• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teen gets heart attack from playing Sonic, dies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pikawil

Unconfirmed Member
Lock if old.

A UK teen with an undiagnosed condition suffered a heart attack while playing Xbox, and later died after two days on life support. He was 16.

Jake Gallagher was playing his favorite Sonic The Hedgehog game in April when he had Sudden Arrhythmic Death Syndrome, The Sun reported today. He was revived by first responders but declared brain dead and went on life support.

His mother, 46-year-old Sarah Pyatt, told the paper. "Sonic The Hedgehog was his favorite. He would get over-excited, jumping up and down, screaming at the screen."

[...]

A hospital professor in London told reporters that there is a "definite risk in predisposed young people playing video games that causes surges of adrenalin in the blood."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/16/jake-gallagher-xbox-heart-attack_n_3605082.html

CTLance

Well, at least he died while doing what he loved most. RIP, Jake.

Edit: beaten like Robotnik by Smooth Operator. Darn.

SparkTR

How does this happen? I remember a classmate died from the same thing after a run, he was extremely fit as well.

Which sonic game was it?
Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Next-Gen_Box_Art.JPG

Robin64

A hospital professor in London told reporters that there is a "definite risk in predisposed young people playing video games that causes surges of adrenalin in the blood."

And, in fact, most other activities that young people do.

Rich!

Someone I know died from this exact same condition, but during a game of football. Collapsed, died in the air ambulance. I do a charity event for CRY (charity) every year or so to raise money.

even so, fucking lol at the first post.

Hanmik

How does this happen? I remember a classmate died from the same thing after a run, he was extremely fit as well.

this kid had Asperger´s Syndrome. Which means he probably played the same game over and over, because it was part of his routine. When people with this syndrome do these kind of "routine activities", they tend to get over excited and sometimes that can cause a heart attack..

it´s a combination of his disease, physical state and stress...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Sudden arrhythmia death syndrome has more to do with genetics than anything else.
Just saying why it could belong on gaming side rather than off topic.

Of course the big fear is if one gets an adrenalin rush during a pleasure session. In those last moments you'll need to close the tabs and pull your trousers up.

IMGF

Neo Member
gotta go fast.

Goddamit, why did I laugh so hard.

But I'm not really seeing the connection to Sonic as I don't think the actual game killed him, but rather the condition of his heart. Though, if he was playing Sonic 06, I immediately see why he would have a heart attack. I nearly did too surviving my way through it.

DiscoJer

While you think it would be anything that got people excited, Berzerk gave two different people heart attacks, and I don't think any other old arcade game even had one. Hell, I think Defender/Stargate would be the one to cause deaths, people really got worked up over that.

Or DDR, for more recent games.

Zukuu

Banned
So young... da fuq.

You are never safe. Everyone can be "the other one" it happens to. No matter the shit. Better enjoy your life. I do.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Lots of awesome things cause a sudden surge of adrenaline. Sports, sex, a really good theatre experience, etc.
I suppose the difference is that many see videogames as a way to wind down and thus don't realise that they too can cause the rush in adrenaline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom