• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trailer for NBC's "Siberia", a foundfootage scripted horror show about a reality show

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivysaur12

Banned
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/nbcs-siberia-trailer-debuts-564800

The first trailer has debuted for NBC's scripted summer series Siberia, which centers on a group of reality contestants.

Siberia takes place more than 100 years after a meteor hits the remote Siberian territory of Tunguska in 1908. Sixteen competitors have descended on Tunguska not knowing the land's mysterious past. When a contestant is badly injured and no help arrives, the contestants realize that strange occurrences are not part of the reality show. With their safety threatened, the contestants are forced to work together to survive.

The two-minute trailer offers a glimpse into the way Siberia is shot and the tone of the series. The obvious comparisons being ABC's mythology-heavy drama Lost and CBS' long-running competition series Survivor.

Questions like "What is the game?" and "What is real?" are at the forefront when things start to go awry. (See: mysterious creatures, deaths, sickness, in-fighting, the list goes on and on.) When one of the contestants bellows "What kind of game is this?!" we get the sense that Siberia delves into some deep, dark -- and possibly horrific -- places.

Siberia, created by Matthew Arnold, hails from Infinity Films with Sierra/Engine Television and Welldone Productions. Michael Ohoven, Slava Jakovleff and Chris Philip serve as executive producers.

This seemed weird enough to warrant a new thread. If nothing else, they did a good job capturing the feel of a Survivor. At least enough so that one of the reporters at ET thought it was actually a reality show that was just messing with the contestants.

NBC? Can't see the show succeeding.

hannibaleppe.jpg

Savitar

Reminds me of that BBC show where it started off as a Big Brother competition only for them to suddenly fake a zombie outbreak with people getting eaten.

Linsies

NBC? Can't see the show succeeding.

Oh come on! Someday (hopefully), they'll get a clue! It looks interesting. I'll check it out... though I can't get over the shows where people keep filming after all hell breaks loose. If everyone is afraid... why would the film crew keep filming (unless they are secretly in on it).

ETA - I also like Hannibal. It's not perfect but so far it has been entertaining.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Reminds me of that BBC show where it started off as a Big Brother competition only for them to suddenly fake a zombie outbreak with people getting eaten.

What's the name of that show?

Edit- Never mind, was answered above.

That looks nothing like Lost. The River? Possibly.

That would have been an excellent show with competent writers. Had a good ending though

hym

Banned
We're sorry, but the clip you selected isn't available from your location. Please select another clip.

No I'm not changing VPN for this, enlighten me why trailers need restrictions.

Thank you ivysaur12.
The uploader has not made this video available in your country.

grgrrrrr fffff NBC, only wanted to check it out make sure it wasn't trashing Siberia's reputation.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I'm confused. Hannibal has incredible critical acclaim and was renewed for a second season.

Oh I know, I was being snarky purely based on the ratings. I'm in that thread every week splooshing all over it. Need to make fun of it every now and again.

I'm intrigued by the premise, but I will go in completely expecting to be let down. The River did an alright job of a found-footage horror TV show, but that at least had Orin Peli working on it. This doesn't seem to have any recognizable talent of that caliber.

not every British TV show is made by the BBC

the BBC would never greenlight a zombie apocalypse satire of reality shows, that's far too interesting and potentially pricey

Savitar

not every British TV show is made by the BBC

the BBC would never greenlight a zombie apocalypse satire of reality shows, that's far too interesting and potentially pricey

Inconceivable.

Everyone knows that British TV consist of BBC to BBC 100 and that every British man wears their monocle while sitting in their favorite chair munching on biscuits and drinking tea.

Seanspeed

Banned
Thats a pretty cool idea. Trailer looks a little 'meh' for me, though. Its not quite 'found footage' enough. Lots of immersion-breaking camera shots.

If I'm still around when it debuts, I'll check it out.

Kuroyume

Banned
The premise is interesting and it had potential... Then I saw the trailer. Unfortunately the acitng in that trailer is embarrassingly bad.

The concept sounds cool, but judging by the reactions to the trailer, the execution might not be. I'd give my own opinion if I could watch the freaking video up here in the Canadas.

RS4-

Dead Set was awesome. Was googling to try and remember the name of that show, didn't realize BBC released another one called "In the Flesh."

Anyway, Siberia was alright. Curious to see how it'll all play out.

As for The River, I probably enjoyed one ep, and that was the zombie one.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Freely admit I watched this last night and didn't know it was a fake reality show. Had heard nothing about it, other than the commercials during Ninja Warrior. I figured it was just that bad. Figured it out once the cameraman "died", and the "Special thanks to Manatoba" in the credits.

Would have been so much better if it was a real reality show where they all out screw with the contestants.

I enjoyed the first episode a lot.

Second? Not so much. Theyre slipping into "do stupid things" mode.

IE: Why didnt Tommy tell everyone about the blood he saw in the woods?
Why didnt they ask victoria for her shirt, considering none of them have extra clothes?

Better than the river so far...

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I'm enjoying the show so far (2 eps in). I gave up the colossal trainwreck that is "Under the Dome" to watch Siberia in the same timeslot instead and it's decent Monday night viewing

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Seems interesting so far, but I guess not a lot of us are watching it. Looks like the next episode will be pretty good. You'd think that if stuff was really hitting the fan that the camera crew wouldn't be sticking around for it all.

I watch it with the wife. It's pretty terribly "acted", but it's cheap fun and something to do on a weekday night after the kids turn in.

I really liked the pilot but the next two were lame - ie, standard reality show stuff. Not enough smoke monsters.

And lots of stupid decisions too. Like when mushroom girl left, no one asked her for her extra clothes?

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Damn, looked like some of the more
supernatural aspects
of the show were going to be on tonight's episode, but they had to preempt it for baby news. :/

Edit: Not really sure how spoilerish that is, as it was pretty much present in the very first commercials for the show.

Damn, looked like some of the more supernatural aspects of the show were going to be on tonight's episode, but they had to preempt it for baby news. :/

Yup, sucks.

Also, your above comment seems to be filled with spoilers. If youre not aware of GAF TV policy, anything that has not aired as part of the episode must be spoiler tagged. Previews are spoilers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom