• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lttp: 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors

Game is absolutely incredible. The art direction is something else and the characters? Oh man...... This is definitely the only visual novel game I have ever really enjoyed. I almost fucked up, I was about to skip straight to VLR and read 999's plot on the internet. Glad I didn't.

Tagg9

I love that we get a 999 thread almost every month now. Great to see that people are still discovering this masterpiece.

Chris R

I loved it too. Disappointed with a few of the endings, but the true ending made everything up to then worth while.

Waiting for VLR to go on sale or to show up for PSN+ is killing me though!

Hero

Truly one the most incredible stories in video gaming that just wouldn't be the same in any other medium.

999 can never get enough love.

We get these LTTPs every week. Any every week I smile because someone is experiencing this masterpiece for the first time.

I remember when someone here on GAF (I believe Neiteio) went through it for the first time and posted live impressions as he went on. Multiple pages of spoiler-tagged 'HOLY FUUUUUCK's ensued.

Avallon

I loved it too. Disappointed with a few of the endings, but the true ending made everything up to then worth while.

Waiting for VLR to go on sale or to show up for PSN+ is killing me though!

Give the devs the money. They deserve it.

Marz

Wow what a coincidence, just beat the game last night got 2 bad endings though gonna try to get the true one tonight.

First game in a while that really sucked me in.

Riposte

Not a visual novel.

Also VLR seems better so far, though I have some forming thoughts that it does somethings which hurt it. Haven't really fully explored the story.

MoogPaul

999 was significantly better than VLR in my opinion. Better atmosphere, characters, art, puzzles. Really enjoyed that game.

This is definitely one of my favorite games of all time. The characters are all memorable and the atmosphere and the tension in the writing was impeccable.

Jawmuncher

Loved it. Played it last year and was just hooked the entire time. The only thing that threw me off was the "true ending" most people know what I'm talking about with that.

Fey

Banned
999 was significantly better than VLR in my opinion. Better atmosphere, characters, art, puzzles. Really enjoyed that game.

I enjoyed 999 more, too, but puzzles were definitely better in VLR.

999 nailed the atmosphere, while VLR nailed the puzzles. Let's hope the next nails both. *O*

Jazzem

Loved this game to death, it still astounds me how much it engrossed me...incredible atmosphere. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a few issues with the story or the prose, but the positive far outweighed the negative.

Unbelievably I still haven't finished VLR, or gone beyond a single plot thread...might leave it until I get an XL so don't feel like I'm squinting at all that text :p It seems like a worthy sequel despite having a really poor start, which is a shame; I can imagine the demo having put off some people.

I just have to state this.
Untill you got the true end , you haven't finished 999.

This game is excellent , even if IMO flawed at some points.
But damn if the true end path wasn't something else.

Tiops

Finished it last month, immediately bought VLR and I'm almost getting the platinum for it.

Awesome, awesome games.

PKrockin

If you liked 999 and VLR you better play Ever 17. It's co-written by the same guy as 999 and VLR.

Yes, I know what it looks like. Just trust me on this one. Play it to the end. You will not be disappointed.

PfpoD05.jpg

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
A truly excellent game. Would love to play VLR whenever they fix the 3DS save bug.

I enjoyed 999 more, too, but puzzles were definitely better in VLR.

999 nailed the atmosphere, while VLR nailed the puzzles. Let's hope the next nails both. *O*

I liked VLR better because it managed to nail not just puzzles, but managed to make tremendous strides in the handling of playthroughs, and holy fucking shit (actual spoilers)
so many twists at the end I just about snapped my neck.
Both games were absolutely outstanding to me, though, and without a doubt one of my favourite gaming experiences ever.

A truly excellent game. Would love to play VLR whenever they fix the 3DS save bug.

You could be waiting a long long time.
like forever

The only fix we're ever likely to get is playing it on the vita.

i liked the puzzles more in 999. maybe because they were easier and more pleasing to the eye. in VLR i looked at 500 drawers and was like: fuck this shite.

Rubius

i liked the puzzles more in 999. maybe because they were easier and more pleasing to the eye. in VLR i looked at 500 drawers and was like: fuck this shite.

The kitchen puzzle was pretty easy really. 9.9.9 had a lot of trouble with having to replay through the game and puzzles without any way to bypassing them.

The kitchen puzzle was pretty easy really. 9.9.9 had a lot of trouble with having to replay through the game and puzzles without any way to bypassing them.

it doesn't look like fun, that's what i was trying to say. 30% of all puzzles were like that.

about replaying: it was tedious. they exchanged that for map and door animation: the game. in VLR.

Rubius

it doesn't look like fun, that's what i was trying to say. 30% of all puzzles were like that.

about replaying: it was tedious. they exchanged that for map and door animation: the game. in VLR.

Yeah, I didnt get why we could not fast forward those. I hope that in Zero 3 they will fix this. BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP.

If you liked 999 and VLR you better play Ever 17. It's co-written by the same guy as 999 and VLR.

Yes, I know what it looks like. Just trust me on this one. Play it to the end. You will not be disappointed.

PfpoD05.jpg

25 hours of ZZZ for 5 minutes of complete mind destruction, seriously that ending :O

Riposte

It's a hybrid, but it's definitely more a visual novel than adventure.

A visual novel is specifically not a hybrid. It is the general lack of other components, the kind which makes a game an "adventure" game, which defines them. Hence the inclusion of "novel" in the name (though not exactly accurate). More to the point, 999 and VLR are essentially a collection of puzzle rooms (with a point and click adventure interface, it is sort of a misnomer used to highlight the difference) and the themes even go the extra mile to highlight this fact.

Link1110

Playing VLR now without 999 first (on Vita, yay fewer bugs. It's fun, though the repeated plot points that you can't skip are starting to grate the 6th time I have to see the same thing. Otherwise, it's really great. I'm enjoying the characters and can't wait to see how it ends. I got 999, but I'll probably wait on playing it. I know who the villain is though :(

hao chi

25 hours of ZZZ for 5 minutes of complete mind destruction, seriously that ending :O

It's slower paced and there are some points where it's not terribly interesting, but overall I really enjoyed the time I spent reading Ever 17. The ending just made me even happier I stuck with it all the way through.

A visual novel is specifically not a hybrid. It is the general lack of other components, the kind which makes a game an "adventure" game, which defines them. Hence the inclusion of "novel" in the name (though not exactly accurate). More to the point, 999 and VLR are essentially a collection of puzzle rooms (with a point and click adventure interface, it is sort of a misnomer used to highlight the difference) and the themes even go the extra mile to highlight this fact.

You obviously aren't very familiar with visual novels because hybridization with other genres and gameplay types is very common.

Top Bottom