• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters Neowave (PS2) Review

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
-------------------
-------------------
The King of Fighters Neowave
-------------------
-------------------
neowavetitle3lr.jpg

Platform: Playstation 2
Developer: Sammy/SNK Playmore
Publisher: SNK Playmore
Genre: Fighting
# Of Players: 1-2
Price: 6800 Yen
Released: 07/21/05 (Japan only)
Other: Online Play using KDDI Service (Japan only)

-------------------
--Game Info--------
-------------------

The King of Fighters Neowave was the first SNK title to be released on Sammy's Atomiswave arcade hardware rather than the Neo-Geo MVS. The game is essentially an upgrade to The King of Fighters 2002, and while the arcade version altered the line-up by removing several characters or making them unlockable hidden characters, the Playstation 2 version receives an additional five extra characters (Angel, Seth, May Lee, Omega Rugal, and Kusanagi), giving Neowave all of the original 2002 cast (minus K9999) plus Saishyu, King, Shingo, Jhun, and the game's new boss, the younger version of Geese Howard from Art of Fighting 2, making a total of 47 playable characters. Like KOF 2002 and KOF '98 before it, Neowave is a "Dream Match" game, meaning there is no storyline whatsoever.

neowaveclock21wr.jpg
neowavegeese2go.jpg

What's new to KOF Neowave lies in the game play. The game system has now been changed; there are five buttons rather than the standard four; the new fifth button activates your character's Heat Gauge. Going into Heat mode makes your character temporarily stronger, but causes your lifebar to drain until the mode is turned off.

The game play system has now been split into three separate selectable types of modes:

Super Cancel allows for up to three super bars, and the ability to cancel special moves into other special moves. Doing this will use one super bar, and you can also cancel into DMs, SDMs, and HSDMs (must have 1/6th life left) with two or three stocks stored.

neowaveclock17bc.jpg
neowavetrain27wd.jpg

Guard Break mode allows for Just Defend parry attacks a la Garou Mark of The Wolves. You get two super bars, and can also do unblockable guard break attacks which use up one of your super meters.

neowavetemple21rw.jpg
neowavetemple11cg.jpg

Max2 Mode has your character's super meter increases automatically, however, you lose the ability to roll or evade attacks (although you can do recovery rolls when you get knocked down). HSDMs can be done with 1/4th of your lifebar remaining.

neowavehsdm2qq.jpg
neowaveplant28zk.jpg

Although KOF Neowave's sprites are the same as KOF 2002, Neowave has a noticeably more colorful and smoother look compared to the Neo-Geo KOF games. You can choose from six levels of sprite filtering, as well as edit two of the character's four color schemes.
The backgrounds, high-res 2D in the arcade, and made 3D for the Playstation (both versions are selectable) with added day/night variations, are of a much higher quality than past games, although they do tend to look empty or are devoid of animation for the most part.

neowavebridge20ii.jpg
neowaveshipyard9xo.jpg

Neowave also has a brand new soundtrack, with both the original arcade and a new arranged version available, and both sound immensely better than the soundtracks found in the KOF games that were released after the old SNK shut down back in 2001. While not quite the same, the music reminds more of the older KOF games with mostly jazzier tunes and some tecnho thrown in.

neowaveplant15ip.jpg
neowavebridge12ix.jpg

KOF Neowave offers the usual array of play modes, including Team Play, Single Play, Practice, and Endless (survival) mode. Playing through the Endless mode will unlock bonus characters as well as character artwork in the gallery mode.

-------------------
--Overall----------
-------------------

Graphics: 8/10- The filtering options give the characters a smooth, colorful look, but these are still the same old sprites (some dating back to 1996) that are being reused over and over again. The detailed backgrounds really help to enhance the experience and make Neowave stand out from the other KOF games, but they come off as sparse and empty compared to some of the other KOF titles. Presentation is very bland, although none of it means much once you start fighting. Character artwork looks fantastic.

neowaveangel6gn.jpg
neowavecolor3an.jpg

Sound: 8/10- Great music that sounds much better than the soundtracks found in KOF 2001-2003, but still not quite up to pre-2000 standards.

Game Play: 10/10- A bit tighter compared to KOF 2002. The new Guard Break mode in particular makes an already in-depth fighter play even better and allows for even more types of game play. If you like the way KOF 2002 plays, chances are you will love KOF Neowave.

Replay Value: 8/10 (Not counting online play as I am unable to try it)- You can always spend countless hours going head to head with friends, but for single player, It's always nice to have more than just the standard practice and survival modes. Where are the time attack/challenge modes that KOF 2002 had?

-------------------
-------------------

The King of Fighters Neowave offers offers no (real) new characters or content, but there's no denying that this is easily one of the best KOF games in the series, and the new game play systems add more depth and new game play options that really help to enhance the overall experience. Reccomended for fans; casual players will likely want to pass on this and get The King of Fighters 2002/2003 two pack instead.

neowavepark20ea.jpg
neowavetrain14nw.jpg

-------------------
-------------------

On one hand it's sad to see that SNK is still stuck in the mid 90's with their fighters, but on the other hand I'd still buy it...speaking of which, this being released outside of Japan?

Nice review BTW.

Lyte Edge

Thanks, guys! :)

jaundicejuice said:
On one hand it's sad to see that SNK is still stuck in the mid 90's with their fighters, but on the other hand I'd still buy it...speaking of which, this being released outside of Japan?

Nice review BTW.

Neowave isn't going to be released for the PS2 in the U.S. (and likely not in Europe now either), but it was announced for the Xbox. You won't see it until sometime next year, since they still have KOF 2002/2003, KOF '94 Rebout (I still can't believe they think this will sell), and Samurai Shodown V for Xbox first. IMO they should scrap KOF 2002 and make a KOF Neowave/2003 double pack or bundle Rebout with Neowave instead.

Lyte Edge

jaundicejuice said:
Do you know if SamShoV coming to the PS2, or is it Xbox only?

Xbox only. You're not going to see SNK games on PS2 in the States unless they come in double packs, so no SSV, SvC Chaos, KOF '94 Rebout, KOF Neowave, Twinkle Star Sprites la Petite Princess, and Garou MOTW in the U.S. I think I read somewhere that the SSV Xbox port is actually being handled by SNK USA and that there's no plans to release it in Japan.

I don't understand why after all this time they're still dead set on porting SSV (from the PS2, which had no enhancements, but did get an arranged soundtrack and has Sankuro and Yumeji playable) instead of Samurai Shodown V Special.

At this point I'm not even interested in SSV on Xbox; I'm waiting to see how SS Tenka turns out instead.

SKOPE

Didn't SNK Playmore USA say it hoped to be able to release some of its SCEA-rejected PS2 games after the PS3 was released?

jarrod

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
Neowave isn't going to be released for the PS2 in the U.S. (and likely not in Europe now either), but it was announced for the Xbox. You won't see it until sometime next year, since they still have KOF 2002/2003, KOF '94 Rebout (I still can't believe they think this will sell), and Samurai Shodown V for Xbox first. IMO they should scrap KOF 2002 and make a KOF Neowave/2003 double pack or bundle Rebout with Neowave instead.
Rebout/NeoWave would make a great bundle. Too bad SNKP backed out of SS5 Special, as SNKP USA was planning on bundling it with SSV to get past SCEA. :/

CO_Andy

Nice review, although it would make more sense to put it on the front of Gaming-Age.

Still waiting for MotW to be annouced for the X-Box...

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Actually, to be honest this looks really great. The design quality of the 3D backgrounds looks a hell of a lot better conceptually than most of what we've seen since KoF98, and the fact that they went all out in some details - sprite options, color edit, arranged soundtrack - is great. The gameplay system select is actually interesting since KoF2002 is actually considered tournament worthy and has been getting more attention as a 'serious contender' KoF.

Well, at least the Xbox version will get released for sure in the US, with Live support thrown in. Now, if the Xbox version has Maximum Impact Maniax's custom tournament feature...

