• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch App announced for XBox 360; Coming Today

jwk94

http://blog.twitch.tv/2013/05/announcing-the-twitch-app-for-xbox-live/
Nearly one year ago, the world caught it’s first glimpse of the Twitch App for Xbox 360. Actually wait, no they didn’t. We were but a teeny, tiny logo amidst Microsoft’s massive E3 presentation. And now that I think about it, no one even knew it was us as we’d yet to unveil our new logo and branding. So, I guess what I’m trying to say is, you’ve all been waiting a very long time for something you probably figured was nothing more than a wild fever dream.

We’re thrilled to inform you all that it was no dream, and this is really happening. The Twitch App for Xbox 360 will be made available today for Xbox LIVE Gold subscribers in the U.S.

The Twitch App for Xbox 360 will bring the top 300 live channels to your big screen, with the ability to browse the directory by top channels, games and featured content. Best of all, the Twitch App for Xbox 360 is Kinect-enabled, allowing you to control the entire experience with voice or motion controls. It’s oddly satisfying to tell your Xbox to play StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm, or any other obviously non-Xbox title, and have it load up the channel. Truly, this is a brave new world.

We hope you’ll agree that this has been worth the wait, as there’s nothing quite like watching Twitch from the comfort of your living room. Go fire up your Xbox, download the Twitch app, and let us know what you think. We’re very interested in hearing your feedback.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
- Top 300 channels only
- US only

SMH. Sounds as useless as the iOS app. I dunno how Twitch can't get their app shit together.

xemumanic

About damn time. This is one of the only apps I was actually waiting on since they announced the whole apps thing.

EDIT: Top 300 channels only? *&%$(*&%$!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Twitch isn't even trying.

Twitch on iPad and iPhone is horrible, and it's been messy as hell on my PC as well.

US only is stupid in this day and age. (I just use my apple tv and phone to broadcast twitch to my telly, works perfectly)

top 300 channels seems weird, the iOS app was updated last night to say the same thing but I have not downloaded it yet, making a backup of the current working iOS version I use near daily before I risk a twitch update ever again.

Twitch isn't even trying.

Twitch on iPad and iPhone is horrible, and it's been messy as hell on my PC as well.

it was horrible but the iOS app works about 90% of the time now for me, one of the biggest problems was that if your device's name had a space in it, twitch app would always fail to work and crash.

Why the hell would your iOS name cause a crash? why does the app even need to know your device name?

Twitch are so hit and miss.

Avinexus

- Top 300 channels only
- US only

SMH. Sounds as useless as the iOS app. I dunno how Twitch can't get their app shit together.
You make it sound like there are over 300 channels that regularly get watched.

One question I have would be is it top 300 at a given time or the top 300 channels on the overall? Big difference there.

US only?

Jerry-Seinfeld-No-Thanks-and-Leave.gif

Mr Jared

So...

PS4 with USTREAM
Xbox Infinity with TWITCH

But will the Xbox have the sharing functionality?

I sound like a broken record at this point, but the deal Sony has with UStream on the PlayStation 4 is not exclusive, and we don't deal in exclusives when it comes to our apps, either. We want a Twitch app on everything. How else can one achieve world domination? ;)

sunnz

Does top 300 include the like 80% of LoL and WoW streams?

I spend a lot of time on twitch, so having it on a console is cool ( well, for the nextbox as I don't have my 360 anymore)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Megasoum

Banned
Yeah reminds me of the patch notes on the iOS app update earlier this week

-Top 300 channels only
-Removed search
-Can now display ads

..... Fucking GREAT. Now there's also an ad for a ios game directly in the menu on the left side. This is terrible.

Redhood

But will it stream?

EDIT: Watch only.

Major Nelson just tweeted this

In addition to launching the app today on Xbox 360, Twitch will also host an exclusive broadcast following the May 21st #XboxRevealed event next week. I’ll moderate the broadcast live at 3p ET/12m PT live via the new Twitch app on Xbox 360(WHICH ONLY THE GOLD SUBSCRIBERS CAN WATCH) and also online at www.twitch.tv.

http://majornelson.com/2013/05/14/twitch-app-comes-to-xbox/

fixed

Yoshichan

Yeah reminds me of the patch notes on the iOS app update earlier this week

-Top 300 channels only
-Removed search
-Can now display ads

..... Fucking GREAT. Now there's also an add for a ios game directly in the menu on the left side. This is terrible.
I didn't believe you so I opened up my "Updates"-tab and saw the patch note... are they fucking serious? Why would I even want to update?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Finally it shows up, but then it shows up like this. Great.

Hopefully within the top 300 channels, my friends can at least find the stuff I'm watching on my laptop too.

Megasoum

Banned
The Twitch/JTV guys are such jerks. The top 300 channels are exactly those I'd never want to watch.

Exactly! I don't go to Twitch to watch Dota or LOL or whatever... I go there to watch people play weird or old ass games that we don't see everyday. I also like to watch KSP streams which are not showing up on the ios app anymore.

Jared, this is TERRIBLE.

Corto

Doesn't Twitch.tv have an open API? What prevents Sony from creating a Twitch.tv app and including it on the PS4?

Top Bottom