• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Q2 2013 Rap-Up: The Battle Between Yeezus & Evil

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

hSsYt.png

Albums Over $1

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Freddie Gibbs has all of the potential in the world, gifted with a deep voice and an ear for melody akin to greats like Tupac and Bone Thugs, but his seeming affinity for struggling and living by a hood mantra are both his biggest inspiration and curse. He's raw and he's self-sabotaging (I mean listen to some of the features), but maybe that's what makes him so alluring.

Sample Song
Needledrop Review
Sounds Like – Kanye at his most pretentious and nihilistic, whose aggression is one-upped by genre mashing industrial trap music

Sample Song
Needledrop Review
Sounds Like –Ghostface Killah doing his traditional boom-bap thing with less of the non-sequitur free fire shit that he brought to classics like Supreme Clientele and Fischscale, and more like the really OG GFK that Wu-Tang fans came to love. The production from composer Adrian Younge features arguably some of the finest soul samples you'd ever wish to hear, though they don't exactly mesh as well as the Apollo Brown remix joint IMO. Both are great albums in their own right.

Sample Song
Needledrop Review
Sounds Like It's amazing just how many sounds Young Fathers packs into a 25-minute album, and just how effortlessly they switch from singing to rapping. Tape Two might be the least traditionally hip-hop album on Q2, which is saying something, but if I had to describe their sound I'd call it a marriage of dark chillwave and introspective hip-hop.

Sample Song
Needledrop Review
Sounds Like- It's mostly a traditional boom-bap affair, but what makes this album special is the lyricist. R.A.'s hunger is self-evident as he utters his first breath. He might be the most fiery tongued tin-foil rapper left.

Sample Song
Needledrop Review
Sounds Like – A compilation of b-sides and unreleased material from Madlib's high-pitched rapping alter ego Lord Quas. It's funky soulful boom-bap with hilarious lines and poetical reflections on the zeitgeist

Sample Song
Sounds Like – A boom-bap compilation album of sorts that meshes an inspired multifaceted producer with a myriad of rappers both of the gangsta and backpack variety

Sample Song
Sounds like - Bad Boy adds a retail album sheen to French's brand of wavy trap music, without sobering up the formula too much, as the allure of French's style is akin to the allure of drunk punk.

Sample Song
Needledrop Review
Sounds like - Former nonchalant "frat-boy rap" king tries his hand at introspection within a trippy abstract context and some clever non-sequitur.

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Deniro slows the pace down a bit and makes an album full of slow, wavy darkness, and somehow gets even more introspective and personal yet the lack of varied tempos really hurts the album overall. However, his deep southern drawl and solemn delivery still proves quite effective.
H.M.

Sample Song
Sounds Like – "The record is an unapologetic homage to old school hip-hop in its bare-bones production, lyrical themes, cover art and even the title." -Stones Throw

[*]Daz Dillinger/WC's West Coast Gangsta Shit & Rob Sonic's Alice in Thunderdome would have been very high up, but they have not been officially released as of yet

HiResDes

$1 or Less Albums

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Sweltering steam punk rap with abrasive electronic production and bullet-time raps.

Sample Song
Needledrop Review
Sounds Like – KRIT finds the perfect middle-ground between his bombastic southern trunk music style and his more self conscious and self-aware groove, creating a mixtape with greater depth than most modern rap albums.
[URL=http://imgur.com/1wpj2V5][/URL]
Sample Song
Needledrop Review
Sounds Like – Kismet is a hard album to describe, it's both highly spiritual and completely filthy at the same time; I guess much like the earth's soil. It's a self-loathing ride into cosmia with a dirty hooker giving road-head. It reminds me of this poster from the late 70s my uncle had with different sexual positions depicting each of the twelve astrological signs

Sample Song
Sounds Like – A high pitched raspy rapid-fire spittter coupled with chilly soulful production and a somewhat trippy, quirky charisma. I should also mention his ear for melody and timing is excellent.

Sample Song
Sounds like - A new breed of mafioso gangsta rap, violent metaphors and allegories coupled with a contemporary swag. Oh and the beats also bring a modern freshness to the somewhat tired boom-bap formula.

Sample Song
Sounds Like- One of the most highly experimental and off-kilter rappers I've heard, but his talent is also pretty much unparalleled. He possesses near limitless breath control, an ability to easily weave intricate rhyme patterns together, and a knack for making his sparse electronic production work. Only the open-minded should bother.

Sample Song
Sounds Like – The mixtape is entitled LSD, and I couldn't think of a more apt name. This is a highly drug-induced trainwreck of a mixtape with a relentless tempo, and a strict focus on braggadocio. Don't play this if you're trying to chill.

Sample Song
Sounds like - Kool A.D. raps in such a nonchalant manner that it almost borders on being spoken-word, yet his wit and spot-on troll commentary is more than amusing enough to make up for it. Oh and the beats sound like the chilled out 90s soulful shit

Sample Song
Needledrop Review
Sounds Like – Dark swagged out castle rap featuring a young southern rapper who isn't afraid to get a bit experimental and flirt with other genres

Sample Song
Sounds Like –Pretty much the perfect summer album for the whip and like pool parties, just a fun ride with great beats and that bay-area swag.

Sample Song
Sounds Like – Genre-mashing production featuring samples from various indie/classic rock artists and some electronic stuff as well. Nike Nando is also as hungry as ever, he's a hybrid backpack/swag rapper with a lot of spunk.

Sample Song
Sounds Like –Southern soul-trap featuring a raspy-tongued rapper/producer who at times sounds as tormented by his actions as a preacher turned hustler

Sample Song
Sounds Like – No nonsense southern struggle music with DJ Burn One's brand of lush atmospheric soultrap as the backdrop

Sample Song
Sounds Like –Very much like the Kilt 2 this is great summer music, a bit slower in tempo, yet just as bumpable during them summer BBqs.

Sample Song
Sounds Like –Fantastic new-school gangsta rap with fantastic beats and incredible features, yet Joey doesn't always stand out enough the songs to distinguish himself individually.

Double D

Again read the thread lol. There's another list he is making with free mixtapes/albums. Trust me knowing him it will make it

Right on. Just didn't know this would be part of the Mixtape list. Sorry for thread shitting! I'll stop now!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I've always been on the fence with Kanye, but Yeezus is my shit. As a a big fan of both hip hop and electronic music, it's right up my alley. Grips did it better, but it's a fresh sound either way.

Indicud was the other notable release of Q2 for me. Outside of a few tracks, it's a pretty big disappointment. Generally poor songwriting and way too much of Cudi's moany "singing" that got old by the first 30 seconds of WZRD. I won't write him off yet but I feel like Cudi needs to take a couple years off and reboot his shit.

I haven't delved into much other retail shit. I tried listening to the J. Cole and Wale album but nothing about them grabs me at all.

I need to catch up with a few tapes but Trap House 3 was pretty dope.

HiResDes

I've always been on the fence with Kanye, but Yeezus is my shit. As a a big fan of both hip hop and electronic music, it's right up my alley. Grips did it better, but it's a fresh sound either way.

Indicud was the other notable release of Q2 for me. Outside of a few tracks, it's a pretty big disappointment. Generally poor songwriting and way too much of Cudi's moany "singing" that got old by the first 30 seconds of WZRD. I won't write him off yet but I feel like Cudi needs to take a couple years off and reboot his shit.

I haven't delved into much other retail shit. I tried listening to the J. Cole and Wale album but nothing about them grabs me at all.

I need to catch up with a few tapes but Trap House 3 was pretty dope.
I think you would like the French Montana and Deniro Farrar releases, especially his older stuff.

...I also love like four tracks off of Indicud.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
needledrop....
I watch his reviews but personally I wouldn't elevate them enough to put them under the albums.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
How does yeezus sound like Kanye at his most pretentious when the album itself doesn't appeal to anyone but Stans and niche audiences?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So I guess I should finally check out something from Freddie Gibbs huh. Where to start? BFK or straight into EGSN?

My backlog cries.

see5harp

I must say I think the Mac Miller is my favorite rap album of the year so far. I really dislike the track with Tyler but most of the album is really quite good. Even the slower sappy songs somehow are diggin their way into my brain (that West Virginia shit with the "how could he die? he was part lion"). Production is quite good.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm enjoying that Mac Miller album right now. I've only heard him on features so I didn't know what to expect, but I like the laid back flow. Good shit for BG music at work.

Rap people tell me what is the one rap album i should listen to right now outside of Yeezus and the new killer mike/el-p thing.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Rap people tell me what is the one rap album i should listen to right now outside of Yeezus and the new killer mike/el-p thing.

Isn't that what this thread is for? Des has the last few months pretty much covered, at least he will once he posts the tapes. Outside of his lists, maybe check out the new J. Cole. It's alright. Like a bowl of plain oatmeal, flavorless but satisfying.

Isn't that what this thread is for? Des has the last few months pretty much covered, at least he will once he posts the tapes. Outside of his lists, maybe check out the new J. Cole. It's alright. Like a bowl of plain oatmeal, flavorless but satisfying.

nope, give me The One album. I only have room for one more hip hop album in my life and i must be told the correct one. IT IS VITAL.

CRS

nope, give me The One album. I only have room for one more hip hop album in my life and i must be told the correct one. IT IS VITAL.

If you don't mind me asking, why only one?

It won't hurt your soul if you listen to more than three.

ESGN could've been even better without most of the features, but it's still a great album, and I'd put it at the top of the retail quarter as well. Gibbs displays all of his flows, and the production bangs.

Now to check out whatever I've missed.

CRS

Don't listen to J. Cole. Mediocre album.

Also, HiRes, you forgot HARK! but that's the stan talking.

CRS

That's right, my mistake. Can't believe it's been that long since it came out.

Fuck... it's July already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom