• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters: 20th Anniversary game in development next year?

Silky

Banned
Source: http://cyberfanatix.com/forums/index.php/topic,2602.0/topicseen.html

- According to next.rikunabi.com the next KOF is coming next year to celebrate the 20th Anniversary of the game.

- Many overseas staffs from America, France, South Korea, and China also participated in the project.

- 3D Technology will be used instead of 2D Sprites to create the Next-Generation of KOF.

- The developers are working very hard about how they will represent the 2D image in 3D !!

- The game seems is planned for PS3 and XBOX 360.

There's some supposed pictures of the dev team and the like. This /could/ be fake, but SNK has had a listing for new developers of a 3D title.

If anyone can identify the people in those pictures, it'd be appreciated.

BadWolf

SNK did place ads in various places like Famitsu where it was hiring 25 devs with 3D experience for PS360 to make the next KOF and Samurai Shodown.

Would be very sad to see the beautiful new 2D sprites go.

Silky

Banned
SNK did place ads in various places like Famitsu where it was hiring 25 devs with 3D experience for PS360 to make the next KOF and Samurai Shodown.

KOFXIII weren't sprites. I think they were polygons designed to look like sprites.

Just another example of all the other devs stealing from SNK's idea gumbo. :mad:

KOF12 is the worst dream match , it also one of the worst KOF games ever .

Nope. Maxmimum Impact holds that title.

Truth is i don't mind if 2D sprites go if every new 2D fighting look like the new GG.

Well i did say one of the worst lol

KOFXIII weren't sprites. I think they were polygons designed to look like sprites.

Just another example of all the other devs stealing from SNK's idea gumbo. :mad:

Hybrid sprite/cg. They made CG models and then took key frames and turned those into sprites.

GooeyHeat

If by 3D, they mean "let's do what ArcSys is doing", then I say go for it.
If by 3D, they mean "let's do what Capcom is doing", then I'll wait and see.
If by 3D, they mean "let's make another Maximum Impact", then fuck that bullshit.

But if it comes out next year, they'd better name it King of Fighters 14. Trust me on that one.

Road

One vote for GG Xrd style. One puke for SF4 style.

PS3/360 means they wont bother improving the net code.

Well, they're explicitly hiring people for netcode:

■ネットワークシステムに関わる業務
・PS3及びXBOX360向け格闘ゲームで使用するネットワークライブラリの作成

■ネットワーク関連業務経験者
・C/C++、プロトコル通信
(TCP/UDPを用いてのリアルタイム通信のコードがかける方)

This probably means they have no idea what to do with it

BadWolf

KoF XIII is beautiful, why change the visual style.

Because it is very expensive and time consuming.

If they make a successful switch to 2.5D then it would easier and faster for them to make games moving forward.

They are revamping the main line series so I expect them to put in a lot of effort, it won't be a side project like Maximum Impact.

Going by XIII its pretty clear that SNK is still capable of making beautiful games.

Tripon

KOFXIII were sprites. What SNK-Playmore did was create 3D models to help frame potential characters and then did the sprite artwork. Took a lot of time and effort to just create one character, but that is why that game is so beautiful.

Jarnet87
KoF XIII is beautiful, why change the visual style.

Because it literally takes them a long time to make it, and SNK-Playmore doesn't have the time or budget to do that again. Its why KOF XII plays like a bad buggy beta of KOFXIII. Because that's what it is.

If by 3D, they mean "let's make another Maximum Impact", then fuck that bullshit.

But if it comes out next year, they'd better name it King of Fighters 14. Trust me on that one.

I really don't understand the difference between the last two. Unless you refer to MI as having a bland, undistinguished look with horrible Falcoon character designs and way overdone sexual fanservice than I'd agree totally. As an overall package though, MI was pretty awesome.

ZenTzen

Why SNK, at this point they are a one trick pony, wheres GAROU: MARK OF THE WOLVES 2, wheres the next Samurai Shodown, a new Last Blade

And seriously, I hope the graphics are similar to what ASW is doing with GGXrd, but of course with SNK artstyle

maomaoIYP

I really miss the golden age of SNK where they put out really good games like the later installments in the Fatal Fury series, The Last Blade games, Samurai Showdown 4 and the earlier KOF games, especially 98.

