• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Last Light |OT| Last bullet. Last breath. Last chance.

• Thread starter Deleted member 102362
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member

"By fire and sword we'll take back our world..." Miller believed this, and was ready to die for it. But I was filled with doubt. We had
already scorched the Earth once. Now the fire was in my hands, and I had to carry it through.

Metro: Last Light is the sequel to Metro 2033, both developed by 4A Games and based on the literary works of Dmitry Glukhovsky (with the first
game published by THQ and the second by Deep Silver). The player reprises the role of Artyom, the main character of Metro 2033, whose actions
may have saved humanity...or further doomed it. The various factions within the metro, including the Communists, Rangers, and the Fourth Reich,
all vie after a so-called "doomsday device" from the military installation D6, a crucial setting from the previous game. Once again, Artyom finds
himself in the midst of the struggle between the last remnants of humanity.

The first-person gameplay is designed to accommodate both violent and stealthy approaches, giving players the option of fighting or sneaking
their way through most situations. Lights can be shot out and guards quietly neutralized, or grenades can be thrown and all hell broken loose.
Guns can be loud and blazing, or they can be scoped and silenced, trading power for precision.

Survival, with a touch of horror, is a critical component of the Metro series:
• Gas masks can become damaged in combat, and filters must be replaced. A broken mask and no extra filters can lead to an early death.
• Ammunition must be used carefully. Should you use your precious military grade rounds, the main form of currency in the metro, or stick with
surplus rounds and hope they do the job?
• Powered devices, such as your headlamp, must be manually recharged, as well as certain weapons.
• Contend with enemies, both human and mutant, with weapons ranging from throwing knives to miniguns.​

The Setting

When we emerged into the ruins of Moscow, I felt both fear and sorrow. But, after a life underground, I also saw strange beauty in
the dark skies and frozen landscape. "So, that's the dead city," grunted Bourbon. "Welcome home, Artyom."

Consumed by the fallout of war, the surface is an unbreathable wasteland, inhabited by mutants, stalkers (humans scavenging the surface
for valuables), and the decaying remains of Moscow, the "dead city."

It is below the surface, within the labyrinthine remains of Moscow's metro system, that humanity makes its home, where ammunition is
both a form of currency and defense, where old ideologies are reborn within philosophy and violence, and where the ghosts of the past
forever relive their final moments.

Your only hopes for survival are your gun, your gas mask, and your wits.​

Screenshots and Videos

It appears that the devastation we brought upon ourselves was complete; Heaven, Hell and Purgatory were atomized as well. So
when a soul leaves the body it has nowhere to go, and must remain here, in the Metro. A harsh, but not undeserved atonement
for our sins, wouldn't you agree?

Live-action video series

Ranger Survival Guide

Gameplay trailers

Additional Information
You can't hide from the future.

PC System Requirements:

Minimum

• Windows: XP (32-Bit), Vista, 7 or 8
• CPU: 2.2 GHz Dual Core e.g. Intel Core 2 Duo
• RAM: 2GB
• Direct X: 9.0c
• Graphics Card: DirectX 9, Shader Model 3 compliant e.g. NVIDIA GTS 250 (or AMD equivalent e.g. HD Radeon 4000 series) or higher

Recommended

• Windows: Vista, 7 or 8
• CPU: 2.6 GHz Quad Core e.g. Intel Core i5
• RAM: 4GB
• Direct X: 11
• Graphics Card: NVIDIA GTX 580/660 Ti (or AMD equivalent e.g. 7870) or higher

Optimum

• Windows: Vista, 7 or 8
• CPU: 3.4 GHz Multi-Core e.g. Intel Core i7
• RAM: 8GB
• Direct X: 11
• Graphics Card: NVIDIA GTX 690 / NVIDIA Titan

For 3D Vision Support:

• NVIDIA GTX 690
• 120Hz Monitor
• NVIDIA 3D Vision kit for Windows Vista, 7 or 8

PC / Xbox 360 / Playstation 3 release dates:

• North America: May 14, 2013
• Europe: May 17, 2013​

You reap what you sow, Artyom. Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only
brings death. To break this vicious circle, one must do more than just act without any
thought or doubt.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Here are some links to other relevant Metro: Last Light threads:

Metro: Last Light PC performance thread
Metro: Last Light Reviews Thread | Update DLC for $5
Metro: Last Light was developed under awful conditions (Armed thugs, smuggling, more)

A side note, all images in the OP link to higher res versions of themselves.

HUGE thanks to SalsaShark and dygiT for their help and feedback on this thread as it was being developed. <3

And, since it's obligatory:

Here's the now infamous cloth gif on 360... Just because.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQUaKHurekQ

Xater

Well done.

I really need to see some console footage of this. Especially the PS3 version. I am too afraid to blind buy it because of performance fears.

codhand

ibtyO2W5tdWaie.gif

Ready.

Hopefully bullets are more pletiful, the original was quite silly in thay sense and prevented me from finishing it, still looking forward to this one. Cant wait to see the texture work.

Hopefully bullets are more pletiful, the original was quite silly in thay sense and prevented me from finishing it, still looking forward to this one. Cant wait to see the texture work.

I do not agree. Make bullets rare but MAKE ME SWEAT THEM.

SUPER PUMPED OVER HERE.

Xater

I had more than enough by the end. Guess you didn't play conservative enough or used stealth when there were opportunities for it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I did not like Metro 2033 very much. Despite this, I've already put down dollars for a PC version of Last Light. So consider me invested, and cautiously optimistic.

Hoping to enjoy, in the way that Metro is enjoyed.

Man

The devs said a PS4 version is coming (with the original 2033 included) so they will definitely have my $60 when that drops.
This, Killzone & Wolfenstein is a good bleak FPS introduction to the next-generation

Amon-Lau

I'm pumped for this! Just finished replaying Metro 2033 on my PC so I can't wait~

God I hope not, by the end of my replay I had too many bullets, heck I was using the Heavy Automatic Shotgun in the final parts just cause I had so many shotgun shells left over and even by the end I barely reached half the ammount I had before using them... xP

AJ_Wings

Good OP, En Ex.

Judging from the gameplay previews and trailers I think it's better to start on the higher difficulties. I don't know if they had god mode turned on but it looked like Artyom ate up a lot of damage compared to the first game.

Xater

The devs said a PS4 version is coming (with the original 2033 included) so they will definitely have my $60 when that drops.
This, Killzone & Wolfenstein is a good bleak FPS introduction to the next-generation

That was misinterpreted. A PS4 version is no sure thing.

Cant count how many times i finished 2033. One of my favourite FPSes of all time, so im cautiously optimistic for this. I had the same amount of love for Darksiders, and was hyped to the balls for DS2 and left bitterly disappointed, so im reeling in my hype a shade now.

TwIsTeD

just jumped on one of those x51 dell outlet deals with an i7-3770 ...bought the bigger power supply and got Metro: Last Light for free with my new GTX660 ......my body is ready

Sethos

Banned
Never got through Metro 2033, barely played it outside the occasional screenshots. Game just felt too much like a technical exercise rather than a fun game. However I will give them the benefit of the doubt and I pre-ordered this.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Here are some additional details worth noting (source):

Komodo Saurian said:
- 4A games want to release an SDK and they plan to eventually, most likely paired with multiplayer.

- MLL multiplayer will be released as a separate project, something along the lines of a Xbox Arcade game. ETA: At least half a year after MLL release.

- Confirmed five DLC, story missions from the point of view of other characters. These are not cut content, work on these began after the game was finished.

- Season pass is a possibility.

- PS4 version. Will probably come with M2033.

And Nirolak's thread on it.

NAPK1NS

My buddy got Metro 2033 for me. Never got around to playing it, but I'm sure its solid.

Truth be told, my GTX460 cried when I tried to rock it on any high settings, and that made me pretty sad.

I'm about to go over to Newegg and snag a GTX660Ti, and Last Light comes with it. Ready to have my mind blown by dem graphics.

Sethos

Banned
Hate when SDKs are released 'down the road', you lose out on much of the pre-hype development and usually these SDKs are 6 months to a year late, sometimes more and at that point no one even wants to mod for the games.

KorrZ

Definitely getting this game, but really need console footage to see how it looks. I imagine my 7750 would struggle looking at the specs, but would it be better than console? Hmm.

I reeeeeally want to buy this, but I thought 2033's SP was a little lacking in some regards (certainly not atmosphere). I'm hoping this is more robust but I can't pull the trigger until I get some reviews/impressions.

Oh shit, I thought this was later on during the year.

I got the first one on day 1 but I have no time to play games right now.

vader.jpg

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely getting this game, but really need console footage to see how it looks. I imagine my 7750 would struggle looking at the specs, but would it be better than console? Hmm.

MauroNL, who played the Xbox 360 version early, posted their thoughts in this thread.

NAPK1NS

Well, shit.

Just got 'dat GTX660 Ti. Guess I'm all in.

Anyone have good 1080p footage of the PC version? I'm hoping this will act as a formidable benchmark.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
My aging GTX 460/Core2Quad combo weeps, but Metro 2033 was one of my favorite FPS experiences and Ranger Hardcore made it all the sweeter. Gonna have to grab this asap and hope the cold Russian nuclear winter stops my computer from having a meltdown.

Draft

PC Gaming has finally gotten to the point where most high profile FPS won't run well on my computer. Bittersweet.

OP pictures aren't loading for me, but I am still exited for this game. Can't say I blame the publisher for wanting to make money, but because of dlc, preorder exclusives, multiplayer, and season pass talks I am going to hold off for a healthy discount.

Up there with Thief 4, Dark Souls 2, and Witcher 3 for most anticipated games though!

Just preordered, thanks for the reminder. If its anything like Metro 2033 it will be at the least a very worthwhile experience, but I'm hoping for improvements in other areas (better stealth, less bulletspongey enemies.)

red731

OP's pics ain't loading here either.
As other guy asked - any good preorder deals anywhere?

ed: Maybe it is because they are linked to dropbox which is password locked?

Top Bottom