• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Arcade SalesGaf June 2013 Thread of Destruction, Decay and Dragons

Rlan

Welcome to the new Xbox Live Arcade Sales Analysis Thread for NeoGAF! I began this a few months ago, and will continue on this month!

This month we've got the release of CastleStorm, State of Decay, Dungeon & Dragons Capcom Collection and more!

But before we do that, let's look back at the month of May:

may2013-4.png

So for the month of May:

- Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon has done very well, with over 200,000 players in four weeks. I imagine it's also done well on PSN and PC.
- Doritos Crash Course 2 added 1,460,878 players to the leaderboards over 3 weeks. By comparison the original Doritos Crash Course added 1,449,359 in 4 weeks - so Crash Course 2 has actually done a LOT better than the original! Now if it's made money is another thing entirely, because we've no idea.
- Way of The Dogg did terribly (and got awful reviews) and Monaco hasn't done well either.
- Unfortunately could not follow Sanctum 2 or Hunter's Trophy. Sanctum 2 is the best reviewed game of the month with 81 on Metacritic, while Hunter's Trophy has the lowest with 25.
- Also couldn't follow Call of Juarez: Gunslinger which is a shame. It does have 8,856 players on the "Arcade Mode" leaderboard, which probably means there's a LOT more than that who have played the normal game. Also had good buzz around it at the moment.

Other notes:

- Terraria has hit over 350,000 players.
- Battleblock Theater is over 200,000 players.
- Minecraft still doing nearly a quarter of a million sales a month. And the retail release is now in stores!

A huge thanks to C4Lukins for stats on Terraria, Way of the Dogg and Poker Night 2, and Lifelower for helping out with stats for COJ Gunslinger.

And now for June! That will be in the next post below! Stay tuned!

Rlan

For the First Week of June, 2013!

New Releases: CastleStorm by Zen Studios
Also the "rerelease" of Wolfenstein 3D, now just under a new banner, but we didn't decide to follow that.

xblajune2013-1.png

Notes:

- CastleStorm has added 19,850 players in the first week, which is okay. It's coming out on other platforms soon as well.
- Battleblock Theater continues to hold up very well sales wise.

Feorax

Minecraft still doing extremely well. You have to expect that it will be announced to be on at least one of the next-gen consoles this E3.

Hoping that CoJ: Gunslinger has had good sales. Not picked it up myself yet but be looking into it.

Pleased about Blood Dragon sales too.

Bought State of Decay myself, very excited for that seems to be a great game so I am hoping that does well too.

C4Lukins

Minecraft still doing extremely well. You have to expect that it will be announced to be on at least one of the next-gen consoles this E3.

If you look at Amazon right now, they just released it at retail and it is the top selling 360 game.

Card Boy

Banned
1.4 million for Crash Course 2 and the game still doesn't work a month later. I kid you not. I can't get past the start screen due to connection errors.

What a piece of shit.

C4Lukins

1.4 million for Crash Course 2 and the game still doesn't work a month later. I kid you not. I can't get past the start screen due to connection errors.

What a piece of shit.

I have never had a problem with it.

dejay

Banned
Add one more for Castlestorm. I was gonna pick up State of Decay, but due to it not being released to our censorship board in time or something I gave CS a go and it's fucking great.

Rlan

Also, in addition, the first week's XBLA Top 10 was released

1. Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition
2. Call of Juarez Gunslinger
3. CastleStorm
4. Terraria – Xbox 360 Edition
5. Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon
6. BattleBlock Theater
7. Trials Evolution
8. Castle Crashers
9. The Walking Dead
10. Alan Wake’s American Nightmare
11. Pinball FX2
12. Trials HD
13. God Mode
14. Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D’s Decade Duels Plus
15. Worms 2: Armageddon
16. Sonic Adventure 2
17. Darkstalkers Resurrection
18. Motocross Madness
19. Fruit Ninja Kinect
20. Counter-Strike: GO

So Stevenrulez, it looks like it's done quite well! Maybe not as good as Blood Dragon, but it's definitely held in there.

I'm amazed by the popularity of Minecraft. Anyway, we've discussed Way of the Lion in the previous thread. I'm really interested in seeing how State of Decay is gonna perform. Castlestorm has had a decent start. I read positive things about it in XBLA thread.

JaggedSac

I'm amazed by the popularity of Minecraft. Anyway, we've discussed Way of the Lion in the previous thread. I'm really interested in seeing how State of Decay is gonna perform. Castlestorm has had a decent start. I read positive things about it in XBLA thread.

Was just reading the OT for State of Decay and it has done somewhere around 135,000 in the first 24 hours.

I'm glad Blood Dragon did well as it opens the possibility of more craziness, at least from Ubisoft.

I'm also happy Gunslinger is selling, it's a great game with excellent mechanics, and a very good story. Not to mention more Westerns are never a bad thing.

Superfrog

Thanks Rlan, nice work. I'm curious to see how well State of Decay will be doing. Marketing for the game was basically nonexistant and the lack of multiplayer plus the high price won't make it very easy for it.

Yeah I thought it was close to dead, but they have been killing it for the past couple of months.

I think XBLA has probably become less popular among core gamers, partly because of the Xbox One DRM speculation disaster and the end of the platform lifecycle drawing closer. On the other hand, the 360 audience has become so huge that hundreds of people still discover XBLA for the first time every day.

Rlan

Thanks Rlan, nice work. I'm curious to see how well State of Decay will be doing. Marketing for the game was basically nonexistant and the lack of multiplayer plus the high price won't make it very easy for it.

Actually it's doing rediculously well. 139,595 with just over a day out. That's kind of nuts.

The $20 digital game revolution begins!

Leflus

Nice to see that State of Decay is doing well.

It could become the next sales juggernaught on XBLA if they support it like 4J Studios has supported Minecraft. Co-op support is a must.

Actually it's doing rediculously well. 139,595 with just over a day out. That's kind of nuts.

The $20 digital game revolution begins!

Absolutely deserved.

The game is simply amazing, probably one the best games on Live Arcade and easily one of the best survival zombie games to ever be created.

Con_Smith

Banned
It's sad that Monaco hasn't been selling as it's my go to game atm. I guess the best thing about it is that you rarely run into kids in multiplayer, although you have to wait forever to even play with another person even during peak times on live.

been a lot of titles for 20 bucks on there lately, I got SFIV AE and Tekken tag for 20 each. was happy with that!

Yep they had a great GoD sale a while back.

I wonder how promotions etc will be handled with Xbox One since XBLA will be merged with GoD. Hopefully smaller games will still get some of the spotlight.

Hi, over on the Undead Lab forums, we're tracking leaderboard numbers. So this is an accurate way of determining sales numbers?

By the way, right now, not even two days after release, State of Decay is over 200,000 on the leaderboards

Noogy

..and it hasn't even been on sale yet. It's absolutely insane.

What's amazing about this is that Minecraft is still the number one selling XBLA title even when everything else is aggressively on sale (like during the last Holiday sale). That game is a monster, and Notch can replace all of his bones with diamonds.

Rlan

What's amazing about this is that Minecraft is still the number one selling XBLA title even when everything else is aggressively on sale (like during the last Holiday sale). That game is a monster, and Notch can replace all of his bones with diamonds.

Would love to know your sales vs steam stuff, even if it's just "better" or "as good" :p

TwiztidElf

Go CastleStorm. I hope it does well. It's a great, fun game.
I really think since Bizarre Creations got shut down Zen Studios is my new favourite dev.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Yep they had a great GoD sale a while back.

I wonder how promotions etc will be handled with Xbox One since XBLA will be merged with GoD. Hopefully smaller games will still get some of the spotlight.

actually this bothers me too. When I look at XBLA now, I'd like to default my view to the newest arcade titles but GOD does tend to get a lot more of the dashboard spotlight already.

From the Undead Labs forum, by devs @10am

The leaderboard lags behind sales, because people often buy with the intention of playing later.

I know we passed 200K sales last night

It is, put simply, a miracle. However, I don't believe in miracles. I know who did it. You guys told your friends and made enough noise that IGN and Polygon took a look at us and got interested.

212,293 on the leaderboards for SoD.

Damn impressive.

Hell. Yes.

Glad there's a lot of people who are loving it. It's so fun! Probably the best zombie game I've played (things like L4D are fun, but nowhere near as insane as the simulation they have in this game).

Hopefully that means Class 4 is on the way.

http://undeadlabs.com/2013/06/news/breaking-records/

We have sold more than a quarter million copies since we released the game two days ago. State of Decay has smashed all kinds of records. The only game that ever sold more on XBLA this fast was Minecraft…an already hugely popular game.

There just aren’t the words to describe the feeling.

This was you. We did not have an ad budget. We didn’t have a physical copy to load onto shelves, no worldwide multimedia push, no studio reputation with millions of followers. All we had was what we believed was a great game and a great community. And make no mistake, a solid game is not enough, not in 2013. Plenty of great games wither away in obscurity. This train got rolling because you got out and pushed.

Oh, and by the way, we're already north of 270K

I mean, the next record to break is the all time XBLA sales record. Six million, I think. Who’s with us?

Checked State of Decay an leaderboards an hour ago

Somewhere about 460K. That's week one sales

Brilliant news. It's always heart-warming to see a good game sell well. Especially when it's coming from a small team that has made one of the most ambitious zombie titles ever.

They've changed the zombie genre for me, I can't see myself playing another zed game and not comparing it to SoD.

mujun

Brilliant news. It's always heart-warming to see a good game sell well. Especially when it's coming from a small team that has made one of the most ambitious zombie titles ever.

They've changed the zombie genre for me, I can't see myself playing another zed game and not comparing it to SoD.

Yep. I actually feel like I'm surviving a zombie apocalypse and the sim stuff is great.

Checked State of Decay an leaderboards an hour ago

Somewhere about 460K. That's week one sales

Make a game relevant to the Xbox target audience and you can seriously roll in it. That's a phenomenal figure for week one, it'll have massive legs too. Wonder if it can hit Minecraft levels over time.

Rlan

Alright, update for the second week!

xblajune2013-2.png

- Didn't get Terraria Stats this week.
- State of Decay added 395,944 players on the leaderboards in the first week on my timestamp, congratulations! My time is Wednesday to the end of my Monday (ie; Monday morning for Americans)

And good to see it almost hit 470,000 players now, if not more!

Rlan

And update for third week!

xblajune2013-31.png

- All Three releases this week weren't able to be followed due to the leaderboard setup.
- State of Decay has added 155,163 new players, crossing over 550K over the two weeks.

Top Bottom