• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4: The requested features that need to happen: Region switching & PSN ID changing

I was going to make a big thread detaling all of this in a more proper form, but I'll just throw them out there now, since it seems like a suitable time (post-E3)...especially after all the news.

From E3 I was hoping for some talk of more new features that expanded on what was (in my opinion, pretty comprehensively) shown on February 21. Unfortunately, these two missing features are still a mystery, and honestly, probably something not even on the radar.

Starting rough in the PS3 generation, the PlayStation Network had some issues and limitations that I believe should and can be now tackled, now that new hardware is coming.

The first is PSN ID's being able to be changed.
Microsoft has allowed this freedom since 2005 if I recall.

With MS, there is a $10 USD charge to avoid abuse (and get some profit) of course, but that freedom is very liberating --- that you can devote yourself to a Gamertag and if something arises that you don't want that nickname anymore, you can change it at any time.
With Sony...want a new name? Start a whole new friends list, trophy list, purchase/download history, and so on.
Is that backwards and ancient to anyone else?

Also, if changing PSN ID was to be put in place, it needs to be the way MS currently has it: if the name is changed, the old name becomes available again. That way, the user can start fresh on a new account but then reserve their old name again

The second and personally more important, is ability to change account region.
Microsoft have started to allow this to be done, with I believe a 6-month limitation, in 2012.

In case you haven't noticed, Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) is divided. SCEA, SCEE, SCEJ, and so on.
Each region has their own PS Store.
When you sign up for PSN, your account region denotes what Store you are able to access.
Each Store has their own different selections of games.
This is even more of a problem now for gamers who want to access other region digital content on PS Vita.
On PS Vita, it is locked to only one account at a time. Which means content from other regions is actually impossible to play unless the main account's region matches.
Take a look at this:
http://gameavail.wikia.com/wiki/PS_Vita_PSN_Impossible_Trophies_100%_(account_region_based)
That is a list of just different availabilities of digital PS Vita games in Europe, North America, Japan, and Hong Kong.
Besides not being able to play a game if the region isn't "correct", users interested in having a Trophy collection that spans international region games are now left in the dirt.

Besides that, there are many other reasons why this feature is needed. People move. And in different regions (and thus PS Stores), currency is different. Want to buy content using your new credit card in your new region? Make a new account and sacrifice all friends, trophies, purchase/download history, and so on. And on Vita, sacrifice ability to even play the games unless you change to a new region account.

I wouldn't have bothered making this thread if I knew certain Sony people didn't read GAF, especially lately post-E3.
For Sony to truly 100% win me over for PS4, account region switching, and also ideally PSN ID changing as well, needs to come to fruition. Bag on Xbox all you want, but currently any region account on Xbox Live can access all games...and if they can't, just change account region.

Get on twitter, make a hashtag, make a thread promoting the hashtag, wait. profit.

I would like an option to edit my trophy list rather than this actually.

They also need to let people with sub-accounts promote them to master accounts. It's been 7 years, pretty sure most people that were under 18 back when they made their accounts are sick of having to channel in money through the master account just to buy stuff.

Iacobellis

PSN ID changing could be a little backwards now, considering that Sony is moving towards a network based on real names.

-remove games from your trophy list

Games at 0%, yes, that is another feature that Microsoft has had for years now.

Again, bag on Microsoft all you want, but these 3 features are not present with PSN and are pretty important. The first two in my post a tad more than trophy 0%.

I'm with you, man! I want to switch to my JP account and I want to change my stupid, outdated ID.

Yeah, in my (personal) opinion, Japan has the more solid and quality lineup. And now with Vita, we can't access most of it.

But at the same time, I don't want to sacrifice the ability to play the exclusive US and EU stuff.
Region switching will fix this.

And it's a simple fix.
Forget complications of begging devs to port to other regions, which is a huge hassle and complicated, expensive process.
Just let us change the region of the account on-the-fly. Limit us every 3-6 months, WHATEVER.

Touch

PSN ID changes should have been made available a long time ago. Should be there day one for PS+ and, in my opinion, the first one such be on them.

I want to change my PSN ID so bad. I've even tried to make another accounts but I've just sank way too much money into my original account and while I'm not a huge trophy hunter per se, I do have Platinum's in some of my favorite franchise games like RE and FF, and I'd really hate to do that shit again, especially FFXIII.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
On the PS3 you just have a US account and a JP account on the same system, then run content from either.

Region switching isn't even an issue or concern.

PSN ID changes should have been made available a long time ago. Should be there day one for PS+ and, in my opinion, the first one such be on them.

Yes, these are some features that I expected to be on PS+ by now, ever since we heard the first mumblings of a "premium PSN service" in 2009 or 2010.

Almost 4 years later and these are not here.

But with PS4, I have some hopes. It just needs to be raised to attention and stand out among the noise of the usual chatter.

But we're not talking handheld systems, but console systems.

We're talking about PSN. It spans different platforms.
And for your information, there are multiple PS3 titles that are unplayable or trophies impossible if account region is wrong. Only a handful, but the Vita list as you see is huge.
I don't care about people who want to pretend other platforms don't exist because they don't own one.

Then why did you make this thread about the PS4 instead of the Vita?

It's a feature for PSN that I'd like to see addressed now that Sony has their ears open with the launch of PS4.
This digital region issue will still exist on PS4 just as it does on PS Vita and to a lesser extent PS3, unless region switching is made possible.

But it's not a problem on the console implementation of PSN.

Yes it is, besides just the reasons I'm talking about. Read the OP post where I mention people who move to different countries being out of luck as well.
The PS3 has radically different digital libraries across different regions as well.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yes it is, besides just the reasons I'm talking about. Read the OP post where I mention people who move to different countries being out of luck as well.
The PS3 has radically different digital libraries across different regions as well.
I can access all of them simply by having the appropriate account on my system. I don't even need to actually change to that user to access its content, only to purchase.

I can access all of them simply by having the appropriate account on my system. I don't even need to actually change to that user to access its content.

For PS3, there are a variety of games (that you probably don't know about) that are basically unplayable if your account region is wrong. These are mainly some Japan PSN titles.

Nonetheless, whatever you say, this is an issue and I know it. Microsoft allowed the feature in 2012 after mass requests for it after accouns being locked to regions. Now PSN needs to stop that limiation, too and give freedom.

I don't have time to defend it against someone who continually looks for openings in trash a should-be feature because it wouldn't make any difference to their personal play experience.

graywolf323

didn't Giant Bomb ask Rohde about this in their interview? I forget his response though

edit: or maybe it was on Podcast Beyond with Yoshida

RiverBed

Banned
Don't give your users and supporters the finger by holding MP behind a paywall.
Taking features away is not progress, it's called being fucking backwards.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I'm just saying that if you handle regions elegantly to begin with you don't have to constantly switch back and forth.

Don't settle for a quick fix. Do it right.

didn't Giant Bomb ask Rohde about this in their interview? I forget his response though

If you can remember anything about the interview or time period if was published, then please do. I'd be interested in reading an "official" response.

For example, the "official" response to Vita only allowing one account is that it's a "personal device" whereas consoles allow mutliple for family, as per a tweet reply by Yoshida. So it's a fool's errand to continually cross fingers for a PS Vita update that allows multiple region account content to be active at once. What is not a fool's errand, is to vouch for region switching.

Nizz

The first is PSN ID's being able to be changed.
Microsoft has allowed this freedom since 2005 if I recall.

With MS, there is a $10 USD charge to avoid abuse (and get some profit) of course, but that freedom is very liberating --- that you can devote yourself to a Gamertag and if something arises that you don't want that nickname anymore, you can change it at any time.
With Sony...want a new name? Start a whole new friends list, trophy list, purchase/download history, and so on.

I want to change my PSN ID so bad. I've even tried to make another accounts but I've just sank way too much money into my original account and while I'm not a huge trophy hunter per se, I do have Platinum's in some of my favorite franchise games like RE and FF, and I'd really hate to do that shit again, especially FFXIII.
This is one feature I wish Sony allowed. I don't know what the hell I was thinking when I chose my name (lol) but I'd be willing to pay a $10 fee to change my name.

That's why I feel like starting over on PS4 with a username I like better. Just start fresh. But if I had the opportunity to change my name now I'd get PS+ for PS3 now and just migrate to PS4 no problem.

Don't give your users and supporters the finger by holding MP behind a paywall.
Taking features away is not progress, it's called being fucking backwards.

It's called taking advantage of your situation, Sony is a corporation and their main goal is to make money. PS+ ensures customer retention if it is required and is a service that I haven't heard a single person hate who has used it. Maybe if Microsoft hadn't set the bar so high for douchebaggery Sony wouldn't have had the balls to do this.

In response to the OP though I agree, I would love to change my PSN name I have had it forever and it doesn't really reflect me anymore.

Pancho

Qurupancho
PSN ID change would be great...I made my ID while I was in my "obsessed with japan and anime" phase, and I fucking hate my ID so much, I want to change it.

Stillmatic

The second and personally more important, is ability to change account region.
Moved from NZ to Aus 2 years ago and I can't access the Aus store on my account I've had since launch, so frustrating. This is the most important issue for me, hopefully we get an answer soon!

TheHater

I want to be able to promote my sub-account into a master account. How hard is that SONY. I would gladly pay for it too.

graywolf323

If you can remember anything about the interview or time period if was published, then please do. I'd be interested in reading an "official" response.

For example, the "official" response to Vita only allowing one account is that it's a "personal device" whereas consoles allow mutliple for family, as per a tweet reply by Yoshida. So it's a fool's errand to continually cross fingers for a PS Vita update that allows multiple region account content to be active at once. What is not a fool's errand, is to vouch for region switching.

http://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/sony-s-scott-rohde-answers-your-burning-ps4-questi/1600-504/

that's the full interview

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I want to change my PSN ID (and GAF username) so bad.

macewank

PSN tag changes should happen for sure. region switching, however, is such an edge case that i can't see them spending time on it. especially when the content store you get is based on your account and not the console.

PSN tag changes should happen for sure. region switching, however, is such an edge case that i can't see them spending time on it. especially when the content store you get is based on your account and not the console.

How is region switching an edge case?
Changing region actually could easily be done by the user right now, but the functionality is locked. When you create a PSN ID, you input a country/region from the dropdown list.
Then that gives access to that region's PS Store.
It's as simple as giving the user access to that dropdown list again.
Of course, it would be locked behind a 3-6 month limit and/or fee to avoid abuse.

Alchemist

I've never understood why it's only Japanese accounts that are able to change their PSN ID. I made my user back in high school and have wanted to change it for years now.

Just take in how ridiculous things are due game availability being different in different regions
...A JP user (account) cannot play all Uncharted games, becaused the Vita game Fight for Fortune never released outside of US/EU.
...A JP user (account) cannot complete all trophies for all inFamous games, because the PSN game Festival of Blood never released outside of US/EU.
...A US user (account) can't even play dozens and dozens and dozens of JP Vita games due to one account lock.

I LOVE Uncharted and inFamous (I kept thinking of this limitation when seeing inFamous SS @ E3), yet as a whole love the JP selection. Yet I also love a lot of the digital US/EU PSN offerings, too.
So what does someone like me do? Someone who wants ONE unified PSN ID to enjoy PSN with and catelogue ALL my game history (trophies)? With the system now, sacrifices need to be made and that's stupid. I want to fully enjoy the PSN platform's libraries.

And here I am, MY personal story for wanting this to happen. As we see with replies here and around the net, there are many different reasons people want region switching.

I've never understood why it's only Japanese accounts that are able to change their PSN ID. I made my user back in high school and have wanted to change it for years now.

They aren't able to change ID. Nobody is.
The JP thing is a myth constructed by Westerners who don't understand what is actually happening. What is actually happening is JP users are able to make "nicknames" for themselves. It works kind of like Wii U Nintendo Network ID's, one is a change-able display name and the other (PSN ID) is a locked, unique ID. The reason for this was to allow Japanese characters in the name, since PSN ID's can only have ABC letters.

Top Bottom