• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Cerny hopes PlayStation's legacy can match Nintendo's

"He runs a developer there and he's worked with both Sony Computer Entertainment and Nintendo over the years, and he says that what he respects the most about Nintendo is the incredible continuity they have in the form of a core group of individuals that has now worked together for over 30 years.

"Well, we on the PlayStation side of the business have only about 20 years together now, but I'm really looking forward to the next decade or two with Shu [Yoshida], Andy [House] and the other amazing talents of Sony Computer Entertainment, and I think by the end of it we'll even have my friend in Kyoto telling everyone how our values - held strongly over a great period of time - had such an influence over the world of games."

"The three musketeers are back," he said, referring to the way Sony Computer Entertainment had appointed his colleagues Andrew House and Yoshida to senior positions in recent years, while allowing him to develop the PS4 itself.

"One of the small results of that - but huge for me - was that it provided a further boost to the engagement... the policies of engagement with game developers around the world."

That nucleus of "amazing" personnel, he said, is what he hopes will lead people to compare Sony's impact to Nintendo's in decades to come.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...hopes-playstations-legacy-can-match-nintendos

i304u2R.jpg

Silky

Banned
Sony's been chasing that dream since the PS1.

It's a nice dream, and hell we got some pretty good games out of it for this long.

I think Nintendos spot is unique thanks to rebuilding the industry post crash, and having the market to themselves in the 80s, but Sony will probably be viewed favorably

Sony's already impacted the industry just as much as Nintendo IMO. Granted, Nintendo has the loveable iconic characters to go with their image.

Either way, Sony + Nintendo = great gaming, wouldn't have it any other way.

Garryk

I really don't think 20 years from now people are going to be nostalgic about Kratos and Nathan Drake like they are Mario and Donkey Kong.

LeleSocho

Banned
First they have to build good first party studios, Naughty Dog only cannot be enough.
Edit: I totally misinterpreted the topic, my bad.

Lunar15

People are just going to tear this comment down into console war bullshit, but honestly, this is a good attitude to have. He's essentially saying that the playstation brand needs consistency in good talent.

DaBoss

Sony's already impacted the industry just as much as Nintendo IMO. Granted, Nintendo has the loveable iconic characters to go with their image.

Either way, Sony + Nintendo = great gaming, wouldn't have it any other way.

I don't know if I would equate the two. The PlayStation did do two major things which is to make the industry more thrid-party oriented and use a loss-leader strategy.

Nintendo had to "revive" gaming consoles and stuff and pioneered 3D gaming with the N64. I don't really think any company can really match their legacy because they laid the groundwork for many things.

Yeah, seriously. Just want Microsoft to leave... pls.

OK there buddy...

miksar

Sony is already greater than Nintendo. Cerny is a more important figure for the industry than Miyamoto and Yokoi. PS2 is the best console ever, PS4 is going to be the best console ever. Games like The Last of Us are among the best and most influential video games.

StuBurns

Banned
He just meant he hopes the stability of Nintendo will be something people can say about PlayStation. Basically he's saying he intends to stay and run core development for the next ten years.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Sony is already greater than Nintendo. Cerny is a more important figure for the industry than Miyamoto and Yokoi. PS2 is the best console ever, PS4 is going to be the best console ever. Games like The Last of Us are among the best and most influential video games.

Yeah, no...

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
They've already done it, hardware-wise.
Software, eh. Crash and Spyro had that more mileage in them.

Please give me jak IV :(

ReconPeon

Bahaha

squid

I can't tell if you're serious or being sarcastic... Nah, has to be sarcasm.

watershed

Banned

This is deadpan comedy right?

Top Bottom