• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One is 8x...no, 10x/40x w/cloud...wait, its 3x more power than the 360! Maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Here's a simple question: just how much more powerful is the Xbox One compared to the Xbox 360? Let's ask MS!

From the Wired reveal with the exclusive first look at the XB1:

Quantifying graphical performance is notoriously squishy. That being said, Microsoft touts the Xbox One as delivering 8 times the graphic performance of the 360. If you were to go by raw transistor count, that performance jump would be closer to tenfold: the Xbox One boasts 5 billion to the 360’s 500 million. More concretely, those paltry 512 MB of memory have been boosted to 8 GB.

Eight times the power. Kaboom.

Not so fast, Xbox Australia says. It's actually 10x more powerful than the 360, and that's before you count cloud computing.

When asked if Xbox Australia had anything specific to add for gamers in this country, Pollington said, “We don’t have any specific Australian announcements to make, but one thing that I do think is particularly exciting for customers of the Xbox One in general, and also to Australians, is the power of the cloud. We touched on it briefly in our press conference, and I think it’s a really important point and a key differenciator for Xbox One. Essentially, no longer are we constrained to the processing power of Xbox One in terms of hardware; we’re able to do a lot of processing that was traditionally done on the box, in the cloud.

“It’s also been stated that the Xbox One is ten times more powerful than the Xbox 360, so we’re effectively 40 times greater than the Xbox 360 in terms of processing capabilities [using the cloud]. If you look to the cloud as something that is no doubt going to evolve and grow over time, it really spells out that there’s no limit to where the processing power of Xbox One can go. I think that’s a very exciting proposition, not only for Australians, but anyone else who’s going to pick up the Xbox One console.”

So there's that: 10x offline, 40x online in a sense.

Until today! Phil Spencer had this to say during a live demo of Forza on Jimmy Fallon:

Fallon: Could [Forza 5] ever have been made for the Xbox 360?
Spencer: Absolutely not. Xbox One is three times the power of what the Xbox 360 was. You've got incredible graphics, incredible physics, incredible sound...

So there ya go: Xbox One is 3x the power of the Xbox 360.

I am the confused.

edit: I apologize in advance if this turns into a thread about this being evidence of the downclock rumor. I just thought this was funny...not evidence of anything...gah. Requestin' for lockage.

Sethos

Banned
tumblr_lntvorzoyl1qm8hnuwy.gif

Cipherr

Here's a simple question

Is it really though? Im not convinced that it is. There is an absolute shitload of variables. Im not sure its really as easy as just "4 times more powa exactly!!!11".

I say that as someone who wouldn't buy a XBone with YOUR money, let alone my own.

nib95

Banned
Lol, if the 1.2TF figure is still accurate, realistically it should be about 5-6x more powerful. If the console has had a down clock to 800-900Gflops as rumoured, then it would be 3-4x.

Do we know PS4 specs to an exact enough degree to say how much more powerful it is than X360? In any event it's going to be a ballpark. I think part of this differing messaging (besides Microsoft just bullshitting at every avenue) is that maybe MS hasn't even decided on the final specs of the damn thing, if the rumors are any indication.

JordanN

Banned
Meh, it does 1080p, has DirectX 11 capabilities and uses 8 core CPU's.

The BS multiplier is just so it can be understood in laymans terms i.e, it's not a Xbox 360, and it's no where close to being a Xbox 360.

demolitio

Another example of the importance of getting your propaganda speakers all on the same page. It just makes it that much worse when they can't even settle on the bullshit number further proving it's all hyperbole.

Does it help you out in SOME ways? Sure. Does it give you some actual statistical performance boost in overall power? No...

Foxix Von

Lol, if the 1.2TF figure is still accurate, realistically it should be about 5-6x more powerful. If the console has had a down clock to 800-900Gflops as rumoured, then it would be 3-4x.

Which matches up with the most recent Fallon statement which, I can only hope is not true. This is very, very disconcerting

ReaperXL7

Wow, Phil can really spin that shit huh? I like how he implies that with the Xbone you dont need your cable box anymore, I wonder how many people will toss their cable box when they purchase an Xbone thinking they don need it because its not the "all in one" box that MS says it is. I also like how he references the cloud magic, but does not say that you gotta stay connected for it to work.

This is just the beginning of MS strategy though, im sure Ellen, and Oprah specials are coming soon.

Rhindle

Give me a break with the stupid thread topics.

These X times more powerful comparisons are inherently moronic.

And the Phil Spencer comment on Fallon was obviously a screw up.

Steroyd

You'd almost think 'x times the power' is a meaningless metric or something.

It is, but the only way you're going to simplify sending a message of why people should upgrade from Xbox 360 to X1 initially is use DBZ power levels, plus this highlights even more inconsistant messaging, they're going to be a mess come launch date at this rate.

B.O.O.M

lol dat cloud multiplier

I cringed a bit when he said 'power of the cloud' at the show. it really is the new Cell

Say what you want, it's pretty bad they cant get on the same page on something so simple.

Also if true this means the gpu has indeed been downclocked and everything we have seen thus far is probably the best we will ever see those game on Xbone. But that's jumping to conclusions, or is it.....let's ask Microsoft.

MormaPope

Banned
Nintendo should pay Microsoft for this Cloud computing technology, with the power of the Cloud the Wii-U might have 20x the power of the 360.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Give me a break with the stupid thread topics.

These X times more powerful comments are inherently moronic.

And the Phil Spencer comment on Fallon was obviously a screw up.

He seemed pretty sure of what he was saying.

I just thought it was funny, jeez.

So is this potentially information adding evidence to the notion of an Xbox One down clock?

I uh, probably wouldn't go that far.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
So is this potentially information adding evidence to the notion of an Xbox One down clock?

Phil Spencer saying it is 3 times 360 is not helping the rumours regarding the downclock, most certainly. In fact, it almost perfectly jives with the rumours 300gflop to 400 gflop loss of performance.

ReaperXL7

Say what you want, it's pretty bad they cant get on the same page on something so simple.

Also if true this means the gpu has indeed been downclocked and everything we have seen thus far is probably the best we will ever see those game on Xbone. But that's jumping to conclusions, or is it.....let's ask Microsoft.

Cloud Magic will always be your answer from Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom