• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Points retirement info (cash credit for MSP, credit expires in a year)

vg260

Dunno if anyone posted this yet. Lock if so:

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/billi...ccount-management/microsoft-points-retire-faq

Some key info:
How does this change affect me?
You will begin using local currency or an Xbox Gift Card (denominated in your local currency) to buy music, games, videos, and more from your favorite Xbox stores. When you use your existing Microsoft Points to initiate a purchase or redeem a Points card with your Microsoft account later this year, we’ll deposit into your account an amount of money equal to or greater than the marketplace value of your Microsoft Points, and your Microsoft Points will be retired. The purchased funds you deposit into your account after the transition will not expire. However, the funds we deposit into your account at the time of the transition will expire one year from the deposit date.

Previously purchased MSP will eventually expire even if redeemed? If I'm understanding that right, that's some BS.

Red-Shift

Neo Member
Dunno if anyone posted this yet. Lock if so:

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/billi...ccount-management/microsoft-points-retire-faq

Some key info:

Previously purchased MSP will eventually expire even if redeemed? If I'm understanding that right, that's some BS.

Yes, you did!

Microsoft considers converting your MSP balance to your local currency a gift to you. Since it's only a "promotional value" the funds they add will expire after a year. Nothing you can do about that thanks to nasty ToS agreements.

A nifty way to wipe the slate clean, making sure that no one who stocked up on cheap MSP during sales in the past can take them into the new generation along with their accounts past the first year, when things might get interesting in terms of games and sales on Xbone.
Not only that, but MS will collect a ton of cash through an "Office Space" scheme grabbing all those cent amounts you can't spend on anything.

And on a nice side note, if you move your account to another region, you will lose your funds in general. So no more hot swapping your US account to the Hungarian marketplace for dirt cheap game sales, or you know, legitimately studying / serving abroad.

I think that is another outrageous and borderline illegal decision by Microsoft to fuck their loyal customers over and milk them for every last drop they can get!

I have a ton of MSP myself exclusively reserved for sales that come far and few in between. It was always the sentiment that retail bought MSP won't expire, which obviously was a fucking lie. If I were you I wouldn't trust MS stating that the funds added to your account through gift cards won't expire.

Obviously Microsoft can do whatever the fuck they want and the majority here doesn't seem to care either!

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Yeah, this is pretty bad.

I guess I'll cash in all my Bing points soon and buy every DLC and Sega game on XBLA that I haven't gotten yet.

hahaha

MS are trolling hard with this console, what are they thinking?

I've had thousands of points on my account since Xmas and still not spent them, though will probably pick up State of Decay when i get a few days off from work.

Slygmous

What happens to the 360 store? Does it change as well?

Imagine the sales as this gen winds down! I wonder what the cutoff period will be for converting points to money.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Points were much better. I averaged almost 50% off over the course of the generation. (and I used at least 90,000 points) I could have beaten that if I'd had more cash on hand several years ago.
The deadline just makes the change worse. Won't matter next gen, though... lol.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
That's pretty fucking weird.

I know that in Canada, and surely other countries (EU?), they have made it illegal for gift cards to expire, for example.

Cels

i have 3200 points in my account right now.

so i suppose i have one year from the transition time (i'm assuming that's the launch of the xbox one) which would be november 2014.

spend all your points before november 2014, folks.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Hey Microsoft, do me a favor and stick Red Dead Redemption up for like 800MS Points/$10 as its really the only thing I want to pick up for your system.

this is some scummy shit

Points were much better. I averaged almost 50% off over the course of the generation. (and I used at least 90,000 points) I could have beaten that if I'd had more cash on hand several years ago.
The deadline just makes the change worse. Won't matter next gen, though... lol.

Yep. Really going to miss points. Haven't paid full price for a game on XBL in years.

Ronabo

So MS is going to spit on me while I walk out the door. Great.

That's right! And don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out.

That's basically their way of thinking unfortunately.

Microsoft really has shit the bed with this whole Xbox One fiasco. :(

SRTtoZ

It's as if MS asks each other "how can we fuck the consumer?" Before making any new policies. Brutal.

amardilo

Yep. Really going to miss points. Haven't paid full price for a game on XBL in years.

Yeah I liked points for this reason.

I could get points cards (and have the code emailed to me straight away) cheaper. Plus certain stores (large chain) would sometimes have discounted cards and promotions.

I wonder if stores will sell gift cards in a similar way.

Megatron

Wow. I have around $50 mspoints right now, $20 are still on a points card. I have $15 earmarked for Ducktales, not sure where the rest will go.

Lima

What happens to the 360 store? Does it change as well?

Yes. This change will happen "this fall" when the new 360 dashboard update drops that will feature the same look as the Xbox One dashboard.

It will probably come out before the Xbox One launch.

Arcoril

What will happen to Microsoft Points Cards?
Microsoft Points Cards will continue to be redeemable on your console and on Xbox.com throughout 2014 and for a limited time thereafter but will be discontinued after the launch of Xbox Gift Cards this fall. Please note that any funds we deposit into your account at the time of the transition will expire one year from the deposit date. Xbox Gift Cards, which will be denominated in your local currency, will be available for purchase in retail stores and through online retailers.

