• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earl Sweatshirt - Doris - 8/20/13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jitters

CrOkTER.jpg

1. Pre (ft. SK La' Flare)
2. Burgundy (ft. Vince Staples)
3. 20 Wave Caps (ft. Domo Genesis)
4. Sunday (ft. Frank Ocean)
5. Hive (ft. Vince Staples and Casey Veggies)
6. Chum
7. Sasquatch (ft. Tyler, The Creator)
8. Centurion (ft. Vince Staples)
9. 523
10. Uncle Al
11. Guild (ft. Mac Miller)
12. Molasses (ft. RZA)
13. Whoa (ft. Tyler, The Creator)
14. Hoarse
15. Knight (ft. Domo Genesis)

It's not as exciting as I was hoping it'd be.

Still got some dope tracks.

Favorites are: Knights, 20 Wave Caps, Sunday, Chum, Hive, Molasses and Burgandy.

imma fuck the freckles off yo face bitch

Really like the sample on Knights.

I heard it first off of New Wu. This shit still dope

Also way to many features for a Debut album.. cmonson.

how you gonna have a feature on the first track of your debut

HiiiLife

I like it. And I still feel the same. Only weak tracks are Whoa and Guild IMO. The Tyler feature on Sasquatch was a little deterring at first, but Earl rapped a cool verse on it.

Dereck

A quick thought, the idea that this album was extremely hyped might become a problem for everyone. Earl didn't hype anything, he's fans did, and his fans are silly. I think the hype alone can let down a lot of people.

HiResDes

Vince Staples > Earl anyway.

Ferg's shit is better than this. DA$H's V.I.C.E.S. is better.Key Nyata's Shadowed Diamond is better. Vince Staples last mixtape was better. Also my friend, not me of course, did a spectral analysis in Adobe Audition and he said that any leaks are awful transcodes...Hopefully the album wasn't mastered this way. There are a few hype ass tracks that I love but for the most part shit is a bore

...Chum is still my shit though.

Jitters

Vince Staples > Earl anyway.

Ferg's shit is better than this. DA$H's V.I.C.E.S. is better.Key Nyata's Shadowed Diamond is better. Vince Staples last mixtape was better. Also my friend, not me of course, did a spectral analysis in Adobe Audition and he said that any leaks are awful transcodes...Hopefully the album wasn't mastered this way. There are a few hype ass tracks that I love but for the most part shit is a bore

No.

Dereck

Earl sounding too monotone without anything else to make up for it is becoming a common complaint with this album.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
This is how many albums are, though? Rap albums generally list the featured guests more often because it's more obvious as they are rapping instead of playing an instrument or producing.
I mean I get it and it makes even more sense because its early but the look at that track listing. How many songs are just him? 3/15 lol wtf is that shit?

I mean I get it and it makes even more sense because its early but the look at that track listing. How many songs are just him?
Why does it matter? No one goes into any rap album expecting just to hear the one guy. The rap albums when you do listen to only one guy are exhausting, too. It's good to have the flow and mood change up every few verses.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Why does it matter? No one goes into any rap album expecting just to hear the one guy. The rap albums when you do listen to only one guy are exhausting, too. It's good to have the flow and mood change up every few verses.
Never said I wanted no guests. I just said I didn't want earl and friends implying he's making a collab album instead of a solo album lol.

Jitters

I'm not going to say too much as I have only heard the album once, but the only problem Earl really has is that he is too monotone.

He falls in that group with Staples, Ka, and Jae. Good rappers, but are too boring to want to listen to for an extended period of time.

Dereck

I'm trying to figure out the difference between him on EARL and on Doris. He was kind of monotone on EARL, but not entirely.

HiResDes

Yeah but he got more personal on Earl IIRC, like if the album had a couple more songs like Chum it would be a 8.5/10 instead of a 7.5/10.

rdrr gnr

Earl sounding too monotone without anything else to make up for it is becoming a common complaint with this album.
And almost every song he has ever done. He's a better lyricist than most of OF but is a terrible, terrible performer. It's embarrassing and annoying as I have to listen to his monotone drone on great tracks like Rusty and Orange Juice. I'll listen to this album to see if any features can carry a track but have no interested in Early-only jams.

HiiiLife

^yeah my friends tried listening to Doris and it was a bore for them. It personally doesn't bother me on here, and it didn't back then when I first heard his OG mixtape. Regardless, I dig the kids rhymes. As long as the lines are cool, I'll listen. But obviously if the energy was more enthusiastic I'd like Earl's shit a lotttttttt more. I still fucks with him doe, sleepy flow and all. Lol. Solid debut IMO.

overcast

I'm okay with the lazy flow, though I would enjoy a little more energy. Seems like he could be great if he delivered his lyrics much better, kind of works though.

I'll see how the album is later.

I liked his lazy flow on a lot of Earl and thought it worked well on his feature on Super Rich Kids, but I'm not sure I could handle a full album of it. Hmm.

Been looking forward to this for ages. Still early on. Burgundy and 20 are fucking dope. I'm hoping this will be the first legitimately decent release from the OF crew since they blew up.

Cheddahz

Banned
The only tracks I care for are Burgundy (mainly because of the beat) and Hive (mainly because of Vince's verse). This album just feels too forced and I wish Earl would actually sound like he wants to rap or something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom