• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Rewards will continue to exist

Lima

So I just got this email from XBL rewards. They couldn't put my 240 points on my account because I'm in the beta.

Interesting information was this though.

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT:
As you may have heard from the announcements at E3, major changes are coming to Xbox Live. One of these changes is the switch to local currency for purchases on Xbox. That means Microsoft Points will soon be retired and you’ll instead be able to use money to purchase content on Xbox (see Xbox.com Points FAQ for more info).

With all these changes, it’s become necessary for us to evolve the way we reward you. Starting August 1, 2013, you will not be able to earn Microsoft Points through Xbox Live Rewards any longer. Not to worry, though! Since this currency change is impacting the structure of the program, we’re taking the opportunity to make Xbox Live Rewards even better. You’ll continue to get rewarded for doing the things you love on Xbox Live – just not with Microsoft Points. So come back to rewards.xbox.com on September 1, 2013 for the full scoop. You can also follow us at @XboxLiveRewards on Twitter for the latest updates.

Finally, despite the Microsoft Points changes, all your hard work will not go to waste. On August 7, 2013 we’ll deposit ALL your Pending Rewards Points into your account, even if you have less than 100. And if you still have Points in your Xbox account when Microsoft Points are retired, they’ll be transitioned into your country’s local currency. Your currency will be available for use at the Xbox Stores as usual. For more on the Points transition, see Xbox.com Points FAQ here.

Questions? See our FAQs for more information.

Basically starting August 1st they will no longer reward MS points. They will use the real currency transition to think of new rewards. More information on the new rewards will be available on September 1st on rewards.xbox.com.

Any pending points you have by August 7th will be deposited in your account, even if you have less than 100 points.

If you are in the beta and still have points pending, they will be converted to real currency and that money will be deposited in your account.

All this information seems to confirm that the new dashboard will hit August 13th.

Grecco

WOW so no 80 msp for my birthday anymore? THANKS MICROSOFT!

In all seriousness this sucks. I was able to get a decent amount of msp doing surveys and what nots. No wonder there wasnt a survey this month. Blegh.

Krilekk

Banned

In all seriousness this sucks. I was able to get a decent amount of msp doing surveys and what nots. No wonder there wasnt a survey this month. Blegh.

20 points. I guess they won't give out money instead, more likely avatar awards or clothes.

It was 20 MSP

Edit: Dammit

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Whatever would I do without the 20MSP they give me every year for my birthday! LOL

Edit* what is 20MSP in real money? Like 10 cents?

Jawmuncher

Rewards needs a total overhaul.
Honestly its one time MS needs to just copy Nintendo. They have a great reward system.

Fox Mulder

I still haven't spent the 20 points they sent for my birthday.

The xbl rewards is such a shitty system. I've received far more points from spamming Bing rewards that I ever got for playing the shit out of the Xbox and buying tons of stuff of Live.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The word rewards in the thread title should have quotation marks around it:

Xbox Live "Rewards" will continue to exist

Thomper

Wait, did you mean 'cease' to exist? Because the text in your first post seems to say it will stop existing, but that's not what the title says.

Lima

Wait, did you mean 'cease' to exist? Because the text in your first post seems to say it will stop existing, but that's not what the title says.

No. They will just stop giving out MS points as rewards. The Xbox Live Rewards program will continue.

The word rewards in the thread title should have quotation marks around it:

Xbox Live "Rewards" will continue to exist

Why? They are not killing of the program.

Doodis

Official statement on the Rewards Page:

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT:
As you may have heard from the announcements at E3, major changes are coming to Xbox Live. One of these changes is the switch to local currency for purchases on Xbox. That means Microsoft Points will soon be retired and you’ll instead be able to use money to purchase content on Xbox (see Xbox.com Points FAQ for more info).

With all these changes, it’s become necessary for us to evolve the way we reward you. Starting August 1, 2013, you will not be able to earn Microsoft Points through Xbox Live Rewards any longer. Not to worry, though! Since this currency change is impacting the structure of the program, we’re taking the opportunity to make Xbox Live Rewards even better. You’ll continue to get rewarded for doing the things you love on Xbox Live – just not with Microsoft Points. So come back to rewards.xbox.com on September 1, 2013 for the full scoop. You can also follow us at @XboxLiveRewards on Twitter for the latest updates.

Finally, despite the Microsoft Points changes, all your hard work will not go to waste. On August 7, 2013 we’ll deposit ALL your Pending Rewards Points into your account, even if you have less than 100. And if you still have Points in your Xbox account when Microsoft Points are retired, they’ll be transitioned into your country’s local currency. Your currency will be available for use at the Xbox Stores as usual. For more on the Points transition, see Xbox.com Points FAQ here.

Questions? See our FAQs for more information.

Yay I guess?

Apparently I've received 490 points in rewards over the past two years, so I guess that's something... I think.

MS should revamp its rewards system. Nintendo has much better rewards IMO, it makes MS's look like a joke.

lucius

I never got much from this, but Bing rewards I always picked up MS Points and would end up buying more games on Live than I intended to so I hope Bing Rewards still offer something to redeem for Live stuff.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Lame. Points through the program were given in a trickle, but in the long-term it was a decent return for mostly just doing a quick survey once a month. I've gotten $25 worth of MSP from the program just doing that and resubbing to gold whenever it came up, which turned into 2 or 3 free XBLA games over the run. Ain't much, but it definitely beats the free avatar parachute pants we're gonna end up getting as a replacement.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
It was nice to get a free boost of points monthly, from the 2% rebate. Sure that doesn't sound like much, but getting 60 pts here, 80 pts there really helped to get the little bit needed for quite a few DLCs, or some "free" XBLIG.

Between the points and rebates, I've gotten $44.50 from XBL Rewards, not to mention the money from Bing search, which is almost double that. $100+ of game purchases from rebates, simple surveys, and using a search engine, not to mention all the sales on MSpoints and stuff over the years...

With Avatar Items and Points disappearing on the way to XB1, along with no access to the old game library, I wonder what kind of things they can actually give away now? I'd love it if they started to give away straight, set value game vouchers (rather than how PSN gives specific games), but somehow I doubt this will happen.

Basically starting August 1st they will no longer reward MS points. They will use the real currency transition to think of new rewards. More information on the new rewards will be available on September 1st on rewards.xbox.com.

Where the hell does it say that?
you’ll continue to get rewarded for doing the things you love on Xbox Live – just not with Microsoft Points

Points might be replaced with avatar clothing codes maybe or maybe Xbox gamerpics?

Megatron

And if you still have Points in your Xbox account when Microsoft Points are retired, they’ll be transitioned into your country’s local currency.

This is a bit of an about face from what we heard before right? Before they said if you didn't spend them within a year you would lose them?

Lima

This is a bit of an about face from what we heard before right? Before they said if you didn't spend them within a year you would lose them?

That is just for the points in your rewards account.

This is the latest information straight from their FAQ, you almost have two years.

The currency we add to your account at the time of the transition will expire on June 1, 2015. However, the currency you purchase and add to your account after the transition will not expire.

Lunchbox

Banned
wow no more free bing points for free money

The people who complained about MS points like, hope you enjoyed ruining a everything.

Lima

Lol! Yeah, they obviously need to go back to the drawing board to come up with something else for the rewards system.

With real currency being used now, people can easily see how stupid $.25 looks.

Not only that but since MS doesn't use a wallet system you can't even purchase shit with those cents.

sunnz

I remember being rewarded like 100 points for spending over 1000 points.

Hope it is actual money and not avatar items.

Bh0SHVJ.png

but...

zDuW0cb.png

I've earned 1120 MP to date, haven't seen a single one. Still have 41 from years ago. Can someone explain this to me?

EDIT: Also, just got 20MP for my birthday! SO JACKED YEA!!!!
EDIT 2: My birthday is in September btw...

Orca

I have some pending, but it says there's a problem putting them to my account. I wonder if it's the dashboard beta and the conversion to real currency that's to blame.

Lima

I have some pending, but it says there's a problem putting them to my account. I wonder if it's the dashboard beta and the conversion to real currency that's to blame.

Are you in the beta? If so yeah that is the problem.

Top Bottom