• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crytek shuts down their websites for "security reasons", asks to change your password

Got this in my mail.

Dear *redacted*,

We recently became aware of suspicious activity relating to some of Crytek’s websites, and acted quickly to take those websites offline for security reasons.

The sites listed below are currently offline:

Crytek.com
Mycryengine.com
Crydev.net
MyCrysis.com

The following Crytek sites remain online and are not affected by these issues:

GFACE.com
Crysis.com
Warface.com

If you have an account at crydev.net or mycrysis.com, you will be asked to change your password next time you log in. If you use your current password anywhere else online, we would also suggest that you reset it at those sites.

We are working on getting all websites fully operational again as soon as possible. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience.

The Crytek Team

SJRB

Gold Member
It's pretty obvious what those "security issues" are.

If you use your current password anywhere else online, we would also suggest that you reset it at those sites.

gg Crytek.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
According to my LastPass Vault, I do have an account at MyCrysis.com.

That is why i have an separate passwords for forums.
Im getting sick of changing it every time when some forum gets hacked.

SgtCobra

If you have an account at crydev.net or mycrysis.com, you will be asked to change your password next time you log in. If you use your current password anywhere else online, we would also suggest that you reset it at those sites.
Cryty pls

because of shit like this I make sure every single site I sign up to has it's own unique password. I then keep these passwords in an encrypted file with a master password. Now if I can do basic security to keep my passwords safe why can't these bloody multi-billion dollar companies do it ?

Truth be known though I am getting fed up of creating accounts and passwords so 9 times out of 10 if I visit a site and have to create an account I just move on.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
http://www.vg247.com/2013/08/05/crytek-takes-four-websites-offline-due-to-suspicious-activity/

Crytek has now issued a statement to Eurogamer to make clear that user details may have been accessed as part of the security breach and to urge membes to change their credentials as soon as possible.

“Our Crytek.com, Mycryengine.com, Crydev.net and MyCrysis.com sites were all subject to a security breach that may have resulted in some users’ login data being compromised. Although it is uncertain whether the incident led to the copying and decryption of email addresses and passwords, it is possible that users with accounts at these websites have had personal data copied.

“On Friday afternoon we started to contact all affected users via email and informed them of the potential security breach. Next time account holders visit crydev.net, mycryengine.com or mycrysis.com, they will be asked to change their passwords during log in.

“We would like to reiterate our suggestion to account holders that they change their password for other locations online if it is the same as their login data for the affected Crytek sites.

“Final details of when our sites will be back online will be communicated as soon as possible. We’re currently doing everything in our power to ensure our sites and, more importantly, our users, are not affected by such issues in future.

“Once again, we would like to offer our sincere apologies to everyone affected by this incident, and thank our users for the level of understanding they have shown.”

Skyzard

Banned
If you're a fan of crysis you probably have more money for a nice rig and accounts with credit cards that won't bounce.

I think at this point, with the amount of successful hacks in the past few years, any company that hasn't gone over the security of the data they've collected from people with a fine tooth comb, and instead has done nothing until they actually get hacked and are forced to do something about it, is bordering on gross incompetence. How many more times do we have to hear this story before companies think it's worth taking preventative action over? Actually, let me answer that: as long as the only hit they'll take is a minor PR one (people are getting increasingly used to finding these "change your password because we got hacked" emails in their inbox), and they're not legally culpable for anything that happens, I'm sure it's very easy to make the call to do nothing and fix it after the horse has bolted.

I think at this point, with the amount of successful hacks in the past few years, any company that hasn't gone over the security of the data they've collected from people with a fine tooth comb, and instead has done nothing until they actually get hacked and are forced to do something about it, is bordering on gross incompetence. How many more times do we have to hear this story before companies think it's worth taking preventative action over? Actually, let me answer that: as long as the only hit they'll take is a minor PR one (people are getting increasingly used to finding these "change your password because we got hacked" emails in their inbox), and they're not legally culpable for anything that happens, I'm sure it's very easy to make the call to do nothing and fix it after the horse has bolted.

Im pretty sure people don't even care anymore.
I wouldn't be surprised to see im in one of the databases right with an list of text and encrypted password. Because of all the databases that have been hacked the last 2~3 years.

Glad i use prepaid cards so if i get fucked it will be limited to like $4~5 i only put credit on it if im buying something and then when its on the card buy it i will have some leftover cash but it will be sub $10.

Duster

If you can't even trust Germans to look after your data who can you trust?
(As that country has stronger data protection laws than most)

Ywap

Has anyone managed to change their password on MyCrysis.com using the replacement login email?

No matter what password i try i get this:

"Oops, something went wrong there. Password is invalid (must be mixed case and must contain letters and numbers)"

Top Bottom