• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 3: Pining for the Good Old Days Edition

Firestorm

[Banner Required]

So the last thread hit 20k in less than half the time than the first one! For those new to this, we share deals and promos on video games in this thread. However, we do sometimes stray off that topic and into other issues that might affect us all -- most commonly internet and wireless deals. Sometimes pillows and McDonalds deals. In any case, it's a pretty casual thread and we're all just here to save some money! You'll see some of the more common promos that we recommend taking advantage of in the first post. The introduction of tsilon has really changed things since the last thread... EB Games went from being one of the best places to shop to irrelevance in just two years.

YvEoj.png

TIVs.ca - neksus' site crowdsources trade-in values at our many stores that accept trade-ins
RedFlagDeals - The largest Canadian deals website.
CheapAssGamer - The Canadian sub-forum of the largest video game deals forum.
GameDealsCanada Twitter Feed - No_Style puts pretty much everything in this thread into a Twitter feed for you to follow
GameDealsCanada Facebook Page - If you'd rather follow on Facebook, you can Like No_Stye's page
GamesForCanada - See "purchasing us only items" below​

lMWYa.png

WOdTD.png

The (Un)Official Canada-GAF Approved method is GamesForCanada. goomba478 of CheapAssGamer runs this website which will help you get just about anything - not just games - from the US to Canada. You use the form on his site to tell him what you want, and he orders it for you then ships it to Canada for a small fee. We have all had great experiences with GFC. He also has a forum.

hrjeV.png

Shoppers Drug Mart
Another store you wouldn't think sells games but does. The deals to be had are using their Shoppers Drug Mart Optimum Program. You can earn and redeem Optimum points for almost everything, which includes games, systems, and accessories, but not pre-paid cards. Normally you only earn 10 points per dollar spent (not including taxes). There are redemption levels that run from 8000 points for $10 to 95000 points for $170 of merchandise (you still have to pay the taxes).

20x Events
You need to make a purchase of $50 before tax, but you earn 200 points per dollar.

18500 (or 15000) Bonus Point Events
You need to make a purchase of $75 before tax, but you earn your regular 10 points per dollar plus the bonus points.

Bonus Redemption Events
Generally these events are 50000 points for $100 or 95000 points for $200 of merchandise.

Super Redemption Events
These have redemptions such as 40000 points for $90, 50000 for $125, 80000 for $200, or 95000 for $250 of merchandise.​

Future Shop & Best Buy
Trade-In Deals
These are the three most common trade-in deals at Future Shop and Best Buy:
  • Trade 1 for $40
  • Trade 2 for $60
  • Trade 2 for New Release
Depending on the week, they'll let you trade in two games on their list for usually a $60 gift card or a new release game. Sometimes they let you do one game for $40. When that happens, it's usually a good idea to jump on it!

E3
During E3, both Future Shop and Best Buy usually have pre-order deals on all the games announced at the show. You aren't charged until they ship and can cancel at any time so it's a good idea to pre-order! These range from 10 or 20% off to $20 off each title. Check this thread at E3!

Future Shop
33% off all games when you pre-order 3 games during E3: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/pre-order-games.aspx

Best Buy
4800 Reward Zone Points ($60) when you pre-order 3 games during E3: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/category/pre-order-hot-games/pcgamingpreorders.aspx

tsilon
This is a Future Shop marketing website. Ask for an invite in this thread or in the tsilon thread. You can complete trivia, daily questions, or game challenges to rank up. After about Level 20 or so you'll have access to perks that usually are $20 off a pre-order. After joining tsilon you probably won't pay over $40 for a new release again. They have also had system deals in the past ($50 off WiiU and Vita).​

Thank you to iphys for the Shoppers Drug Mart section.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
To inaugurate, a question:

Future Shop has a trade in promo where 1 selected game gets you a $40 gift card and 2 games get you a $60 one.

There's a sale on PSN for P4A with all DLC for $28, I was thinking on trading in the physical copy to buy PSN cards and get the digital copy. Will this work? When do the PSN bundle deals end?

EDIT: Also, great OP. I like it. :)

EDIT 2: The bundle deal is over but the regular price is still $45. Trading P4A at FS gets you $40, so $5 for all the cosmetic DLC + announcers + not having to swap discs is still pretty good for me.

Firestorm

To inaugurate, a question:

Future Shop has a trade in promo where 1 selected game gets you a $40 gift card and 2 games get you a $60 one.

There's a sale on PSN for P4A with all DLC for $28, I was thinking on trading in the physical copy to buy PSN cards and get the digital copy. Will this work? When do the PSN bundle deals end?

EDIT: Also, great OP. I like it. :)
I'd ask them if you can buy PSN cards with a Future Shop gift card. If so, then yes that would work fine!

So I've gotten possession of my new house, and I think I need a pillow deal. Any resident pillow expert willing to help out? =D

Nah, but I'll be here to dole out unused tsilon codes and invites, if necessary.

Seriously, pillow deals would be awesome.

Cheerilee

So I've gotten possession of my new house, and I think I need a pillow deal. Any resident pillow expert willing to help out? =D

Nah, but I'll be here to dole out unused tsilon codes and invites, if necessary.

Seriously, pillow deals would be awesome.

Make your own pillows. Find an old couch, remove the stuffing, soak the stuffing in some bleach for a while to kill all the everything, rinse it, dry it, rip it into tiny bits and pieces, cram it into a pillowcase, staple it shut, and you're done.

zeitgeist

Awesome new thread.

Guess everyone may have seen this already but according to RFD, GOW:J, Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite and AC 3 will all be $30 next week.
(Not amazing for AC3 since it has been 20 already)

EDIT: Oh god, I forgot. It's at Walmart...

Anony

anyone know where to get a (preferably new) wii fit balance board?
only place I've seen it is shoppers and it's 100$ still

(toronto)

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I need a deal on New Super Mario Bros. Wii-U. Canadian Gaming Deals Thread, work your magicks.

I made my own Wii-U tablet screen protector out of plastic wrapping that comes with games.

Yawnier

Banned
Awesome new thread.

Guess everyone may have seen this already but according to RFD, GOW:J, Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite and AC 3 will all be $30 next week.

$30 where? Like what store?

Edit: Looks like Walmart

champagne.jpg

Here's to another 400 pages!

Think I'm still gonna hold off until Tomb Raider is $20. Want to hold onto as much of my giftcards as I can for next gen.

Gadirok

Congratulations to everyone for the milestone!

Happy that gaf embraced the Canadian gaming community, and I'm glad to have joined it after I left
banned
from RFD.

Looking forward to next-gen deals already :)

Awww man, I was hoping the third thread would have it written as [Canada] or I would have accepted [Canadian], it was so easy to spot and find the first thread :p

iphys

anyone know where to get a (preferably new) wii fit balance board?
only place I've seen it is shoppers and it's 100$ still

(toronto)

If you're getting a Wii U eventually I'd recommend waiting, as they'll most likely have a Wii Fit U bundle that gets you the newest game, pedometer, and balance board for $100. Otherwise, I've seen Shoppers put this on sale several times before during Optimum events, for like $80 when it's 18500 bonus points for spending $75. They're supposed to be doing a bonus point event next week, but I didn't see any video games in the flyer. If they still haven't cleared these out by the time Wii Fit U comes out, I imagine they'll be on sale again for sure though.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Thank you Shoppers Drug Mart for supplying me with chocolate and enough Optimum points to fund a PlayStation 4.

Top Bottom