• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bing Gordon: No reason to buy a Nintendo if you have a tablet, Sony = New Sega

BY2K

Membero Americo
http://venturebeat.com/2013/05/10/t...-have-bought-ouya-and-other-might-have-beens/

There's a bit more than than in there, but some of the things he says are just... weird...

Gordon said in an interview this week, “My own take on Nintendo is that the Wii was a spectacular head fake.” But Microsoft’s Kinect and its Xbox Live service have staked out the high end of the game business. Sony, by comparison, “is starting to look like the new Sega of the game business,” Gordon said. That means that it may soon exit hardware, as Sega did with the ill-fated Dreamcast.

“Once you have a tablet, there is not much reason to buy a Nintendo,” Gordon said. “What they have left is the Miyamoto exclusive box. If you want his games, then you spend the $300 on whatever Miyamoto makes. But that’s a box for tens of millions, not hundreds of millions.”

There's also this, from the one who wrote the article:

We’re not sure what the valuation was, but Ouya just got a lot more expensive as a potential acquisition. Nintendo should have grabbed it while it had the chance. Nintendo, meanwhile, had its window to sell Wii U game consoles during the last six months. It had a shortage of hits, and the big games from top publishers either didn’t materialize or didn’t sell well. Nintendo generated some good digital revenue through the app store on the Wii U platform, but it hasn’t had a huge breakout hit on that front.

Now the Wii U is dead in the water. Nintendo sold 3.45 million Wii U consoles as of March 31, and since December, Nintendo sold just 390,000 Wii Us. That’s a horrible start for a new game console, and it must be viewed in this context: Apple sold 56 million iPhones and iPads in one quarter.

Nintendo should have bought Ouya? And who the hell still refers to any Nintendo console as "a Nintendo"?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
didn't even have to get to the third comment
Capurnicus • 4 hours ago
I really don't understand what Nintendo is doing right now... If they would just release their classic games on iOS and Android they would probably make a ton of money! I know I would pay 5 bucks a piece for a bunch of classic Gameboy games to play on my android phone.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Bing Gordon is the real deal, he's legit as hell and an awesome dude. He knows his stuff.

Thoraxes

I love the iPad iPhone comparisons. So fresh and new.

I think Nintendo shouldn't be the only ones held up to those standards.

and since December, Nintendo sold just 390,000 Wii Us.

That is just epically bad.

Other than the part about Sony pulling a Sega-esque exit from the business, everything they said was spot on. Consumers won't buy the Wii U as their primary console(if they buy it at all). It's the Miyamoto box.

Crawl

No reason to buy nintendo if you have a tablet.
No reason to PS4 if you have a 360.
No reason to buy a 360 if you have a PC
No reason to buy a PC if you have an ipad.

Ipad wins next gen.

I remember a Bing gordon coming up in another thread..he's not really making a good impression on anyone really. Is that his job?

BY2K

Membero Americo

Other than the part about Sony pulling a Sega-esque exit from the business, everything they said was spot on. Consumers won't buy the Wii U as their primary console(if they buy it at all). It's the Miyamoto box.

You agree that Nintendo should have bought Ouya?

So I was playing MH3U on my tablet the other day....

Also, I had no idea how poorly Sony's gaming division was doing until now. I was under the impression that they were profits 2 years into PS3's lifecycle, but they apparently didn't get into the black on PS3s until 2011.

And from what I understand, they've lost $4 Billion in gaming since 2007?

So overall we are looking at a total loss of 4 billion USD for the PS3, not including R&D and that is a very optimistic guess. With all the factors I chose to ignore to show you that this is not biased in any way (R&D, PSN Outage, Most of the PS2 / PSP profits) the actual number would be way higher. There are reports that the cell processor alone cost 400 million in R&D, add Blu-Ray, PSN etc. and you get the idea. So a 5-6 billion USD loss for the PS3 is very likely.
http://playeressence.com/an-interesting-look-at-sonys-financial-situation-with-the-ps3/

How the shit are they going to make up for this debt with PS4 and Vita?

GulAtiCa

If he just invested money into Ouya (If I read this right), doesn't that kind of make him bias to bash Nintendo + Sony and then praise Ouya?

Nintendo would have done what exactly with ouya? Put an Android partition on Wii U? Released $100 phone game consoles?

And kinect is going to put Sony out of business? It should probably get started on that.

Meelow

Banned
"a Nintendo"? Lol I can't believe someone in the game industry is saying that let alone anyone else.

I remember the NES days people said "a Nintendo" but since we have now 6 Nintendo consoles, we stopped it lol.

It's like someone saying "I got a Sony console", yeah which one? Lol.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Who would need to buy Ouya....? If Nintendo wanted to build a greatly underpowered $99 console with no gimmicks, they could have done it themselves in an afternoon.

Risette

A Good Citizen

It doesn't even have Miyamoto games yet though, lol.

Into

Sony, by comparison, “is starting to look like the new Sega of the game business,” Gordon said. That means that it may soon exit hardware, as Sega did with the ill-fated Dreamcast.

What sales numbers is he looking at it? If any? Or is this one of those North America = The World?

The PS3 has for a while consistently been outselling the 360 WW on a yearly basis, its why we had a report 2-3 days ago about it catching and perhaps even surpassing the 360.

And no tablet replaces what Nintendo does, what a ridiculous statement.

Top Bottom