• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix trademarked 'THE MAD & THE MONSTROUS'

Pooya

capturee2sjc.png

That's an.. interesting title, I can make some bad jokes here, it's too easy :p

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
This must be a game about Wada and his past years as Square CEO. Intriguing.

androvsky

This is the first thing the new CEO does?

I don't know if even SE can conceive and crap out a mobile game in just a few weeks. I assume you're joking, but still, I'm sure the new CEO has a long road of figuring out what toes he can get away with stepping on how to best move the company forward.

Soriku

THE MAD & THE MONSTROUS: Yoichi Wada, the Man Behind Square Enix's Demise

Am I doing it right

KiTA

It's alliterative, which is the "thing" they do for Dragon Quest game localizations -- usually in the subtitles and in the dialogue.

However, "The Mad and The Monstrous" as a subtitle doesn't really fit any of the possibilities:

DQM1R ("Terry's Wonderland") doesn't have anyone insane or really evil. It's a fairly light hearted roguelike-mons game without even a real villain.

DQ7R has very little in the way of monster stuff, although apparently there's a roguelike thing with the monster town nowadays, similar to DQ9's grottos. Not enough to market over.

DQX has no monster catching/breeding stuff, although it does have a "Mad and Monstrous" villain.

There is a chance it's a localization of MONSTERxDRAGON, an MTG-Meets-Fire Emblem style game(?) that they never touched outside of Japan.

My sincere hope is that it's a really awkward localization marketing strategy for Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland, since we're rapidly approaching the point where we won't see that game localized if it's not done soon, but I wouldn't hold out hope for that.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The Mad & The Monstrous: Flying Fairy

KiTA

The Domain Name is registered through Thomson Brandy / "Thomson Reuters Professional KK". JAIP, which apparently Thomson Reuters Professional KK is a member group of, is a group specializing in importing stuff TO Japan, if I'm understanding this correctly.

I don't know if they go the other way, that is, if they export stuff FROM Japan.

Also, haven't found a way to search to see all domains that company registered recently, or even at all. That might be informative as well, but as far as I can tell whois data is squarely in the domain of the pants on head retarded wing of eCommerce. For example, the only place I could find to do the search would let me know the information I wanted... for $800.

Their website linked on JIAP redirects to http://www.sweetandmaxwell.com.hk/ . No clue if that's a bunch of Cybersquatters or not. Trying to load thomsonbrandy.jp (the domain name of the email) redirects to http://trademarks.thomsonreuters.com/jp/ , which appears to be a company that handles international trademark registrations et all.

Pooya

The Domain Name is registered through Thomson Brandy / "Thomson Reuters Professional KK". JAIP, which apparently Thomson Reuters Professional KK is a member group of, is a group specializing in importing stuff TO Japan, if I'm understanding this correctly.

I don't know if they go the other way, that is, if they export stuff FROM Japan.

Also, haven't found a way to search to see all domains that company registered recently, or even at all. That might be informative as well, but as far as I can tell whois data is squarely in the domain of the pants on head retarded wing of eCommerce. For example, the only place I could find to do the search would let me know the information I wanted... for $800.

it's definitely tied to a Japanese development, because the trademark is filed under KK Square Enix not Square Enix, Ltd.

and yes, you have to pay for that kind of information.

KiTA

What does the KK mean in this instance?

Edit: Kabushiki Kaisha, which apparently is the Japanese term for "Corporation?"

Is it too much to hope for that this is square returning to making random RPG's out of nowhere like in the mid nineties when they made stuff like Treasure of Rudra, Bahamut Lagoon and Live a Live.

Top Bottom