KingJ2002

Lyte Edge said:
Xbox only. You're not going to see SNK games on PS2 in the States unless they come in double packs, so no SSV, SvC Chaos, KOF '94 Rebout, KOF Neowave, Twinkle Star Sprites la Petite Princess, and Garou MOTW in the U.S. I think I read somewhere that the SSV Xbox port is actually being handled by SNK USA and that there's no plans to release it in Japan.

I don't understand why after all this time they're still dead set on porting SSV (from the PS2, which had no enhancements, but did get an arranged soundtrack and has Sankuro and Yumeji playable) instead of Samurai Shodown V Special.

At this point I'm not even interested in SSV on Xbox; I'm waiting to see how SS Tenka turns out instead.

"We got a closer look at Samurai Shodown V for the Xbox today when SNK reps stopped by the GameSpot office. This is a direct port of the arcade game, which is the latest in the long-running and highly revered NeoGeo fighting series. Interestingly, SNK Japan has just given its US branch the green light to start doing its own development, and Samurai Shodown V is the first result of that development. Sunnyvale, California-based Signature Devices is handling the porting duties on the game" - GameSpot

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Very informative Lyte!

For you, I think I'll finally snag KoF 2-pack on XBox this August. Hope to catch you online!

Lyte Edge

CO_Andy said:
Nice review, although it would make more sense to put it on the front of Gaming-Age.

That would make sense if I actually wrote for Gaming-Age. :) This is just a fan review from me.

Still waiting for MotW to be annouced for the X-Box...

I'd love to see it for Xbox, too, but right now SNK's Online Collection is only on PS2. Last Blade 1&2 is the next in the series.

llTll

Banned
i played this game for half an hour, and gave it back to my friend.

my review?

its the same as any KOF game but less fighters, kinda 3D backgrounds but not for real.

same $%$#%#$ mother #$#$#$ lame final boss fights. 2 hits and you are dead.. but this time. the final boss is so stupid who wants to be Andy bogard like, but fail horribly.

if you have KOF2002, then dont get this. at least in KOF2002 there are more fighters than here. and you wont be missing anything

llTll

Banned
dock UK said:

i dont know. is there a KOF after 2002 and before neowave?

because i remember i was playing an arcade KOF game on my xbox, maybe KOF 2003 if there is one.

i really dont remember.

but i just felt that KOF neowave is missing fighters.

Lyte Edge

llTll said:
i played this game for half an hour, and gave it back to my friend.

my review?

its the same as any KOF game but less fighters, kinda 3D backgrounds but not for real.

same $%$#%#$ mother #$#$#$ lame final boss fights. 2 hits and you are dead.. but this time. the final boss is so stupid who wants to be Andy bogard like, but fail horribly.

if you have KOF2002, then dont get this. at least in KOF2002 there are more fighters than here. and you wont be missing anything

You really have no idea what you're talking about, do you? :)

llTll said:
i dont know. is there a KOF after 2002 and before neowave?

KOF 2003.

but i just felt that KOF neowave is missing fighters.

Not all of the characters are visible on the select screen. You have to hold down R1 over certain portraits and they change to reveal the hidden characters. This would be obvious if you actually played the game for more than 30 seconds.

The characters that were hidden in the arcade version are available from the start; you only need to unlock the five PS2 exclusive characters.

So in total, the characters you get by holding down R1 are Kim, Vanessa, Ramon, Geese, Seth, Kusanagi, Angel, Omega Rugal, and May Lee if I'm not leaving anyone out. The Orochi team's alternate versions are also selectable with R1.

And yes, like I said in my review, in the PS2 version, the entire 2002 cast with the exception of K9999 is in the game, along with several more characters. IIRC this is the largest KOF roster yet.

Finaika

Thanks for the review Lyte Edge! I was hesitant at first, but u just convinced me to buy this.

Now maybe u can do that Twinkle Star Sprites review eh? :)

Sanjuro

Himuro said:
Holy shit, I haven't seen KOF sprites that look that good in a long while. Color me impressed. They flow so well with the background it's ridiculous.

Yeah this game is amazingly beautiful. Makes you wonder why alot of old 2D franchises don't go all out making beautiful 2D games.

