• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bought an EA Sports NFL in the last 7 years? You might be entitled to compensation.

The_Monk

First, it seems it's for US costumers only fellow GAFfers.

If you are in the United States and bought a new copy of an Electronic Arts’ Madden NFL, NCAA Football, or Arena Football videogame for Xbox, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, GameCube, PC, or Wii, with a release date of January 1, 2005 to June 21, 2012, your rights may be affected.

The purpose of this website is to provide information to potential Settlement Class Members about the proposed Settlement with Electronic Arts Inc., and to inform Settlement Class Members of 1) the certification of the Settlement Class, 2) the terms of the proposed Settlement, 3) their right to exclude themselves (“Opt-Out”) from the Settlement Class, 4) their right to object to the Settlement, and 5) the hearing at which time the Court will determine whether to grant final approval of the proposed Settlement.

If approved by the Court, payments will be made to Settlement Class members who submit timely and valid claims out of the net proceeds of the Settlement (the amount available after deducting payment of the costs of administering the Settlement, including the costs of this notice, attorneys’ fees, costs of the litigation, and any payments allowed by the Court to the named plaintiffs) based on the type and number of videogames purchased by a Settlement Class Member.

Valid claims for the purchase of Madden NFL, NCAA Football, or Arena Football videogames for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, or Wii platforms (“Seventh Generation Purchasers”) will be valued at $5.85 per new game purchased, up to a total of eight units ($46.80).

8L0HIwU.png

More info/source in here:

http://www.easportslitigation.com/

Z_Y

I've bought every Madden and NCAA since I can remember. Back to the first Madden on Genesis and when NCAA was caled Bill Walsh College Football. I feel like I am owed something. lol

Of course I have no proof of any of this. Maybe a I made a few purchases from Amazon over the last couple of years.

You may not have the receipts for these games right now, but something you do have too prove purchase is trophies/achievements or an online ID from that particular game. So if you have those things it should give you cover from perjury.

DericLee

Banned
My achievement history shows every Madden game purchased this gen, not sure how they will prove my madden copy for the final year of xbox.

Actually, not sure how they will prove any thing....

I mean I have used three different emails for Live over that time frame, and two different ones with EA...so....yeah.

Oh hey, SSX is EA Sports. My brother also has quite a few EA Sports games.

Too bad it doesn't include PSP, though... My brother happened to have a few PSP EA Sports titles.

Edit: Oh, it didn't seem entirely clear, but it is only be for the football games listed above.

Chuckpebble

whats this about?

From the FAQ on the site in the OP.

What is this lawsuit about?
Answer: The lawsuit claims that Electronic Arts violated federal and California antitrust laws, as well as California consumer protection laws, by signing exclusive licensing agreements with the Arena Football League (“AFL), the Collegiate Licensing Company (“CLC”) (on behalf of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (“NCAA”)), the National Football League (“NFL”), and the National Football League Players Association (“NFLPA”). The lawsuit claims that these agreements gave Electronic Arts a monopoly over an alleged market for league-branded, simulation football videogames, and allowed it to charge higher prices than it would have in a competitive environment. The suit seeks to recover monetary damages and restitution, as well as injunctive relief.

Electronic Arts denies Plaintiffs’ allegations. Electronic Arts asserts that (i) there is no such thing as a discreet “market” for league-branded, simulation football videogames; (ii) the NFL and its Players’ Association, the NCAA, and other licensors asked Electronic Arts and other game publishers to bid for the rights to make videogames using their trademarks and other intellectual property rights; (iii) EA did so and was awarded certain rights to make videogames using these licensors' trademarks and other intellectual property rights; (iv) it is not illegal to bid on trademark licenses, exclusive or otherwise, that intellectual property owners choose to offer, (v) exclusive trademark licenses are commonplace and widely accepted in commerce and under the law as one legitimate way for an intellectual property rights holder to maximize the value of its property, (vi) the conduct challenged by Plaintiffs has not injured consumers, and (vii) Electronic Arts has never charged supra-competitive prices for its videogames.

The Court has not decided whether Electronic Arts did anything wrong, and this Notice is not an expression of any opinion by the Court about the merits of any of the claims or defenses asserted by any party to this litigation.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I was pleasantly surprised to find a check for $24 in the mail today as a result of this. I'm pretty sure that's the most I've ever received from a class action lawsuit, which is usually like $2 in my experiences.

The website (http://www.easportslitigation.com/) indicates that checks were beginning to be mailed out in late October, if anyone else submitted a claim.

Top Bottom