What if I have codes and/or Microsoft Points Cards that I haven’t redeemed?
Go ahead and redeem them! Even after your account transitions, we’ll still accept purchased Microsoft Points Cards and codes through 2014 and for a limited time thereafter, and we’ll credit you an amount of currency equal to or greater than the Marketplace value of those points as we phase out the Microsoft Points program.

Redeem them now so that they expire sooner!

This is bullshit. And it's in your best interest to deposit them at the last possible moment. As a loyalist dating back the original XBox, I hate this shit. I'm a Forza whore, so I'm grudgingly getting a One, but multiplats and everything else on the PS4 for me. Fuck you, Microsoft. I wish I could quit you.

Prezhulio

Ah, so all those points I bought last month during the glitch will be toast? Goodie.

Anybody have a straightforward translation of when I would need to A) redeem codes and B) spend said points?

Odahviing

Banned
from austrian xbox blog:

Die kostenlosen “Games with Gold” Angebote stehen vom 10. Juni bis 31. Dezember 2013 für Xbox Live Goldmitglieder bereit. Das Herunterladen der Spiele die Teil dieses Angebots sind, erfolgt auf einer „Download to own“ Basis. Das Nutzungsrecht kann nicht ablaufen. Weitere Informationen unter xbox.com/live.

translated:

The free" Games with gold "offers are available from 10 June to 31 December 2013 for Xbox Live Gold members. Downloading the games that are part of this offer is made on a" download to own "basis. This right can not proceed . Additional information is available at xbox.com / live.

Arcoril

Ah, so all those points I bought last month during the glitch will be toast? Goodie.

Anybody have a straightforward translation of when I would need to A) redeem codes and B) spend said points?

A - Unfortunately MS hasn't revealed exactly when the redemption cutoff date is. They say it's throughout 2014 and a limited time thereafter, so I wouldn't put it past them to silently drop support for redemptions at 12:01 AM on Jan. 1st, 2015.

B - Exactly one year from the date that they're redeemed. In the case of legacy points that are redeemed before the switchover, it's exactly one year from the switchover date. So again, it's in your best interest to hold off on redeeming them until the end of 2014.

At least that's what they say. Remember that MS points previously had no expiration. Pray they don't alter it further.

38608364.jpg

RedAssedApe

Banned
At least that's what they say. Remember that MS points previously had no expiration. Pray they don't alter it further.
[/IMG]

No completely accurate. A lot of us have been boned by them in the past by this same type of thing. If your MS Points were obtained through a promotion of some sort, the points may have an expiration date. I've lost a few dollars worth of points over the years.

The sucky part is they don't e-mail you to tell you your points are expiring. You have to login and check their shitty billing website that only tells you points are expiring if they are expiring some time in the next 30 days.

At some point they have to sunset the old system and move on. With things going digital, they seem to be giving people plenty of time but its something MS related so the mob is out.

RedAssedApe

Banned
At some point they have to sunset the old system and move on. With things going digital, they seem to be giving people plenty of time but its something MS related so the mob is out.

How is forcing you to spend your balance within a year not a shitty thing to do?

Hopefully you're just not reading the fine print...

Tnetennba

I think I have some odd amount like 350 points, so I guess that might just go on a few indie games. Anything else interesting is already ported elsewhere anyway, but the expiry date is still a stupid way to do this. There's no reason to do it other than to force people to spend the points they're saving, presuming the 360 infrastructure stays in place. I guess it's not like there's anything really coming out after this summer though.

Ephemeris

So in your opinion, the proposal stated above is the best way to handle it?

Arcoril

No completely accurate. A lot of us have been boned by them in the past by this same type of thing. If your MS Points were obtained through a promotion of some sort, the points may have an expiration date. I've lost a few dollars worth of points over the years.

The sucky part is they don't e-mail you to tell you your points are expiring. You have to login and check their shitty billing website that only tells you points are expiring if they are expiring some time in the next 30 days.

Thanks for the clarification. You're completely right. Purchased points had no expiration, but promotional points did.

If I remember correctly, there was no way to differentiate between paid and promotional points. To make things worse, visiting billing.microsoft.com would only list points that were expiring within 90 days. I learned this the hard way when I was a victim of the FIFA exploit and my purchased points were reimbursed with promotional points. I made a huge deal about this over the phone when those points expired and they grudgingly reimbursed me with more promotional points. What a pain in the ass.

Arcoril

There's no technical reason to force an expiration of old funds. If anything, it's extra work to keep track of old money vs. new money. Expired points = free money for MS. It's a pure money grab with no justification.

Red-Shift

Neo Member

I really hope your bank won't send your account into the sunset if they have to update their systems.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Quoting conspiracy theorist from CAG (referring to recent $4.99/1200 MS Point deal):

So now I get their game - let people buy all these cheap points, then force them to buy the new system so they can spend them before they expire ;).

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I have over 10k points hoping I could bring them over to next gen. Not going to get a new xbox so I suppose I'll spend them on Rocksmith and Rockband dlc.

Top Bottom