• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Novelist (ghost-adventure - summer 2013)

I came upon the recently announced indy game "The Novelist". It's by Kent Hudson who worked on Deus Ex: Invisible War, Thief: Deadly Shadows and Bioshock 2. It'll be released "this summer" and it has the following premise:
The Novelist asks one central question: can you achieve your dreams without pushing away the people you love? The game focuses on Dan Kaplan, a novelist struggling to write the most important book of his career while trying to be the best husband and father he can be. The Kaplans have come to a remote coastal home for the summer, unaware that they’re sharing the house with a mysterious ghostly presence: you.

Read the family’s thoughts. Explore their memories. Uncover their desires and intervene in their lives. But stay out of sight; you can’t help the Kaplans if they know there’s a ghost in the house. It’s up to you to decide how Dan’s career and family life will evolve, but choose carefully; there are no easy answers, and every choice has a cost.

Dan’s relationships – to his work, his wife, and his son – react and shift in response to your choices. With a different sequence of events in every playthrough, The Novelist gives life to a unique experience each time you play.

Check out the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m7rmb3QrN8

And here's the game's website:http://www.thenovelistgame.com/

You can pre-purchase it at the website for 14.99$ and/or vote for it to get greenlit:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=144549818

NovelistScreen1-1024x576.png

I find the premise of being a (friendly) ghost and manipulating a family pretty intriguing, albeit a bit creepy. Do I want Dan Kaplan to focus his novel? Should he spend more time with his family? Can he do both?(probably not) The methods of interacting with the game world seem to be limitied due to being a ghost, so I hope the choices will be meaningful.

Do you think it's an intersting idea for a game?

Venin

This sounds really neat. Definitely voting for it on Greenlight, at least, and will buy it if it goes through.

So, I appreciate what it's doing and I wouldn't want the developer to change their personal goals for this project, but I just can't help ultimately wanting more from it. Things such as playing the game as a more malevolent ghost who slowly rips apart the family, or just a prankster ghost who likes to play tricks and scare the family for a laugh.

It would be a nice feature to be able to pick your ghost's personality like that. It's just very rare to see a game like this.

so you're Casper

Ha, first thing I thought of.

Venin said:
So, I appreciate what it's doing and I wouldn't want the developer to change their personal goals for this project, but I just can't help ultimately wanting more from it. Things such as playing the game as a more malevolent ghost who slowly rips apart the family, or just a prankster ghost who likes to play tricks and scare the family for a laugh.

It would be a nice feature to be able to pick your ghost's personality like that. It's just very rare to see a game like this.

Yeah, I'm curious to see to what extent the game will allow "evil" actions. Going by the trailer you can even implant thoughts in the characters. I can imagine that you could manipulate the dad to only care about writing his book and to totally neglect his family. Though who'd want to really do that?^^

Hofmann

Interview with the author of the game: http://indiestatik.com/2013/05/29/the-novelist-2/

Stories are about people, which is why the game focuses on relationships. The way each player makes decisions and shapes those relationships will ultimately be what tells their story, as opposed to the more traditional method of players choosing between a handful of scripted branches that I wrote. I put a constraint on myself that all of the chapters in the game would come in a random order on each playthrough (more details below), and one of the main reasons for that is so that I couldn’t create a traditional branching story even if I wanted to; as the designer, I simply don’t know what chapter will come next. That self-imposed constraint forces me to view each chapter as a different way of approaching the same central question so that each player gets a unique experience that focuses on their values and choices, not a story I want to tell as a designer.

Each playthrough does feature the same chapters, but the uniqueness comes from the fact that the chapters come in a different order each time, as well as from the fact that the relationships are really the connective tissue that creates the narrative. It’s not so much about plot, which is spoilable, as it is about making difficult decisions in Dan’s struggle to balance his career with his family life, and from that your story emerges. Players don’t finish the game thinking “I did that, and then I did that, and then there was the big twist” so much as they think “I started off not caring much about Character X and focusing on Character Y, but Chapter 3 made me see Character Y in a new light, so I tried to improve that relationship but it was so hard not to side with Character Z in Chapter 5.”

The Novelist is a stealth game, so you need to explore the house without being seen. If there’s a character in an area you want to explore, you can possess a nearby light and make the bulb flicker, which distracts them into looking at it for a short while so you can explore the area. AI manipulation is a key aspect of stealth games, but I don’t want the family to feel like puppets who the player can toy with and make look foolish. That’s why I went with an everyday occurrence like a flickering light; if a bulb flickers in your house, your first guess probably isn’t that there’s a ghost possessing the light fixture.

My only concern is the stealth mechanics. I don't think it's necessary to implement those kind of elements into the story which is focused on building a relationships among the characters. Like he's sayin' that the main premise is not that absorbing, so there's a need for something else to keep the experience interesting.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Certainly cool idea.

Jharp

It's by Kent Hudson who worked on Deus Ex: Invisible War, Thief: Deadly Shadows and Bioshock 2.

Heh. It's like he only had a hand in the only games that people hated in otherwise beloved series.

Even though I liked Invisible War and Deadly Shadows for what they were, and personally think BioShock 2 is better than both BioShock and Infinite.

In any case, the game looks pretty cool

Top Bottom