• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEM |OT| Science, Technology, Engineering and Math Community Thread

The Lamp

I figured this thread was long overdue!
Sorry for the rather basic OP but I can always change it if necessary.

What is STEM?
STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering and Math. Any careers or college majors that fall into these categories make you a STEM!

Why do STEM?

STEM have some of the greatest career prospects right now compared to some other career paths and majors, and we often make more money than others.

We STEM's have some of the hardest college career paths known to man and we constantly innovate, design, and push the limits of human knowledge and potential. From bridges, to medicine, to string theory to the latest in mathematical advances, we do it all. So you want a challenge? Get ready.

Please use this as a place to commune and socialize with other STEM majors and professionals. Feel free to post your major or the type of job you do, what you hope to do with your career, or what you are currently doing with your career and what you like about it! Got a nasty exam you're worried about or dissertation to defend? Make yourself at home. Tired of being in the lab all night or writing that research paper? We understand. Nervous about that interview tomorrow? Have a seat. Don't understand what the hell your professor is talking about? Story of our lives. Just want to talk about a new scientific study or this long proof you can't figure out? Do tell. Having trouble figuring out if STEM is right for you? Stick around.

dRZQl6R.gif

PS: If you don't read xkcd, you should.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a Chemical Engineering major entering my 4th year (I transferred in late and so it will take me 5 years to finish). This semester I will be taking Fluid Mechanics, Numerical Methods, Organic Chemistry II Lab, Materials Science, and Research hours. I hope to get an internship next summer.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Chemistry major, fresh off a 6-month internship with NASA here.

This semester:
Organic Chemistry III
Biochemistry I
Chemistry Seminar
Inorganic Chemistry
American Literature I
Philosophy and Literature

History major graduated with a BA in Dec. 2012.... Wait I think I'm in the wrong area! Started as a CS major in college and also did science/per-engineering magnet programs in secondary school. Couple years of programming under the old belt.

But I am responsible for recruiting STEM focused students. Imagine that lols. It's exciting so far and it's good to help counsel students on these programs. The school I'm at is actually newly established and the first class for the university is in fall 2014. The university is a STEM focused one - applied research and hands on emphasis.

So from the administrative admissions side I with my team have a lot of opportunity to help establish policy and attempt to cater the most to STEM students as they go throughout undergrad.

The Lamp

Chemistry major, fresh off a 6-month internship with NASA here.

This semester:
Organic Chemistry III
Biochemistry I
Chemistry Seminar
Inorganic Chemistry
American Literature I
Philosophy and Literature

I'm considering doing one with NASA too. I know a woman in charge of the co-op program and she made it sound great so I wanna try that.

History major graduated with a BA in Dec. 2012.... Wait I think I'm in the wrong area! Started as a CS major in college and also did science/per-engineering magnet programs in secondary school. Couple years of programming under the old belt.

But I am responsible for recruiting STEM focused students. Imagine that lols. It's exciting so far and it's good to help counsel students on these programs. The school I'm at is actually newly established and the first class for the university is in fall 2014. The university is a STEM focused one - applied research and hands on emphasis.

So from the administrative admissions side I with my team have a lot of opportunity to help establish policy and attempt to cater the most to STEM students as they go throughout undergrad.

That's really cool! Why did you decide to get involved with STEM students that way if you ended up graduating as a History major, if I may ask?

Milchjon

Majoring in a mix of CS/EE. I enjoy it a lot, but I started it really late (already have a degree in a completely unrelated field) and damn, it's kicking my butt.

Oh well, if I fail out, I'll just have to actually start working ;-)

That's really cool! Why did you decide to get involved with STEM students that way if you ended up graduating as a History major, if I may ask?

It was really just a cool challenge. Couldn't pass up an opportunity to assist in building up of a new state university. My current role is in admissions but eventually I want to get more into enrolled student affairs/services type of positions and leadership roles. I'm also starting up my masters of education degree at Northeastern University concentrating in higher education administration. Took months and months and months of deep thought and reflection to determine this is the role for me given a lot of my experiences in undergrad.

And for STEM specifically, I do have some history with it in the sense I'm not completely lost on some of the issues that arise with students as they go through their studies. I also found that although I'm a logical thinker like an engineering student usually is(tons of assessment tests always say I should be in engineering or a related field), I don't like actually working with it that much lol. Could very well be a "those who can't, teach" type of situation. Who knows.

I've found that I feel more rewarded in helping or advising the student or building policies for the operation of an organization, etc. And if I can do that at a STEM-focused school knowing there is a big need for those students - especially in the US, well, I'll be all over that. We're a state school but must go through the full regional accrediation process, won't be offering federal financial aid and the curriculum/housing/other services are still in progress. I'm one of the first couple dozen staff. All that adds to the challenge which I'm absolutely crazy about but at the same time I'm sure I'll have some sleepless nights as these things continue on leading up to the first enrollment.

Why history? Eh, got my out of school quickly as I was overstaying my undergrad welcome and I knew at the very least I could be creative with how I presented it in order to leverage it to my advantage in graduate applications when I thought the time was right.

Samk

I'm thinking about switching my major to Biochem from political science(har har)/econ. Do you know of any books that would aid in the transition? I really enjoyed Dawkins selfish gene, maybe something in that vein? I have a little chem so technical is fine (but hopefully not boring!).

Thanks for the help!

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I'm considering doing one with NASA too. I know a woman in charge of the co-op program and she made it sound great so I wanna try that.

It was a great experience. I'm really missing working there right now. I also still have access to my nasa.gov email for some reason though, haha.

The Lamp

I'm thinking about switching my major to Biochem from political science(har har)/econ. Do you know of any books that would aid in the transition? I really enjoyed Dawkins selfish gene, maybe something in that vein? I have a little chem so technical is fine (but hopefully not boring!).

Thanks for the help!

I suggest reading some light textbooks so you get a realistic idea of what it's actually like to learn that stuff rather than just read about it. I haven't ready Selfish Gene, but it's one thing to read about the marvels of a subject and to actually learn the subject (which can be technical, boring, etc.) and you have to be prepared to deal with that if you want to major in it.

You should become familiar with organic chemistry and there are lots of good resources to dip your toes in this, like Khan Academy. Organic chemistry is the language that biochemistry is written in, as far as I know.

Did a little bit of research. It seems this book has gotten a lot of praise.

It was a great experience. I'm really missing working there right now. I also still have access to my nasa.gov email for some reason though, haha.

That's good to hear :) I'll keep that in mind and get in contact to apply for that program.

I'm thinking about applying to medical school. It's something that's been lingering in my mind for a year or two now. Did the proper research and know what I have to do now, but I dunno, so many years of school has me kind of down since I wouldn't be done with residency and such until I'm like 32 o_o

I want to just ask someone who's an electrical engineer (Honestly probably even a hobbyist could answer my questions). It's in regards to wireless audio and microphones over 2.4ghz bands. If you have the time for a few questions, I'd greatly appreciate it. I want to do a little project and I don't even know where to begin.

I know this is a massive necro bump. But I feel like it's the appropriate place to post this, prior to making a thread... which I'm not sure is even ok.

Top Bottom