Why SNK, at this point they are a one trick pony, wheres GAROU: MARK OF THE WOLVES 2, wheres the next Samurai Shodown, a new Last Blade

And seriously, I hope the graphics are similar to what ASW is doing with GGXrd, but of course with SNK artstyle

They don't have the money for that.

wheres GAROU: MARK OF THE WOLVES 2

Going by what SNK Playmore's been doing the last few years, it'd probably be a pachinko machine of some sort. :p

Hell, they already made a Fatal Fury/Garou Densetsu pachinko-slot machine a few years ago...

Anyway, I'm hoping to get some real info on the next game soon. SNK hasn't done anything since the King of Fighters XIII came out. :/

I really don't understand the difference between the last two. Unless you refer to MI as having a bland, undistinguished look with horrible Falcoon character designs and way overdone sexual fanservice than I'd agree totally. As an overall package though, MI was pretty awesome.

I thought the first game was okay, but I really liked the second game. So much crazy fanservice in there, like guest characters, costumes inspired by other characters, Metal Slug tank minigame, and the Neo Geo Land stage with music from other games in it. Awesome stuff. It was pretty fun, too. Not the best King of Fighters game, though.

ZenTzen

They don't have the money for that.

but they have money for this, its no excuse, i want SNK to be great again, not shoving the same IP every few years

Going by what SNK Playmore's been doing the last few years, it'd probably be a pachinko machine of some sort. :p

Hell, they already made a Fatal Fury/Garou Densetsu pachinko-slot machine a few years ago...

Anyway, I'm hoping to get some real info on the next game soon. SNK hasn't done anything since the King of Fighters XIII came out. :/
yeah but that Fatal Fury pachinko was just a retelling of the first FF games, i'm waiting to ear some info as well, but i'd rather they did something other than KOF

Sinople

There's some supposed pictures of the dev team and the like. This /could/ be fake, but SNK has had a listing for new developers of a 3D title.

Pictures are legit.

impact

Banned
Whatever it is, they need to use GGPO. KoF13 is a completely worthless game to me because of the netcode regardless of how much it absolutely shits on any fighting game Capcom has made since 3s. Tell them plz fersis

but they have money for this, its no excuse, i want SNK to be great again, not shoving the same IP every few years

KOF is there biggest series and the one that would get the most hype\ sales
Hell i am a fan of MOW fan but the cast so small and even some FF fans don't care about it since it missing so many characters .
LB and SS even less people care about that .

GooeyHeat

But Arc stole it's 3D polygon sprites from SNK. ;_;?
Blazblue, Persona 4 Arena, and KOF XIII all have a similar thing going with the sprites that had 3D models made for reference (I think), but I was talking about the Guilty Gear Xrd thing, which is 3D models running in real time that are purposefully animated less fluidly than most 3D models to give the illusion of sprite animation.

shaowebb

Source: http://cyberfanatix.com/forums/index.php/topic,2602.0/topicseen.html
- According to next.rikunabi.com the next KOF is coming next year to celebrate the 20th Anniversary of the game.

- Many overseas staffs from America, France, South Korea, and China also participated in the project.

- 3D Technology will be used instead of 2D Sprites to create the Next-Generation of KOF.

- The developers are working very hard about how they will represent the 2D image in 3D !!

- The game seems is planned for PS3 and XBOX 360.

BRB

Cryxok

I really want a new KoF. KoFXIII is awesome but it's roster is somewhat small to my tastes; If this is true I won't need to wait much longer for more KoF goodness.

-goes back to wait for tomorrow's Grand Finals-

shaowebb

My guess is since it was so costly and difficult to do this stuff as HD sprites it'd be easier to model and render out their animations using cel shaded 3d models and then go an incorporate those rendered frames as 2D animations. If not then I seriously doubt they would be doing another truly 3d tekken style fighter. KoF would likely just be HD models on a side view plane like MK9 or something.

In any case though them going 3D allows them to do alt outfits and not just palette swaps!

Here's hoping Duke and all the rest of Maximum Impact stay gone and that folks like Oswald, Whip, Rock Howard, Duck King and Team Orochi come BACK!

The Light

I really want a new KoF. KoFXIII is awesome but it's roster is somewhat small to my tastes; If this is true I won't need to wait much longer for more KoF goodness.

-goes back to wait for tomorrow's Grand Finals-

Small in what sense? Characters you like?

fates

RIP sprites :( XIII looked so good, too. Would loved to have seen them build off that foundation for HD sprites.

GhaleonQ

I cosign all of that.

I would love a new kof, I've been playing xuandou zhiwang and the lack of consistent competition that speaks the same language (or doesn't live more than 2000 miles away) makes playing a hassle sometimes, though it is a very well done fighter for what it is.

Top Bottom