• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overlooked Wii gems

geebee

Banned
I always thought of the Wii as an extension of the PS2 in terms of the variety and types of games that were released for it. What are some titles that a lot of gamers might have missed, but are actually well worth playing? I'm thinking of games like Elebits, Opoona, Endless Ocean, etc. I'm thinking of building up my Wii collection.

Amneisac

250px-Zack_%26_Wiki_-_Quest_for_Barbaros'_Treasure_Coverart.png

Zack and Wiki! (this was overlooked, right?)

Murrah

Banned
Little King's Story is probably top 5 games on the system and no one played it. Dunno how that Vita remake/reimagining or whatever turned out, but either way it needs to be played

Snookie

Wow I forgot about Zack and Wiki. That came out in 2007. Surprised capcom did nothing else with it but then again i'm not surprised because capcom

jmls1121

Banned
A Boy and his Blob is such a wonderful, unique title. It puts me in a dream state.

de blob 2 is really awesome as well.

Sin and Punishment 2 may be the best rail shooter ever

Muramasa

Zack and Wiki

Little King's Story.

Endless Ocean 1 and

Plus 20-25 more.

Seriously, anytime someone says the Wii had no games, that person loses all credibility with me. The Wii had tons of engaging and innovative titles.

Amneisac

A Boy and his Blob is such a wonderful, unique title. It puts me in a dream state.

de blob 2 is really awesome as well.

Sin and Punishment 2 may be the best rail shooter ever

Muramasa

Zack and Wiki

Little King's Story.

Endless Ocean 1 and

Plus 20-25 more.

Seriously, anytime someone says the Wii had no games, that person loses all credibility with me. The Wii had tons of engaging and innovative titles.

I think the common criticism isn't that Wii had no games, just that no one bought them. At least if it's anyone with some sense!

orborborb

Kororinpa is still the best use of a gyroscope for gameplay in my opinion. The sequel was also decent if you used the code to unlock the editable ball and maxed out the "slide" value so it didn't stick to the track like glue

Ghost Squad is the first arcade shooter I would recommend anyone own.

I didn't care for The Last Story or Xenoblade but I quite like Pandora's Tower. Slightly clunky to control but a good plot and good dungeon design, felt a bit like those old Enix SNES action-rpgs or the PS2 Rygar.

Alfredo

Silent Hill Shattered Memories

It's a game celebrated by many, but I would say it's "overlooked" 'cause a lot of Silent Hill fans poop on it. That shouldn't discourage anyone from playing it, though. It's brilliant.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yes :(

Also Wario Land Shake It! excellent platformer, a beautiful cartoony style.
You know what, I actually bought Zack and Wiki on day 1...and have only played it for 30 minutes. I don't know why I never gave it a fair shot but somehow it slipped into my collection virtually unplayed. That's not something I normally do either. I should really go back and give it another shot.

The Wii does actually have a pretty solid library, though. It took a while, but once it got going, it really delivered a lot of cool little games.

Little King's Story is always the go to answer, but that's pretty well-known compared to some ACTUAL hidden gems like The Munchables. It's like Katari + Pacman. Definitely a fun game that no one played.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Klonoa - A remake of the 1997 PS1 game. One of the best platformers ever, without a doubt. In my book, it's second only to Yoshi's Island.

A Boy and His Blob - An adorable adventure game with fantastic 2D art.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - Basically what Silent Hill always should have been.

Sin & Punishment 2 - One of the best action games ever made. Really challenging, really fast-paced, and absurdly satisfying.

Tenchu 4 - It's a return to form for the series. Still old-school as all get-out (in case that sorta thing bothers you), but it's a true stealth game.

Punch Out - Seems like nobody really played the game, but... it's Punch Out. And it's phenomenal. It's a bullshit-free game from Nintendo!

No More Heroes 2 - Not a whole lot of people played the sequel, but I felt like it was better than the original in just about every way. Plus, the 8-bit mini games are rad.

There's a lot more, but those are the first bunch of games that came to mind. The Wii is a much better system than people realize.

upandaway

Man, so many. Like 90% of the games I have for the Wii could be considered "overlooked gems".

Also Wario Land Shake It! excellent platformer, a beautiful cartoony style.
Came into the thread to say this. I had a pretty average time playing it, but then I came back to it and 100%'d it. It's one of my favorite games ever now.

I love its use of achievements, it's the only way I consider achievements should be done.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Klonoa - A remake of the 1997 PS1 game. One of the best platformers ever, without a doubt. In my book, it's second only to Yoshi's Island.
Man, I was there day 1 with that. One of my favorite Wii games, in fact.

Now that I think about it, I actually own complete copies of ALL Klonoa games including the Wonderswan title. I'll never forget when I walked in to buy Klonoa 2 back in 2001 and the clerk asked me if I was there to pick up NCAA Football 2002 like everyone else. They only received two copies of Klonoa 2 and I was the first one to even ask about it. >_<

People will laugh at me for this, but Necro-Nesia (Escape From Bug Island) is actually a lot of fun! Doesn't take itself seriously and is a bit clunky, but go in with low expectations and you should have fun. Pretty cheap by now I'd imagine, given it was a launch game.

Silent Hill Shattered Memories - motion controls really enhance the experience, the amount of detail is pretty great as well.

Rune Factory Frontier - Harvest Moon x Loot RPG, it's a fucking time eating monster.

Another Code:R - if you've played other CiNG games you know what you can expect. Somewhat slow paced adventure that's beautiful to look at/listen to

Murrah

Banned

This is word for word how I describe the game to everyone I talk to about it. I honestly think it has the most satisfying mechanics of any 2D platformer I've ever played. Such a shame it's so short, because I feel like they could have gone at least a little bit further with ramping up the jump-grab-jump gameplay without it getting stale

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I can be here all day namedropping so many wii gems, but I'd like to give a shoutout to rhythm heaven fever, its a rhythm game that actually has decent original music without relying on any licensed music

Fox Mulder

The Wii's library is nothing but overlooked gems.

yep, everything good got buried by a couple of Nintendo franchises. Even some of their games probably bombed.

I love all the Sega lightgun games. Ghost Squad, House of the Dead 2 & 3, House of the Dead Overkill, and Gunblade NY/LA Machineguns.

Sin and Punishment 2 is amazing, and shouldn't exist in this current industry.

Little King's Story is always the go to answer, but that's pretty well-known compared to some ACTUAL hidden gems like The Munchables. It's like Katari + Pacman. Definitely a fun game that no one played.

Yeah, I really enjoyed The Muchables. I'm surprised that it didn't get more attention.. and by more I mean at least some.

Also, Heavenly Guardian which was supposed to be part of the KiKi KaiKai series before they lost the license. That one is a lot of fun as well.

Chojin

Opoona was a great RPG that nobody ever played.

Wario Ware for Wii was pretty damn hiliarious, in fact i'm going to play it again tonight now that I remembered it.

mrmickfran

By far one of Treasure's best games. Right up there with Gunstar Heroes and Ikaruga.

For all you Club Nintendo members, this game can be found super cheap ($15 on Amazon, $20 at Gamestop) and can still gives off 50 coins.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Man, going through this thread and the other Wii recommendation one today, there's a lot of cool stuff that I still haven't gotten around to. I think it'll be interesting to see how people look at the system say... 5 years down the road. Eventually, people are going to realize that the system wasn't all waggle bullshit, and find that there's a shit ton of good games they've probably never heard of.

In any case, now's the time to finish off that collection, since the games are literally dirt cheap.

No, really. At the garden center earlier today, bags of dirt were actually more expensive than some Wii games are, sealed.

Top Bottom