• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unrest: An Unconventional RPG Set in Ancient India (Kickstarter funding goal reached)

epmode

Project page

Pitch video

While I don't know if this will deliver in the end, I feel like the premise alone is worth a thread.

Unrest is a story driven RPG set in ancient India in the midst of an uprising. Play as ordinary men and women struggling for safety, freedom, food for their children, and a chance at peace.

-Explore the drought and famine stricken streets of an ancient Indian city, where a fog of hunger and discontent shrouds the natural beauty of the land.

-Use the detailed conversation system to instill fear, command respect and gain the trust and friendship of others. Understand your enemies and make them see your side of the story.

-The narrative adapts to failure and death - instead of a game over screen, the plot continues and your fate becomes part of it. However, you can still save and load at any time if you want to.

-Make tough and interesting decisions in the lives of people untouched by destiny. The traditional hero’s quest of prophecy, power, and revenge forms a backdrop to your own struggles.

-Combat is brutal, decisive…and always avoidable. Bloodshed might be the easy way out in some situations, but has lasting consequences beyond those apparent on the surface.

-Hand drawn 2D art and soundtrack based on ancient Indian music to help you immerse yourself in the world.

-Full mod support lets you create your own worlds and adventures.

It's being developed by a small company in India and a Rock Paper Shotgun story brought in a lot more money than they expected. The goal of $3000 has already been reached and they're approaching $13000 with 26 days remaining. A lot of the extra money is going towards a graphics overhaul since that's clearly the least impressive part of the game.

Take the time to read a few project updates. I like how these guys write.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Amazing. Not enough games set in India. As an Indian myself, I look forward to seeing how this turns out.

Sounds like the concept would fit an adventure game better than a RPG, but the setting is definitely different from your typical WRPG medieval castles

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Doesn't seem overly RPGy unless I am missing things, but I do appreciate trying different settings. Give me more high quality RPGs with Sub Saharan Africa as the main setting, or someplace in South America. Mix that shit up.

arvind

Neo Member
Hi everyone, I'm Arvind, the lead/programmer/designer of the project.

So, uh, now that I am here, I guess now is the time to ask me anything about the game? Or we can just hang out, no worries. :)

Thanks for the nice things you people said about the game!

Hi everyone, I'm Arvind, the lead/programmer/designer of the project.

So, uh, now that I am here, I guess now is the time to ask me anything about the game? Or we can just hang out, no worries. :)

Thanks for the nice things you people said about the game!

awesome! I will ask you more things when I have more questions to ask. But for now, I look forward to the finished product!

Shame we don't get much in Ancient India. People tend to forget Ancient India was very powerful and very rich for their time.

Really like seeing games with greater diversity in setting. Branching out of the American and Euro centric settings and characters is definitely welcome. Backed.

Top Bottom