• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Points Are Dead

Gowans

It had to happen, we knew it was happening but in a lot of ways ill miss these.

The deals/free points were great but he very best thing for me was points enabling a one price world wide where we didn't get stung with the UK game price RRP inflation.

so as long as they are in a store you can still buy them or online and redeem the codes I assume?

Also will new cards be made with currency on them because I'm not giving MS my cc info.

Prediction: Microsoft will still run promotions with partners but instead of getting points you will get currency

XBLA becomes irrelevant as a platform

edit. Logged into Xbox.com PC games are gone, and so is my credit. Any idea when they're going to give me my money back?

MarkusRJR

Thank fucking god. In Canada you could only buy points in 500 point intervals despite the fact things are priced in 400 point intervals. Who the fuck thought that was a good idea?

RE_Player

Thank fucking god. In Canada you could only buy points in 500 point intervals despite the fact things are priced in 400 point intervals. Who the fuck thought that was a good idea?

God it was so annoying. Only XBLA games I bought were Geometry Wars 2 and UNO.

Anyone know if tax is applied in Canada, specifically Ontario. PSN doesn't charge tax so I hope it's the same with Microsoft as well.

border

Good riddance. It'll be nice to be able to see how much things actually cost without having to do a bunch of math in my head.

FeiRR

Banned

That's a profitable idea hence good for Microsoft.

It will be interesting for some people to see now that the same games on XBL are more expensive than on PSN.

Phew... I thought all my MS points would be thrown into the trash. They converted it to money. Man, I was really scared there for a second.

Is there a way to see my new account balance on xbox.com? When buying a game it only gives me the option to pay with a new credit card, even though I had 1300 points left.

Does the conversion only happen when I access my account on the console?

Prediction: Microsoft will still run promotions with partners but instead of getting points you will get currency

XBLA becomes irrelevant as a platform

edit. Logged into Xbox.com PC games are gone, and so is my credit. Any idea when they're going to give me my money back?

How exactly will XBLA become irrelevant as a platform because of a move to currency? Is the same true of PSN?

Sad to see them go. I had 4840 points which has translated to £41.17.

But I only paid £26 for 4200 points not that long ago. On the face of it, it seems as though I did well. But when do you think I'll next see an offer online for the equivalent value of £26 for 4200 points now it is just currency. Hint: hardly fucking ever :/

Slygmous

From the FAQ:
The currency we add to your account at the time of the transition will expire on June 1, 2015. However, the currency you purchase and add to your account after the transition will not expire.

Yeah I know.
I just liked the points.

I got some awesome deals here in Australia :(

To all the people moaning, why don't you stock up for the next 10 years? If you're so invested in the platform. People do it when stamp prices increase... why not Microsoft points?

I haven't really been purchasing anything recently since my games will never carry over. That being said, the points system had its good and bad points.

The good: For us Brits, the pricing was fairer.

The bad: I hateed buying points in bulk, only to be left with 40 unspent points.

Lima

From the FAQ:
The currency we add to your account at the time of the transition will expire on June 1, 2015. However, the currency you purchase and add to your account after the transition will not expire.

Can any of you guys check if this is true?

I was in the beta and my shit expires June 2014. I want to know if they fixed it for the final.

Go to https://commerce.microsoft.com/PaymentHub/PaymentInstrument and check the date on the right.

I found that before, it just tells me this (sorry for the German)

PUOdkWL.png

And I can't seem to convert them or use them on marketplace purchases

Sad to see them go. I had 4840 points which has translated to £41.17.

But I only paid £26 for 4200 points not that long ago. On the face of it, it seems as though I did well. But when do you think I'll next see an offer online for the equivalent value of £26 for 4200 points now it is just currency. Hint: hardly fucking ever :/

Stock up on points cards now?

CD Keys is (or was on Saturday) selling 4200 points for £29. That converts into just under £36 in currency.

I have 400 pts on my account which I guess is 5 bucks. I probably won't end up using them and losing them. IIRC the points that are converted to cash only last a year... which seems dumb to me. I think any additional cash you put in will not expire. I've had these same 400 pts since like 2009.

Wasn't in the beta Lima, I get what YianGaruga displays. Glad to know they're not missing though.

Thanks for the details Miles, I'll give them a week. They're probably swamped.
Yes. You need to try to buy something on your console before the conversion takes place.
This seems pretty unreasonable.. like that's why they have those "no purchase necessary" clauses right? They're basically holding your credit to ransom currently.

Rest in Peace in peace? What the hell are you talking about?

I think you mean RIP

Have you really never seen that before? People write "RIP in peace" all the time. It's like you visited NeoGAF for the first time today. It's just a stupid meme. Makes no sense but the young ones like it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

That was the point -- forcing people to purchase more points than they need in turn meant they were giving Microsoft more money than they otherwise would.

MarkusRJR

That's a profitable idea hence good for Microsoft.

It will be interesting for some people to see now that the same games on XBL are more expensive than on PSN.
It was a bad idea because almost all of my friends (except me) avoided buying points in general after seeing how fucked it was. With proper pricing they'd have kept buying points.

Rhindle

Yes. You need to try to buy something on your console before the conversion takes place.
You don't need to purchase anything. xbox.com just has not converted to the new system for whatever reason. The real money account balances only show on the console.

Lima

You don't need to purchase anything. xbox.com just has not converted to the new system for whatever reason. The real money account balances only show on the console.

Yes you do.

Xbox.com is showing real prices already. You just can't use the money from your MS account.

The conversion only takes place on the console.

Top Bottom