• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This E3 - #YearOfOpenWorld

So I'm really enjoying E3 this year, loads of fantastic looking next gen games, some megatons, some let downs.

But has anyone else noticed how it seems every game is now open world?

The crew, killzone, the division, destiny, titanfall, watch_dogs, etc etc

Is it this years bow?

Is it an indication of a general trend for next gen, or just that devs aren't sure how to use the extra power in a linear environment yet?

Dennis

Banned
Of course.

Open-world exploration-based non-linear games with choices and consequences are the Holy Grail of Gaming™

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, I'd characterize some of those more as "open area" than "open world", but yes, there are a lot less corridor games.

Acheteedo

Wait, Destiny is open world? It didn't look like it in the demo.

Same for Killzone, what do you mean by open world?

I'm extremely happy to see a rise in open world games though. I guess the extra raw power makes it more of a viable option to developers?

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Last year it was bows, this year it's open-worlds.
Next year it's tentacles.

Bishop89

Well, mgs , killzone and a bunch of prior linear based games are looking way better now with more open environments.

Linear games will still have their place

Hypron

Wait, Destiny is open world? It didn't look like it in the demo.

Same for Killzone, what do you mean by open world?

I'm extremely happy to see a rise in open world games though. I guess the extra raw power makes it more of a viable option to developers?

Killzone has open levels like Crysis 1. It's not open world (the progression is still linear) but you can choose your objectives and stuff.

Also, I thought Destiny was a mmo? It should be open world.

AniHawk

i believe this will be the theme for next gen. sony and microsoft would especially like increased online play since it means people will have to pay them at least $50 a year to access that content.

k_trout

next year will be testicles?...oh tentacles

im not happy about this trend to be honest
i like been drawn through a game
dont like having to make choices, too much like work
give me linear anyday

TokiDoki

Open World is awesome , but if it's not implemented properly , it will hinder the overall game quality . For example copy and paste location , not enough attraction in the world or lacking of story progress urgency . In a sense , a dull open world . I know many of you regarded Arkham City to be inferior than Arkham Asylum because of the open world nature .

So , let see how next gen tackle these . I'm very looking forward to Witcher 3 world TBH

sono

Yes I thought the same thing.

Hope this will generally mean longer gameplay = better value for game purchase.

Acheteedo

Killzone has open levels like Crysis 1. It's not open world (the progression is still linear) but you can choose your objectives and stuff.

Also, I thought Destiny was a mmo? It should be open world.

Crysis 1, are you sure? That was a fully open world.

Maybe you mean more like Crysis 2?

Brinbe

nah, year of destructible environments and flying debris. key difference you know you're watching next-gen or current gen footage.

Opinion question: If a large portion of games released in the new gen are open world, will it take away the significance that old world games have?

To me, when a game is announced as being open world, there's something special about it. It's like an experience that, while not rare, you don't see it in everything.

Acheteedo

lack of Witcher 3 in the op is disturbing. I believe Dragon Age: Inquisition is going to be open world as well

Yes both are open world now, good calls!

It's also the year of bullshit tablet features, but let's ignore that and focus on this much better trend.

Its all gonna be open world with drop in drop out multi so they can keep you always connected and always online instead of direct drm. Still, there's more gameplay emphasis in this games than uncharted clones, so things are looking up.

JWong

Banned
Last year it was bows, this year it's open-worlds.
Next year it's tentacles.

Tentacles have already arrived.

nayGWUM.gif

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Tentacles have already arrived.

nayGWUM.gif

University students. ROFL.
That's what happens when I'm doing my makeup, I decide to clumsily thrash the dressing room in a haze of confusion, with disco lights.

Dennis

Banned
Even if a game isn't fully open-world, simply going from linear corridors to open-ish areas is a huge improvement.

Look at Halo. All the memorable parts are the open areas.

7GB of useable GDDR5 RAM is going to be godsend this gen.

You know sometimes I get tired of these "open world" games. I feel like some developers use it as a crutch just as much as they would a corridor shooter. Sometimes they just throw a ton of content at you and its not really that polished and the world just ends up being there for the sake of being an open world. Good example to me was Just Cause 2. The game play was fun for a while in that game and it sustained my interest for a bit but the world just got lame to explore.

I know open world has come a long way since that game but I just opened up Steam and thats the first one that hit me.

DatDude

Banned
Of course.

Open-world exploration-based non-linear games with choices and consequences are the Holy Grail of Gaming™

Disagree.

Give me a semi linear game with branching paths, that have great focus, great atmosphere and a great narrative.

Sorry for missing some games! But yeah I love that it seems everything is more open and giving the player gameplay choices and hopefully more value for their money, especially if more and more games won't be ressaleable

Acheteedo

What? Have you played the game? It's linear but each level is a sandbox.

Huh, I guess I just played the first level, the massive island where you could go anywhere. Figured the whole game was like that. Still, I doubt Killzone is that open, right?

Also Dead Rising 3 is more open-worldy than its predescesor. Dying Light looks to be the same way.

Division certainly blew my mind, to put it lightly. Graphically it's jaw dropping but the gameplay premise seems fantastic.

I dont get this....at all. It just a cover shooter with large scale multi. Whats so mindblowing about that? Is it that its a large persistent world? Because planetside has been out on pc for a while now and its similar but in first person.

MogCakes

Just being open world doesn't make a game good, just as being linear doesn't make a game bad - it's about presentation and content. Having said that, I really hate the persistent-world ideology that EA and Ubisoft are pushing. I hope Monolith Soft's 'X' doesn't do persistent-world crap, but I have a sinking feeling...

Sethos

Banned
I dont get this....at all. It just a cover shooter with large scale multi. Whats so mindblowing about that? Is it that its a large persistent world? Because planetside has been out on pc for a while now and its similar but in first person.

Because I'm actually able to piece together a game style in my head that fits with that games description, with those graphics, that gameplay, those sounds and come up with an interesting result. Could go either way but I'm remaining optimistic.

It's not as simple as "Herp derp persistent world planetside", there's more nuances to a game and how people perceive it.

rdrr gnr

Open world is best world. It makes me incredibly happy and open world games tend to maximize player agency. Plus, day and night cycles sure are pretty.

Top Bottom