• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony talks about whether they will make another handheld after the Vita

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Perhaps they're thinking of an Android device with physical controls?

CVG said:
CVG: With regards to PS Vita, it has struggled to match the kind of sales Sony achieved with PSP. And considering the decline of the handheld market in general, I wonder if you think Vita will be Sony's final handheld? In the long-term, is this a business you feel you can still pursue?

Yoshida: Yeah I think we can still pursue it, and I don't think we have to make that decision now. Also, the distinction between the portables and mobile is [blurring], because there are all kinds of hybrids, different form factors and operating systems can still be conceived, in terms of how we characterise portable and mobile. We still like PS Vita and we know people who buy it really like it.
Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.co...rview-shuhei-yoshida-on-ps4s-indie-explosion/

entremet

Not surprising dedicated gaming devices are on their way out sadly. Nintendo may continue to eek out success with the kid's market.

Alienous

The Playstation Vita was really an all out effort. Probably Sony's last ditch attempt to see if mobile gaming had really taken the position handheld consoles once had. It is one of the greatest handheld devices to have ever existed, but the market just isn't there anymore.

No, we probably won't be seeing another handheld from Sony.

SmokyDave

Indeed, the Vita is a swan song for non-Nintendo dedicated handhelds.

And what a sweet song it is.

Nintendo and Sony should join forces on a super handheld.
Great for gamers, but I don't see what's in it for Nintendo. Their software shifts any old hardware, they might as well keep doing what they're doing.

It'll be a Sony phone game device if anything.

hopefully battery tech will be improved by then.

I get maybe 5 hours best on my vita with battery saving practices?

my phone needs to last me the entire day.

We are all pretty much smartphones tethered to fleshy human shells these days.

Shahed

I'd rather they didn't, even if I do enjoy my Vita. They seem so much more at home and assured on consoles

Nintendo and Sony should join forces on a super handheld.

Or this! Nintendo have the same problem as Sony but in reverese. Joining forces on a super handheld and a super console would in a way be my biggest wish in something gaming related. It's a pipe dream though

dezzy8

I think that the Vita should be their last portable console. I love my Vita, but I'd rather Sony focus on their home consoles which are more successful.

Scum

Just sanction make one a Vita 2.0 for Nintendo instead. Both company "problems" will be solved.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I'd say it's promising if they aren't planning on making another one. Sony is at their best on consoles. And it's clearly where most of their developers want to work.
Plenty of developers in the world who are quite at home making games for small screens. Just hire some.

gogogow

The Playstation Vita was really an all out effort. Probably Sony's last ditch attempt to see if mobile gaming had really taken the position handheld consoles once had. It is one of the greatest handheld devices to have ever existed, but the market just isn't there anymore.

No, we probably won't be seeing another handheld from Sony.

All out effort? They threw the Vita onto retailers shelves, other than that, they did squat supporting it. It is finding some niche in Japan and that's thanks to third party games, not Sony's output. All out effort would've been Sony securing the Monster Hunter exclusivity in Japan. I still don't understand how the fuck they could let that one slip out of their hands. Looking at 3DS, the market is obviously still there, Sony just doesn't have a clue what to do with the Vita, other than being a add-on for the PS4.

Glass Rebel

Great for gamers, but I don't see what's in it for Nintendo. Their software shifts any old hardware, they might as well keep doing what they're doing.

Better tech (as in OS, online system etc.) and more software support. Well, maybe PSP-era Sony for the latter.

Acccent

A good gaming-focused phone from Sony with the kind of indie lineup you see on Vita, meant to be an alternative to the iPhone and its damn exclusive gems (Sword&Sworcery initially, Year Walk, etc), would get all of my money

SmokyDave

You should speak for yourself.
Sure. I care about power which is why I'd never 'main' a Nintendo handheld.

Are you suggesting that Nintendos core demographic care about power? How do they reconcile that with the fact that Nintendo make relatively weak hardware?

The same way Vita users don't care about games?
That doesn't even make sense dude, the Vita has a higher attach rate than the 3DS.

Kyoufu

I'd say it's promising if they aren't planning on making another one. Sony is at their best on consoles. And it's clearly where most of their developers want to work.

I somehow doubt Sony is going to allow Nintendo to have the whole handheld pie.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Indies basically, and they already did that. Some of the response even in dedicated gaming forum like gaf is that it didn't count. :(
Which is why I was saying they should bring some on staff internally. Sony's greatly improved relationship with indies is very nice, but dedicated game hardware still needs dedicated (i.e. 1st party) game software.

SmokyDave

Well... he is right... otherwise we'd be seeing better tech coming from Nintendo because of the demand from Nintendo fans. Most seem to be content with the games Nintendo put out, and that's perfectly fine.

Yeah, I probably should've stressed that. It's not that they're 'wrong', it's just that their priorities don't lie in hardware power.

Elios83

I don't think we'll see more dedicated handheld devices from them, that market is gone, they know it.
But there is certainly room for a Playstation Tablet which on top of everything Android allows exclusive access to a whole Playstation games library through Gaiakai, services like Playstation Plus and so on.

Yeah, I probably should've stressed that. It's not that they're 'wrong', it's just that their priorities don't lie in hardware power.

To help you out. I doubt your priorities are in in hardware power (it sounds like you're saying that). To me, and the reason why I've been behind Sony for so long is:

tumblr_mf9j6bY1W21rkkme9o1_500.png

Shahed

I somehow doubt Sony is going to allow Nintendo to have the whole handheld pie.

But you can already see dedicated handhelds not being as important (sadly) anymore. Look at the collaboration between 3rd party Japanese publishers so they can bypass GREE and the like, and how more resources are being allocated to mobile.

Doctor Ninja

Sphincter Speaker
Sony didn't put a lot of effort into supporting it's own handheld and the marketing for it was not that good. Sony platforms were always known for their strong 3rd party support and even the early PS3 years were weak, the rest of the PS3's life cycle had a great support, but sadly their first party line-up isn't a system seller. Nintendo has Mario and Pokemon, these two alone could ship a lot of unites and sadly Sony doesn't have the equivalent.

Kyoufu

But you can already see dedicated handhelds not being as important (sadly) anymore. Look at the collaboration between 3rd party Japanese publishers so they can bypass GREE and the like, and how more resources are being allocated to mobile.

They have options though.

They could make a gaming-centric phone like a new Xperia Play except without Ericsson ruining it, while offering a cheaper standalone device running on the same (Android) OS.

They'll obviously do their R&D.

Top Bottom