha 2 and Dreamcast Alpha 3 :/

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Most of the good and popular ones people wanted have been released, so this is expected. No ones gives a shit about a Darkstalkers rerelease, even if it is a decent game. Sad, but true.

The sadder part there is if Capcom uses the Resurrection sales as an excuse to never make Darkstalkers 4.

Though I suppose there could be potential in making DS4 a showpiece game for their new game engine on PS4/Xbox 720/high end PCs.

RS4-

Just make CVS2 and A3 have online play. I really don't give a shit if Capcom rereleases something without online.

kirblar

The sadder part there is if Capcom uses the Resurrection sales as an excuse to never make Darkstalkers 4.

Though I suppose there could be potential in making DS4 a showpiece game for their new game engine on PS4/Xbox 720/high end PCs.
This is almost certainly the case. It's also likely to be their next Arcade release (as they haven't released an Arcade title in Japan in forever.) The game is happening. (It's a big reason why SF5 is not happening any time soon.)

shaowebb

I actually liked his response. I can't hate him for actually breaking down real world problems to the consumer. Voice actor and legacy IP issues alone are enough to crush many rereleases and he went the extra mile to break down the entire host of issues these sort of ports present.

Rage away when they deserve it I say, but this was a very honest and informative answer. I respect that.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I actually liked his response. I can't hate him for actually breaking down real world problems to the consumer. Voice actor and legacy IP issues alone are enough to crush many rereleases and he went the extra mile to break down the entire host of issues these sort of ports present.

Rage away when they deserve it I say, but this was a very honest and informative answer. I respect that.
Yup, Sven dropping more gems.

I always say, Capcom is one of the most transparent publishers in the business period. And I much appreciate that.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, but I feel like Darkstalkers would be successful as a launch title on 720/PS4 along with a Wii U release. Just put in some nintendo exclusive extras to grab that crowd if they are worried. Worked for a late port of Tekken Tag, and Soul Caliber did extremely well iirc. There will be a big enough drought(I assume since it always happens unless you are the Dreamcast) to gather some attention for it. It being a recognizable franchise for fighter fans, plus Capcom's logo for those needing an extra game could give it a nice push.

kirblar

I still want mahvel on pc and sfxt 2013 patch for pc.

Is that too much to ask?
Patch is done and available, if you don't mind losing multiplayer access.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, but I feel like Darkstalkers would be successful as a launch title on 720/PS4 along with a Wii U release. There will be a big enough drought(I assume since it always happens unless you are the Dreamcast) to gather some attention for it. It being a recognizable franchise for fighter fans, plus Capcom's logo for those needed an extra game could give it a nice push.
They have to lead with it and push hard (while there's a genre drought on the PS4/720) because of the IP unfamiliarity in the US and Europe. DS4/SF3 essentially missed an entire generation of players when the arcades started drying up since they weren't available outside of Sega Saturn, and so they have to maximize conditions for relaunching it.

SF5/Whatever the next Vs. Title is both have intrinsic IP popularity in all regions, and won't need the push.

Should've released DS The Chronicle and CVS2 for their last two releases instead. I imagine at this point a CVS2 port is unlikely, but so was Marvel 3 for a long time.

Dai101

Banned

True

Yup, Sven dropping more gems.

I always say, Capcom is one of the most transparent publishers in the business period. And I much appreciate that.

True x2. I've always wondered why people bitch at capcpom when usually they are the ones addressing this kind of shit? Is not like they could just rip a CD and publish it online. There's a shit load of issues they had to deal with.

Top Bottom