• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One will be Number One in Sales

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
As much as you hate the One right now, chances are you're going to buy one sometime during its lifespan because you are a gamer and it will be tough to resist when all is said and done. Here's five reasons why the One will top the charts:

Kinect 2.0
Kinect 2.0 will be the next Wiimote. The new Dance Central and Kinect Sports will be just the tip of the iceberg. MS knows they need a few more killer apps to start the avalanche effect and that's exactly what they have been working on in the hopes of having the next "Wii Sports" phenomenon on their hands. No other system can provide this type of mass market offering for grandma and little tommy alike.

Power of Dudebro
The biggest franchises out there will be on One. Some of them will be on the PS4, sure, but there's nowhere else where you'll find Halo, COD, Gears, Madden, etc. all on one console. Don't underestimate the dudebros who continue to fuel the yearly installments of COD, etc. and play it on the 360/PS3 instead of playing superior graphical versions on PC. The hardcore may care about FPS and res and such, but dudebro's don't.

Marketing
Wii U already has a flat tire so only the PS4 is in the way from topping the charts. Wii U will rebound a bit, no doubt, and PS4 is formidable, but Microsoft already proved it can maneuver around Sony whenever it needs to to maintain sales momentum whether that comes in the form of advertisements, aggressive price cuts and promos, or marketing deals with publishers. Microsoft has the deeper pockets and it's looking like they may have a price advantage all gen long.

Exclusives
There will be a bunch of One exclusives, moneyhat variety or otherwise. A handful of those will be hard to resist for even the biggest Sony or Nintendo fan so gamers will give in whether they like it or not. There's already been talk of Microsoft opening the wallet for Respawn's game and possibly Dead Rising 3. We know Ryse is coming and sounds like Insomniac and others may have exclusive stuff in the works.

Innovation
Microsoft were big innovators with the 360, whether people want to admit it or not and it's looking like they will keep that trend going. Gamers who think that Sony won't follow suit with the used games restrictions are fooling themselves. The future is here. You will either support it or not (see Steam). Dedicated servers, dynamic achievements, in-game skype and internet feeds, video sharing, cloud enhancements, clean and snappy interface, real-time multitasking/switching, smart TV, etc., etc. Few companies will be able to match the One's online gaming experience, but it will come at a cost, of course.

Shaanyboi

Banned
That's totally possible. Doesn't mean I like it, would ever tell anyone to buy it, or wish Microsoft any level of success.

Kinect 2.0 will be the next Wiimote.

No And considering the PS3 has outsold the 360 since it launched I don't know how people think MS will completely dominate with a Box that is nigh near worthless outside of a few countries.

Meelow

Banned
I actually agree, Xbox One's announcement was not good but I actually have the most faith in them for this gen, which is weird.

But that could also be becomes the Xbox One is likely to be the biggest out of the media stuff, and motion controls.

Colasante

Dudebros played Grand Theft Auto, Madden, and Tony Hawk on the PlayStation 2 back in the day. I don't think they can be counted on as a core demographic. They'll gravitate to whichever console has the natural mainstream buzz.

FluxWaveZ

I sure hope not.

ypnhNx9.jpg

Unless things change dramatically, I hope this is a sign of things to come.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
As much as you hate the One right now, chances are you're going to buy one sometime during its lifespan because you are a gamer and it will be tough to resist when all is said and done. Here's five reasons why the One will top the charts:.

Bullshit. I will hold the line.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Judging by my Facebook friends I'm scared he's right. Dudebros just dont give a shit about anything we care about.

Kyon

Banned
Not WW.

Also 360 had a 1 year head start last time. This time it will be months or maybe even the same month at the end of the year for PS4 and 360.

It will be interesting seeing sales then actually.

I dont understand why you would purchase a One over a ps4 knowing what we know at this point, I guess the only reason is account status.

Zee-Row

Banned
I have a feeling Call of Duty is gonna get Tony Hawked and Guitar Heroed , every big milked franchise eventually runs its course.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Swinging my hands like I'm holding a baseball bat isn't as immersive as holding a wiimote and doing it.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Sure, if it existed in a vacuum without competition. I doubt Sony is going to roll over and put up with the aggressive marketing stuff you're suggesting again. But who knows, they've left it bizzarely unanswered before.

Skytylz

Banned
Think about the gamers man! Anyways, I wouldn't be surprised if the Xbone does really well especially if they price lower than the PS4. I won't be helping them though.

I think it will outsell the PS4 this holiday... IN THE USA... all other territories will belong to the PS4.

dudebro is a force to be reckoned with and people love getting the next version of something they already have. they will be impressed with being able to change the channel with motion and voice commands and they don't care about tech specs. ask them what GPU they have and they'll probably tell you "1.8" or something. they just want their madden & CoD system that their buddies get.

This could very well happen, yes.

I don't see it happening, but I won't say it's impossible. We'll see. I don't see the casuals flocking to Kinect again just because this one "works better". Lots of different factors left to see. Way too early to call.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
US - sure
Around the world - lol

I actually agree, Xbox One's announcement was not good but I actually have the most faith in them for this gen, which is weird.

But that could also be becomes the Xbox One is likely to be the biggest out of the media stuff, and motion controls.

The media stuff is exactly why they won't be number one because anything they do, Apple will do much better and quicker.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Kinect is already the next Wiimote...
They're both fads that have run their course.

Kinect 2 being a selling point is like making the Wiimote a selling point again. People already know what Kinect does.

And so far Sony have been out-manoeuvring MS in the marketing stakes, as well as the console R&D

In the end it will come down to the games, and they wont be multiplats, so we will see.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
I'm not going to buy a PS4 or XOne on day one or even in the next few years (too big of a back log) but you can't deny that despite all the BS microsoft has put out the last few days and the shitstorm of hate it's facing in the hardcore community, that console is most probably going to sell pretty damn well, relatively speaking (relative to Wii U / PS4 I mean).

PS4 may be the best hardcore system for indie titles, Sony 1st party games, and graphics, but the One is going to be compelling for the mass market and even many of you hardcore fellas out there. Just wait until E3. I would be shocked if I'm wrong.

Not WW.

Also 360 had a 1 year head start last time. This time it will be months or maybe even the same month at the end of the year for PS4 and 360.

It will be interesting seeing sales then actually.

itll come down to microsoft courting devs for exclusive content for major blockbuster titles and stick with only on xbox one. which also means lots more air time for TV ad unless sony plans to actually you know market the system after launch and not let it die.

Top Bottom