Dawn of Sorrow for DS will be nice, but imagine a completly new Castlevania or Contra with high quality / fluid sprites for the consoles.

so you can choose sprite filters? and between 2d and 3d backgrounds?

what sprite filters and backgrounds are the best for the game?

Lyte Edge

SanjuroTsubaki said:
Yeah this game is amazingly beautiful. Makes you wonder why alot of old 2D franchises don't go all out making beautiful 2D games.

I was showing a bunch of games from the past year to a friend of mine that I hadn't see in a long time. We played the five KOF releases; Neowave looks so much better than all the other versions; the image quality and filtering really makes a difference.

Finaika said:
Thanks for the review Lyte Edge! I was hesitant at first, but u just convinced me to buy this.

Now maybe u can do that Twinkle Star Sprites review eh? :)

I don't think I'm going to bother doing a TSS review; it's pretty much the exact same game as the original Neo-Geo version, but with three extra characters, some new art (not to my tastes), and rather plain looking 3D graphics. You can also unlock the original Neo-Geo version, but it's incredibly pixelated like the original KOF '94 is in KOF '94 Rebout.

Kabuki Waq said:
so you can choose sprite filters? and between 2d and 3d backgrounds?

what sprite filters and backgrounds are the best for the game?

Yes, you can do all that...it's in the review above! ^_^; Which filters and backgrounds you like depends on your taste. The more filtered the sprites, the blurrier they get, so it depends if you like blur or pixels. :) I prefer setting 2 with the 3D backgrounds. The 3D backgrounds look very close to the 2D versions, plus they have more going on and you get alternate versions of them.

Lyte Edge

krypt0nian said:
Hey Cheers for this Lyte!

Its going to be tuff to wait til 06 for the xbox version. =(

You should think about getting a modded or Japanese PS2. :) There's always going to be some great games that aren't going to make it over here. Another fun 2D fighting game that seems to have no chance of getting released Stateside is Sammy's The Rumblefish.

Lyte Edge said:
You should think about getting a modded or Japanese PS2. :) There's always going to be some great games that aren't going to make it over here. Another fun 2D fighting game that seems to have no chance of getting released Stateside is Sammy's The Rumblefish.

Any word on Mark of the Garou coming over?

What's a pre-modded or JPN PS2 go for at this point in the game?

EDIT - lik-sang/playasia are showing the ceramic white pstwo for $219.

Lyte Edge

krypt0nian said:
Any word on Mark of the Garou coming over?

Nothing right now, but apparently Twinkle Star Sprites is going to come out in the U.S. by itself for $19.99, so maybe we'll see a similar announcement with Garou. Garou is also the first in what will be a series of PS2 releases featuring older Neo-Geo games; next up is Last Blade 1&2.

What's a pre-modded or JPN PS2 go for at this point in the game?

Not sure about Japanese systems, but last time I checked slimline modded PS2s were between $200-$250. I got mine for around $230...pretty much depends on the chip you get with it. If you have a slim PS2 already, just do what I did and sell it; I got over $100 for mine and put that towards the modded system. Didn't seem like that bad a price after that. :)

Takuan

MOtherfuck this game's boss. FROMAGE. Otherwise, fun shit. Lyte, are there any unlockable characters, and if so, how do I go about unlocking 'em? Thanks.

Nice review/plug. I'm not usually much of a KOF fan (just haven't gotten into the way they play, and the cheesy difficulty sometimes), but that did make me want the game. Just a shame SCEA is so pig-headed about letting sprite-based titles be released in the US, though.

Lyte Edge

Takuan said:
MOtherfuck this game's boss. FROMAGE. Otherwise, fun shit. Lyte, are there any unlockable characters, and if so, how do I go about unlocking 'em? Thanks.

Did you read the review?? :)

Yes, there are five unlockable PS2 exclusive characters. You can get them by going through the Endless mode...beat each one and he/she becomes playable.

Kulock said:
Nice review/plug. I'm not usually much of a KOF fan (just haven't gotten into the way they play, and the cheesy difficulty sometimes), but that did make me want the game. Just a shame SCEA is so pig-headed about letting sprite-based titles be released in the US, though.

Neowave would be a great budget release at $19.99-$29.99 IMO.

Top Bottom