• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Engadget: Xbox One SoC will use up to 100W TDP

Sorry if it was posted already, search doesn't work atm.

"The box will pop on and come to your home page or wherever you were last. In order to do that in an efficient way, you have to architect all of that into the box up front. A lot of it is in the SoC," Holmdahl says. That SoC contains both the CPU and GPU, as well as embedded ESRAM; the first two components are based on an AMD design, and custom-built into an SoC with embedded ESRAM. That CPU is based on the Jaguar design from AMD, with eight cores and a 4MB L2 cache, while the GPU is of the D3D11.1 (with extensions) variety, Baker told us.

The console runs in multiple power states, which means it runs in a low-wattage setting when not in use. (Microsoft wouldn't give us specifics other than to say, "The system is designed for an SoC up to about 100W, but will vary on the scenario."

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/21/building-xbox-one-an-inside-look/

kinggroin

Banned
So three times the power draw of the Wii U...

And it really means nothing actually. Too much info missing to extrapolate meaning.

Well, it's not static number, is it? The console can use less for easy background tasks; I think the Wii U does the same.

Yes, but with all the multitasking capabilities, along with RROD from last gen they probably didn't want to take a chance on overheating

wsippel

Banned
So they really went with eSRAM after all? I guess it makes sense, as AMD apparently has no eDRAM technology. That increases the size and power consumption of the chip by quite some margin compared to eDRAM.

amardilo

That video done by Engadget says a lot. They clearly sound pleased with the chips but about 5:40 in they say they purposefully didn't aim for high end graphics and went for a more broad entertainment play.

That last bit was a total downer for me. I think they probably could have pushed it a bit more but went in other directions.

Also it will be interesting to see what these virtualization layers do for performance, every time I have used virtualization technology on Windows performance of the virtual machine has been nowhere near as good as running natively.

Top Bottom