• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jay-Z's Magna Carta Holy Grail |OT| Can't Be As Bad As Kingdom Come or BP3

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

inAuTs7oExVwG.png

iqd2yapF2n9Sy.png

iSAhD8BSOp72O.png
jYReFJKxvvSdF.png
ils1uLtER8llK.png
iQDbNXgmro7Wj.png
jbci5lMfvKSkoZ.png
iqjpWbJzrqcjL.png
iJTOwnOikn9mj.png
jvIbj99Gxv9SB.png
j93iDdd1WBlGj.png
jZrHweG7bzK4n.png
jG7kklKsAmMKu.png
jb1xZZx17QzMv0.png
jbiB02fsy3bT6H.png
jbxBBDxlcBGvws.png
jnXUvxJPJEGN7.png
jbuMEl2d0JW3Za.png
jovB68hhCjfxs.png

jmB8QRmhZ8ODr.png
jbp0E77rkGm1XW.png

jby20ltVPvAvp6.png

iMtpnVr1tnElz.png

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
10. "BBC" (featuring Nas, Justin Timberlake, Beyoncé, Swizz Beatz, Pharrell and Timbaland)

how long will this song be?

Brinbe

I just got into rap, hip hop and so on, like a few months ago (never gave the whole genre a lot of time or attention for various reasons) and the only Jay-Z album that I like is his first one. A lot. Also, I really fucking dislike every single other one.

In fact, every single thing rap that I enjoy is located in that tiny spot of the early-mid 90s. The closer I get to 1999, the more I just can't stand it.

Which means that I will probably really dislike this one. Oh, well.
The blueprint, black album and American Gangster are all excellent. and he's got at least a few nice tracks on every one of his albums, so your loss I suppose.

And I think even he acknowledged that kc was disappointing

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It's not bad for a poppy Jay album. Not one of his best, to be sure, but it's pretty good. Same with Kingdom Come, but that was in his bottom half easily.
Yep.

BP3 is great as long as you don't go into it expecting come up raps, because he's in a different space. Probably the best and most consistent production overall since the Black Album too.

Great OP, BTW.

TheOddOne

It's probably more of a matter of production/scope. I don't wanna derail this thread, but what I liked was the more old school samples, mostly coming from funk and/or soul. At some point, everything becomes super mega bombastic and way too produced for my taste.

But it's fine, though. In the process I've grown to appreciate the genre way more. It's just that the only thing I like from this guy is Reasonable Doubt. And maybe five tracks in total from a few of his following albums.
Blueprint and AG are pretty much what you are looking for. Especially Blueprint, which uses a lot of soul samples.

f0rk

Seems like endemic to the whole industry, because I also tried to listen to some Kanye West stuff having absolutely no idea of what I was getting into only to be greeted by some übercompressed digitized orchestra shit and some voices autotuned so much that they would even get Cher flustered.

But this is coming from a total outsider! Don't mind me. And if everybody more or less goes in the same direction that means they are doing something right for the hundreds of thousands of people who are really into that.

Just to give you an idea of how stupidly out of the loop I am, my current top 3 hip hop tracks are (just off my mind) dead presidents ii, gimme the loot and can't knock the hustle.

Maybe THA SHIZNIT if you catch me in the right mood.

But I'll give it a cursory listen, why not. And will go back to those two albums since you mentioned them. Maybe something else sticks!
Stuck in the 90's after two months lol
You should try listening to Kanye again from the beginning, you might like the first two albums at least. Unfortunately for you be chose to try different things rather than make the same album again and again

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Eh, I'm down.

Oh and Cam's career has seemed to devolve to making shitty 'dis' tracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom