• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft asked about Sony's GDDR5 RAM plus more great questions in video interview

https://www.gameinformer.com/b/feat...-ones-chief-product-officer-marc-whitten.aspx

• They want to implement live streaming of games. Think its a "really cool" idea.
  • Pre-owned games can be sold.
  • Hints that they wanted always-online to be 24/7 in order for the Cloud computing to enhance games through e.g. extra enemy A.I and increase the scope/scale of vision in games; more filled in screen. Cloud seems to be huge for them.

Basically, he is asked if MS have made it mandatory to always be connected when playing offline, or whether they'll leave it up to the publishers. He confirms the latter, then goes on to speak about the benefits of an always-online system for gameplay. When Kotaku asked him a similar question earlier, he said he "hopes" publishers implement this. Couple this with MS's "infrastructure investments", according to Phil Harrison, on dedicated servers, plus how the machine needs to connect to install a game, you can probably guess what their original plan was.

• Acknowledges Sony has faster RAM but can't do comparison as he doesn't know the full capability of their hardware/OS, but believes XB1 games will look just as good if not better
  • Acknowledges around 3GB of RAM reserved for OS
  • Xbox Live fundamentals will remain the same
  • Nothing concrete in terms of creating a backlog for 360 games to be made compatible on XB1, but if it does happen, the popular 360 games will be there first
  • Plan to make family households with multiple consoles/accounts have access to more content in response to whether they will be discounts for family Gold members
  • Nothing to confirm yet on what cable companies will be compatible with XB1's TV/DVR functionality. Probably still negotiating.
  • Hints that no headset included with console. Megaton. Suggests Kinect will be default device acting as microphone

Dennis

Banned
Hints that they wanted always-online to be 24/7 in order for the Cloud computing to enhance games through e.g. extra enemy A.I and increase the field of vision in games. Cloud seems to be huge for them
lol get out

Like you need Cloud gaming for enemy AI

Bedlam

Hints that they wanted always-online to be 24/7 in order for the Cloud computing to enhance games through e.g. extra enemy A.I and increase the field of vision in games. Cloud seems to be huge for them
Sounds like some Sim City bullshit.

rrs

The use of cloud computing seems neat, but also open to a lot of trouble later on if said services are closed for a game.

i-Lo

The use of cloud seems like a pipe dream integrated to enforce always online. Fuck that shit in SP games.

The use of cloud computing seems neat, but also open to a lot of trouble later on if said services are closed for a game.

Harrison and at least another Microsoft exec have strongly hinted that this was their plan. He dismissed fears of the service going down by talking up the amount of infrastructure they have done with their servers.

Whitten went into PR mode when asked about the RAM.

Yes, that segment definitely stood out. He was clearly uncomfortable by that question

Lol, dude started dodging and fainting as soon as the GDDR5 question popped. Playboy in muscle memory mode, following the game plan to a T.

Idiots

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
https://www.gameinformer.com/b/feat...-ones-chief-product-officer-marc-whitten.aspx

• They want to implement live streaming of games. Think its a "really cool" idea.
  • Pre-owned games can be sold.
  • Hints that they wanted always-online to be 24/7 in order for the Cloud computing to enhance games through e.g. extra enemy A.I and increase the field of vision in games. Cloud seems to be huge for them
  • Acknowledges Sony has faster RAM but can't do comparison as he doesn't know the full capability of their hardware/OS, but believes XB1 games will look just as good if not better
  • Acknowledges around 3GB of RAM reserved for OS
  • Xbox Live fundamentals will remain the same
  • Nothing concrete in terms of creating a backlog for 360 games to be made compatible on XB1, but if it does happen, the popular 360 games will be there first
  • Plan to make family households with multiple consoles/accounts have access to more content in response to whether they will be discounts for family Gold members
  • Nothing to confirm yet on what cable companies will be compatible with XB1's TV/DVR functionality. Probably still negotiating.
  • No headset included with console. Megaton. Kinect will be default device acting as microphone
I expect more Rainbow 6 Chocolate Milk style videos coming out of the Call of Duty games.

freddy

Banned

What the hell is this?

Booshka

Cloud computing needed for a better FoV? What the fuck is this rocket science magic they speak of. Halo CE had a solid FoV, FoV has been shrinking ever since then in most shooters and Halo franchise especially.

Halo CE

haloCE.jpg

Halo 4

Steroyd

Hardest difficulty, online only?

That's all I'm getting with this, wtf!?

Duxxy3

"Acknowledges Sony has faster RAM but can't do comparison as he doesn't know the full capability of their hardware/OS, but believes XB1 games will look just as good if not better"

So the PS4 has access to more, and faster, ram along with a much better GPU and he thinks XB1 games could look better?

Delusional. It's the only thing that comes to mind.

JABEE

I hope he is right about the used game thing. Why is it so difficult to have a consistent message? Unless he is trying to avoid answering the question because of a technicality.

That extra AI/tracking thing sounds like Diablo 3 on PC's use of cloud gaming.

No headset included with console. Megaton. Kinect will be default device acting as microphone."

What the fuck?! Why provide a 5.1 Surround headset port, then?!

What a switch, man. What a fucking switch between Microsoft and Sony's philosophies.

def sim

I wonder if an xbox 360 madcatz TE fightstick will work, or turtle beach wired headsets, things that connect via USB

I don't know about the former, but the latter uses optical doesn't it? It should work no problem considering both PS4 and Xbone surprisingly kept it.

Kusagari

MS seems lost on half the things involving this console.

They really have no set plan for getting 360 games on there?

KarmaCow

I hope he is right about the used game thing. Why is it so difficult to have a consistent message? Unless he is trying to avoid answering the question because of a technicality.

That extra AI/tracking thing sounds like Diablo 3 on PC's use of cloud gaming.

Diablo 3's use of the cloud is for DRM unless you believe that there are some super computer level calculations going on when the game decides to drop some shitty green weapon.

Top Bottom